BAND-MAID

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

I've listened to a few of these kawaii metal bands ... Babymetal, Aldious, Band-Maid are the ones who spring to mind. I find it all a wee bit weird and creepy to be honest.

I dislike heavy metal as a genre so throwing a Kawaii voice into the mix changes the thing I dislike, making them fun and not so absurdly and consciously dark. It`s the sound of male HM vocalists I dislike, not the guitars/bass/drums, so they strike a good balance for me. As do most guitar instrumentalists. Not for everyone, I get that :haz:

You don't like metal?? :eh:

Depends what you call metal, as I think it`s absurd that Rush or VH are sometimes called Heavy Metal. They`re not to my ears. I can listen to Metallica or Megadeth but when the vocals get all growly like Anthrax or Slayer, I`m not into that.

Anthrax has some of the cleanest and melodic vocals in all of thrash metal. You must be thinking of some other band.

Not quite Geddy, Ian Gillan, DLR though.

What about Judas Priest and Maiden and Dio?

• Like 1

I've listened to a few of these kawaii metal bands ... Babymetal, Aldious, Band-Maid are the ones who spring to mind. I find it all a wee bit weird and creepy to be honest.

I dislike heavy metal as a genre so throwing a Kawaii voice into the mix changes the thing I dislike, making them fun and not so absurdly and consciously dark. It`s the sound of male HM vocalists I dislike, not the guitars/bass/drums, so they strike a good balance for me. As do most guitar instrumentalists. Not for everyone, I get that :haz:

Depends what you call metal, as I think it`s absurd that Rush or VH are sometimes called Heavy Metal. They`re not to my ears. I can listen to Metallica or Megadeth but when the vocals get all growly like Anthrax or Slayer, I`m not into that.

Anthrax has some of the cleanest and melodic vocals in all of thrash metal. You must be thinking of some other band.

Joey Belladonna(Anthrax) is a better singer than Geddy and Roth.

• Like 1

Geddy's vocals from the early albums might be dirtier than anything Anthrax's Joey Belladonna has ever done. He does sing pretty clean.

Well, I`m not pretending to be an expert on thrash vocals. The first musically heavy song I remember hearing was Jesus Christ Pose which I still love because of Cornell`s vocals. I haven`t invested time in the genre and don`t really intend to.
  • Like 1

Joey Belladonna(Anthrax) is a better singer than Geddy and Roth.

I don`t doubt that for a second :LOL:
  • Like 1

Sorry - I bought one Maiden album...Killers? When I was a teenager. I`m not a fan of Bruce. I don`t know any JP except Breaking The Law. I`ve not paid much attention to Dio beyond Sabbath.

I listen to lots of music that isn`t very rock at all :scared:

• Like 2

Sorry - I bought one Maiden album...Killers? When I was a teenager. I`m not a fan of Bruce. I don`t know any JP except Breaking The Law. I`ve not paid much attention to Dio beyond Sabbath.

Why do you call yourself Ibanez Jem, it's kind of a metal guitar popularized by Steve Vai?

• Like 1

Why do you call yourself Ibanez Jem, it's kind of a metal guitar popularized by Steve Vai?

I`ve got the blue floral pattern Jem. It`s a beautiful guitar in my view - and certainly Vai shreds but plays plenty of beautiful melodic pieces too. I have an EVH Wolfgang and an Ibanez S520 too. I love rock, but fall shy of Heavy Metal - is that weird? As I `ve said lots of times, I`m not a big fan of vocals. I prefer instrumentals from Steve Morse, Satriani and Vai unless lyrics are particularly smart or funny, so I love DLR and Bob Dylan and Rush, for example. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

I`ve got the blue floral pattern Jem. It`s a beautiful guitar in my view - and certainly Vai shreds but plays plenty of beautiful melodic pieces too. I have an EVH Wolfgang and an Ibanez S520 too. I love rock, but fall shy of Heavy Metal - is that weird? As I `ve said lots of times, I`m not a big fan of vocals. I prefer instrumentals from Steve Morse, Satriani and Vai unless lyrics are particularly smart or funny, so I love DLR and Bob Dylan and Rush, for example.

Cool! Do you play in a band?
  • Like 1

I`ve got the blue floral pattern Jem. It`s a beautiful guitar in my view - and certainly Vai shreds but plays plenty of beautiful melodic pieces too. I have an EVH Wolfgang and an Ibanez S520 too. I love rock, but fall shy of Heavy Metal - is that weird? As I `ve said lots of times, I`m not a big fan of vocals. I prefer instrumentals from Steve Morse, Satriani and Vai unless lyrics are particularly smart or funny, so I love DLR and Bob Dylan and Rush, for example.

No, guitars are my hobby. Sometimes I want to be loud. I don`t drink or smoke or gamble anymore but still need to let off steam in a country without guns :angel:
  • Like 2

No, guitars are my hobby. Sometimes I want to be loud. I don`t drink or smoke or gamble anymore but still need to let off steam in a country without guns :angel:

Sounds like a pretty decent hobby!! :guitar:
  • Like 1

The guitars were bought with money I saved by stopping the old hobbies :facepalm:
  • Like 1

The guitars were bought with money I saved by stopping the old hobbies :facepalm:

That's probably where I'm going wrong lol!!!
  • Like 1

Now, before you make assumptions based on that thumbnail, give it a listen.

http://youtu.be/mVrN-j_Uc0U

Interesting. Equally compelling as repelling in the Babymetal visual sense -uneasy with this type of ploy. Always want to hear new material styles. Choice seems oversaturated these days, or diluted maybe. The album by Rings Of Saturn 'Lugal Ki En' is a classic. IMO. Cookie vocals aside the textures, melodies and emotions conveyed are exceptional. A revelation for me that I like something in this vein.lol. So there's always something new out there. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnj2DG7gJIs&ab_channel=RingsofSaturnBandOfficial

Edited by condemned2bfree

Apparently, the guitarist used to work in a maid cafe hence, their band gimmick.

My problem with these kinds of bands always comes down to the vocals. Though, Bar-Maid does sound better than BabyMetal in every way imho.

Having said that, my problem with any metal band is often the vocals which many times can be growling, the Cookie Monster crap,

or nut-squeezing screeches. It is what it is and whatever.

Apparently, the guitarist used to work in a maid cafe hence, their band gimmick.

My problem with these kinds of bands always comes down to the vocals. Though, Bar-Maid does sound better than BabyMetal in every way imho.

They are admittedly talented, but for me the genre lacks any kind of soul. That's all shreddy type stuff.

They are admittedly talented, but for me the genre lacks any kind of soul. That's all shreddy type stuff.

For sure

They're just alright, IMO. Talented, decent composition, but still just alright. Modern songs without vocals, regardless of genre, bother the hell out of me. I'm sure they have songs with vocals but I won't go searching for them. Baby Metal is a better band.

It's not the mix of J-pop voice over metal that I have a problem with ... it's the fear that i am just being an old perv, leering at a pretty Asian girl in a kinky outfit! (Unless someone can assure me that that's ok lol!)

I'm not a fan of Babymetal (haven't listened to other similar bands) because all I see is a manufactured Asian pop vocal group with the requisite choreographed dance moves with formula pop music behind them, just made heavier to sound metal. Musically, I have no use for it. That BAND-MAID clip is different -- if you played that for me without the video I'd never guess it was five girls in maid outfits. There's some strong compositional work there, and strong musicianship.

Well, now I've got seizures from that video! Great!

Do we know if they wrote/composed the music? It was good, in a "showcase" kind of way.

Lots of heavy music vocals are great and melodic (no time for Bruce Dickinson?), but lots of them are crap stuff, too -- Deafhaven is a good example? (LOL at the "Cookie Monster" vocal comparison -- perfect!).

It's not the mix of J-pop voice over metal that I have a problem with ... it's the fear that i am just being an old perv, leering at a pretty Asian girl in a kinky outfit! (Unless someone can assure me that that's ok lol!)

I'm not a fan of Babymetal (haven't listened to other similar bands) because all I see is a manufactured Asian pop vocal group with the requisite choreographed dance moves with formula pop music behind them, just made heavier to sound metal. Musically, I have no use for it. That BAND-MAID clip is different -- if you played that for me without the video I'd never guess it was five girls in maid outfits. There's some strong compositional work there, and strong musicianship.

Well, now I've got seizures from that video! Great!

Do we know if they wrote/composed the music? It was good, in a "showcase" kind of way.

Lots of heavy music vocals are great and melodic (no time for Bruce Dickinson?), but lots of them are crap stuff, too -- Deafhaven is a good example? (LOL at the "Cookie Monster" vocal comparison -- perfect!).

I did read that one of the guitarists writes the majority of their music.

• Like 2

They're just alright, IMO. Talented, decent composition, but still just alright. Modern songs without vocals, regardless of genre, bother the hell out of me. I'm sure they have songs with vocals but I won't go searching for them. Baby Metal is a better band.

Modern instrumentals, as opposed to songs like La Villa and YYZ, or like Dixie Dregs-type stuff?