Bands you love...but you only like a small portion of their catalog

Na na na

Had to do this one, since it didn't quiet fit the Disliked bands thread. I have a lot of bands I really love a couple of albums from, and then they changed in a direction I didn't care for. How about it? Edited by Na na na
  • Like 1

Catherine Wheel. I really like Ferment (1992) & Chrome (1993), but nothing after those albums

This is unfortunately true. They lost the plot. Eat My Dust is a later standout, but not much aside from that.

Chrome is incredible - perhaps they didn't know how good an album they were making at the time - just luck.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Hmm . Let me think. Is there a band out there who has a part of their catalog I love, but whose sound changed drastically at one point so that I lost interest? I'm sure there's someone.

:)

Kings X is one of those - I still like their later records - with elements of genius here and there - but nothing matches their output up to Dogman.

• Like 1

Ride made to great albums in Nowhere (1990) and Going Blank Again (1992), and then....

Might as well as add The Charlatans and Oasis to the mix.

Definitely

• Like 1

The Boo Radleys came up with two great albums as well, Everything's Alright Forever (1992) & Giant Steps (1993) Many of the so called shoegaze bands made a couple of great albums and then went britpop and lost the plot
  • Like 1

Hmm . Let me think. Is there a band out there who has a part of their catalog I love, but whose sound changed drastically at one point so that I lost interest? I'm sure there's someone.

:)

All you bad bad boys

Call her up on the spank line, huh

All you bad bad boys

Call her up on the spank line, whoa

[solo]

Hey!

All you bad, bad boys

(Get your mind blown)

All you bad, bad boys

Dial 1-900-SPANKED

All you bad, bad boys

Call her up on the spank line, uh hey

All you bad, bad boys

Call her up on the spank line, ooh

All you bad, bad boys

Yeah, it's the spank line, yeah, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

All you bad (wooh) bad boys

Just, call her up, ha, call her up

1-900-SPANKED

All you bad, bad boys

1-900-SPANKED

You bad bad bad boys

All you bad, bad boys

Just call her up

It's the spank line

Yeah, oh, ow

• Like 3

Marillon:

first four with Fish - f***ing fantastic, among my favorites.

everything after that with Hogwarts - no.

Currently happening:

Steven Wilson

everything with Porcupine Tree and all of his solo albums through To the Bone - Golden Masterpieces or at least respectable and interesting efforts.

everything I have heard from the new "change of direction" album - no.

• Like 4

Kings X is one of those - I still like their later records - with elements of genius here and there - but nothing matches their output up to Dogman.

I get your drift, and Dogman is my fav, but I think Tape Head is criminally underrated. I revisited that recently and it blew the doors off. I agree after Tape Head the output is a lot more hit and miss.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Chemistry - I could make a great "Best of..." album but I could make a really nasty "Worst of..." too from

Led Zeppelin

Smashing Pumpkins

Pearl Jam

Yeah Yeah Yeahs first three albums I love. Strokes first two. Aerosmith should stop with Rocks, Ozzy`s Sabbath and nothing past that, Marillion only with Fish, Fleetwood Mac should have stopped with Tusk... all kind of obvious shouts I guess.

And of course, Van Halen post `86. Unless they release those records without the vocals.

• Like 1

The Killers - Love their first two albums. It gets shaky after that. They suffered the same fate of Oasis and The Strokes.

Weezer - Just when I thought they came back with their 2014 album and White they screw up after that. Hoping Van Weezer is a return to their rocking sound of Maladroit.

Live - Lost interest after Distance To Here.

Everclear - Haven't listened since those two Songs From An American Movie albums.

Dave Matthews Band - Stopped after Busted Street. I only listen now just for nostalgia and Carter Beauford's drumming.

Megadeth - Hit or miss after Countdown To Extinction.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

What I like, I love, but there's a lot that strikes me as meh...

Pearl Jam

DEVO

B52s

Soundgarden

Queen

Boston

April Wine

Heart

Motley Crue

Scorpions

Judas Priest

Sabbath

• Like 1

I agree with:

Marillion (Fish)

Pearl Jam (3 first)

U2 (up 2 Achtung Baby)

Smashing Pumpkins (up 2 Adore)

Radiohead (up 2 Ok Computer)

U2 lost me with NLOTH. The first half is decent but the 2nd half is boring. Pumpkins' last good one was Zeitgeist and A Moon Shaped Pool was slightly less worse than King Of Limbs.

Marillon:

Steven Wilson

everything with Porcupine Tree and all of his solo albums through To the Bone - Golden Masterpieces or at least respectable and interesting efforts.

everything I have heard from the new "change of direction" album - no.

I really wouldn't describe that as liking only "a small portion"