Controversial Rush Opinions

Entre_Perpetuo

Clockwork Angels is literally unlistenable IMHO. The songs are too long, too dense, too chaotic,the album is too long, no strong melodies or hooks to remember afterwards. I know many are reading this and saying "but what about Vapor Trails! You must not like that either!". Nope, VT is a walk in the park compared to Clockwork. Its been out 5 or 6 years now and I have yet and probably will never listen to it start to finish. Hell I can't even make it through ONE song before I find myself hitting the skip button

I just revisted CA in an attempt to find the 'masterpiece' that so many claim it to be. But, once again, the full album strikes as overwrought and (in the order presented) a dull listening experience. Trimmed and resequenced I can enjoy it, but as presented it's a drag.

Can’t remember the order. I’m sure you posted that somewhere.

So yeah, what would you keep and in what order?

1. Clockwork Angels (the perfect opener)

2. BU2B (a solid pounding slower track

3. Anarchist (a much-needed uptempo track)

4. Seven Cities of Gold (fits well here as a change of pace and tone)

5. Carnies (similar to BU2B...a reprise of sorts, tempo-wise, of both BU2B and the opener)

6. BU2B2 (speaking of reprise...a signal that things are coming to a close)

7. Headlong Flight (closes things just find musically and thematically)

I’m having deja vu...but it’s probably just me half-remembering. :P

I’d have a very similar list and order.

1. Clockwork Angels...it does seem like an opening track as you said

2. Anarchist...seems like a very good, hyper 2nd track to me a la Analog Kid

3. Carnies...I do like this trio order as it is just not pushed back two tracks as they truly are

4. BU2B...this and Caravan are placed here only because I don’t think they belong at the beginning or the end

5. Caravan...I switched the order of this and BU2B only for a bit of a variation

6. The Garden...a fine slow pace tune towards the end of the album but not THE end; in the same vein as Losing It as far as placement goes

7. Headlong Flight...good closer album-wise and even career-wise

All the other CA tracks I don’t care about. I don’t dislike anything though like I do on Snakes and Bones

Yeah, I don't hate the other songs, they just don't seem necessary. A problem I have with CA as a whole is it seems heavy, heavy, heavy (aurally exhausting), then slow, slow, slow (boring) with Halo, Cities, Wreckers. The Garden I'd prefer as a single. In context of the album it's :beathorse: with the message, like S&A is with Faithless. Not a bad song, but after 40 minutes of hearing about Neil's distaste for religion/modern society, we don't need another dose of it by the time the song (Faithless) comes around.

Halo, Seven Cities, and Wreckers really is a slog. My CA (screw the story):

The Anarchist

Clockwork Angels

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Headlong Flight

Clockwork Angels is literally unlistenable IMHO. The songs are too long, too dense, too chaotic,the album is too long, no strong melodies or hooks to remember afterwards. I know many are reading this and saying "but what about Vapor Trails! You must not like that either!". Nope, VT is a walk in the park compared to Clockwork. Its been out 5 or 6 years now and I have yet and probably will never listen to it start to finish. Hell I can't even make it through ONE song before I find myself hitting the skip button

I just revisted CA in an attempt to find the 'masterpiece' that so many claim it to be. But, once again, the full album strikes as overwrought and (in the order presented) a dull listening experience. Trimmed and resequenced I can enjoy it, but as presented it's a drag.

5. Carnies (similar to BU2B...a reprise of sorts, tempo-wise, of both BU2B and the opener)

If I did a snip and re-order of CA it would go like this:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Wreckers

Halo Effect

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

The Garden

I happen to really like the entire record. But if it was a 2 sided LP.....this would be it for me.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Wreckers

Halo Effect

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

The Garden

I happen to really like the entire record. But if it was a 2 sided LP.....this would be it for me.

I like the whole record too, but some of the songs are week like Halo Effect n Carnies, etc etc.

Edited by Permanent-Rush

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Wreckers

Halo Effect

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

The Garden

I like the whole record too, but some of the songs are week like Halo Effect n Carnies, etc etc.

Funny I love Halo Effect. Just a really sublime song for them. Not a typical Rush song. Love the lyrics too.

• Like 1

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Wreckers

Halo Effect

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Funny I love Halo Effect. Just a really sublime song for them. Not a typical Rush song. Love the lyrics too.

I agree mate!! Yeah sorry i'm not huge on much Rush that is not 80's Rush.

^Many American Rush fans are berks.

If u have nothing nice to say then don't say it at all mate.

What a boring world it would be if we all subscribed to that opinion.........mate.

What a boring world it would be if we all subscribed to that opinion.........mate.

Lmao well in a boring world, it should exist that rule.

What he said was rude, n it was directed towards me, n Ik it was towards me bc of the ^ n my comment was above it.

What he said was rude, n it was directed towards me, n Ik it was towards me bc of the ^ n my comment was above it.

Is English your first language?

• Like 1

Yes it is mate, n Spanish is my 2nd.

P-R, some friendly advice. This is a message board consisting of mostly adults. It's not Twitter, Instagram or a text conversation with one of your friends. You're better off writing in complete sentences on sites like this. And don't say, "This is my style, this is who I am," or some such thing. People here are having trouble understanding you, so give them some proper English, and in turn, give them one less thing to make fun of you for.

• Like 4

P-R, some friendly advice. This is a message board consisting of mostly adults. It's not Twitter, Instagram or a text conversation with one of your friends. You're better off writing in complete sentences on sites like this. And don't say, "This is my style, this is who I am," or some such thing. People here are having trouble understanding you, so give them some proper English, and in turn, give them one less thing to make fun of you for.

Okie mate, will do!! :cheers:

If CA was a single LP ... Hmmm...

Side A

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Carnies

Side B

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

I don't get the dislike for Carnies. It was one of the tracks I immediately latched onto.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2

Side A

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Carnies

Side B

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

I don't get the dislike for Carnies. It was one of the tracks I immediately latched onto.

I dig Carnies......the song.

• Like 1

Side A

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Carnies

Side B

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Wasn't that a movie with Jodi Foster?

I think the title track from A Farewell To Kings is a great song and am surprised that this is opinion is not more widely shared.

Top ten Rush song for me, and the only one in my top ten that isn't really an undisputed fan favorite (though opinions will differ on Cygnus X-1). The gorgeous acoustic intro, uniquely complimented by a magic synth line and Neil's expanded percussion, equally matched by the power and majesty of that explosive opening riff, leading into the even catchier riff that leads into the troubled and vicious verses, but bringing back lighter shades for the chorus, and of course the best thing in the whole song, that breakdown in the middle. Ged and Neil just grooving to a beat only Rush could change from overly technical to full of feel and musicality, and the solo Alex lays on top of it, he starts in with a little trepidation, then suddenly finds his footing (he'd actually had it all along you now realize) and completely shreds while Ged and Neil conjure up some serious thunder to his lighting. Also the ending "closer to the heart" bit, genius foreshadowing for later in the album, and totally perfect to lead into Xanadu.

Yes, vastly underrated.

• Like 2

Side A

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Carnies

Side B

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Like, Carnies is good, but how is it better than The Anarchist?

But also I dig that you kept SCOG, cuz I've seen some serious dislike for that in the past and I just don't get why. That bassline is one of the funkiest things Ged has laid down in decades, and the riff is killer.

• Like 1

Side A

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Carnies

Side B

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

But also I dig that you kept SCOG, cuz I've seen some serious dislike for that in the past and I just don't get why. That bassline is one of the funkiest things Ged has laid down in decades, and the riff is killer.

Anarchist never connected with me the same way Carnies did. It's okay. I don't skip it. But I do agree about SCOG.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

Side A

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Carnies

Side B

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Anarchist never connected with me the same way Carnies did. It's okay. I don't skip it. But I do agree about SCOG.

I guess I get that. I wasn't the biggest fan of it really till I saw them open with it at R40. I was expecting them to open Headlong Flight or Clockwork Angels, and I had very outrageous hopes for Xanadu, but it was The Anarchist and the memory of me realizing that and suddenly realizing how awesome of a song it is is imprinted on my brain. Dang, very little in my life is ever gonna live up to that concert, lol.

• Like 4

Side A

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Carnies

Side B

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

I guess I get that. I wasn't the biggest fan of it really till I saw them open with it at R40. I was expecting them to open Headlong Flight or Clockwork Angels, and I had very outrageous hopes for Xanadu, but it was The Anarchist and the memory of me realizing that and suddenly realizing how awesome of a song it is is imprinted on my brain. Dang, very little in my life is ever gonna live up to that concert, lol.

Hearing it live on the CA tour made me like it more too. But it still couldn't top Carnies!

• Like 1

Clockwork Angels is fantastic. Great tunes, not wearing on the ears.

Agreed. Only tracks I skip are Halo Effect and Wish Them Well.

So it's Goodbye instead of Halo?

:laughing guy: :LMAO: :laughing guy: :LMAO: :laughing guy: :LMAO: :laughing guy: :LMAO: :laughing guy: :LMAO: :laughing guy: :LMAO: :laughing guy: :LMAO: :laughing guy: :LMAO:

• Like 2

Side A

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Carnies

Side B

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Wasn't that a movie with Jodi Foster?

Roman Polanski