Controversial Rush Opinions

Entre_Perpetuo

I like about half of it, which isn't too bad. The other stuff I can tolerate. At least it's organic sounding

My dumps are organic sounding! ;) j/k

4 songs on it I like, 5 I don’t care about (aka skippable), 4 I dislike.

Your bowel movements sound like "Dog Years."

Pure DOG SHIT.

• Like 2

I like about half of it, which isn't too bad. The other stuff I can tolerate. At least it's organic sounding

My dumps are organic sounding! ;) j/k

4 songs on it I like, 5 I don’t care about (aka skippable), 4 I dislike.

...tbh I kinda hope your dumps are organic sounding, I'd be concerned for your health if they weren't, so that j/k is a little worrisome...

:LOL:

There’s nothing organic about Grace Under Pressure but that album annihilates Snakes. Probably not too controversial an opinion I think. Should make a poll out of that.

• Like 3

Apart from All the World's a Stage, Rush live DVD's and albums have never truly captured what it's like to experience the power of Rush live.

For anyone that never got to see them live, my sincere condolences.

Rush live were better than you could have ever imagined.

Different Stages IMO was a well crafted live album culling from different performances on the Counterparts and T4E tours. I love the production and mix on that live album. It is very powerful. And the Kings tour show in the UK is also delicious.

I can listen to Different Stages front to back anytime. And IMO was the last truly great live album and was released in the same tradition of a 4 album cycle.

Snakes and Arrows Live is also a really great recording. Neil's ride cymbal in particular is as hot and crispy as Satan in hell.

• Like 3

The mid to late 80s material represented “growth” and “change” that was a positive in and of itself.

Good point, no one said that anyone had to actually BELIEVE the opinion, just that it's controversial.

Yeah, I don't really believe any of my own opinions.

I just believe my own facts.

Snakes & Arrows is definitely the worst album Rush has ever made.

That’s a controversial opinion, my own opinion, and a fact that I truly feel that way.

;)

As the Knight for Snakes & Arrows I whole heartedly disagree!!!! One of my top 10 Rush albums easy. Some really powerful songs. Sonically fantastic I may also add. Alex is in top form and his acoustic work is outstanding and a wonderful layer to this albums sonic palate.

Armor And Sword is a fantastic Rush song and very overlooked IMO.

The Larger Bowl a much maligned tune around these parts is a wonderful ode to their late 60's influence. Such a cool little diddy.

The Way The Wind Blows......amazing song.

The Main Monkey Business......Rush jamming in the same room and being recorded at the same time. It shines through on this tune.

Malignant Narcissism a short and hard hitting in your face instrumental with a fretless bass and a 5 piece kit for Neil? This tune hits you right in the face.

Faithless to me is also another highly overlooked gem. Alex's solo is gorgeous.

Working Them Angels.....POWER!!!!!!

Bravest Face is a song I adore. Love the dynamics, love the lyrics and love Alex's sublime solo.

Neil's sick and inspired drum work on Good News First powers this song home.

Spindrift another powerful riff driven rocker.

Far Cry? Classic Rush all the way through.

And the closer We Hold On is a good closer (not their best by any means but I can listen to it proper when I play this album all the way through).

I don't have a weak track on this record and I do know the band loved this album. The passion really seeped out when I spun it the first time. Coming off Vapor Trails this was a huge return to form for me personally.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

I can't say I love any Rush album seriously after Signals. Albums after have some good songs, and Power Windows is great but the low point for me was Counterparts and Test for Echo, totally Ying and Yang. I committed heresy and sold Counterparts, and I've played Test for Echo twice to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I think the title track from A Farewell To Kings is a great song and am surprised that this is opinion is not more widely shared.
  • Like 4

The mid to late 80s material represented “growth” and “change” that was a positive in and of itself.

Good point, no one said that anyone had to actually BELIEVE the opinion, just that it's controversial.

Yeah, I don't really believe any of my own opinions.

I just believe my own facts.

Snakes & Arrows is definitely the worst album Rush has ever made.

That’s a controversial opinion, my own opinion, and a fact that I truly feel that way.

;)

I second that emotion.

• Like 1

I think the title track from A Farewell To Kings is a great song and am surprised that this is opinion is not more widely shared.

I'm surprised at how many do share that opinion.
  • Like 2

Clockwork Angels is literally unlistenable IMHO. The songs are too long, too dense, too chaotic,the album is too long, no strong melodies or hooks to remember afterwards. I know many are reading this and saying "but what about Vapor Trails! You must not like that either!". Nope, VT is a walk in the park compared to Clockwork. Its been out 5 or 6 years now and I have yet and probably will never listen to it start to finish. Hell I can't even make it through ONE song before I find myself hitting the skip button

I just revisted CA in an attempt to find the 'masterpiece' that so many claim it to be. But, once again, the full album strikes as overwrought and (in the order presented) a dull listening experience. Trimmed and resequenced I can enjoy it, but as presented it's a drag.
  • Like 2

Clockwork Angels is literally unlistenable IMHO. The songs are too long, too dense, too chaotic,the album is too long, no strong melodies or hooks to remember afterwards. I know many are reading this and saying "but what about Vapor Trails! You must not like that either!". Nope, VT is a walk in the park compared to Clockwork. Its been out 5 or 6 years now and I have yet and probably will never listen to it start to finish. Hell I can't even make it through ONE song before I find myself hitting the skip button

I just revisted CA in an attempt to find the 'masterpiece' that so many claim it to be. But, once again, the full album strikes as overwrought and (in the order presented) a dull listening experience. Trimmed and resequenced I can enjoy it, but as presented it's a drag.

Yup. Liked it when it first came out. Like it, liked it, liked it...and then, suddenly, I didn't.

• Like 2

Yup. Liked it when it first came out. Like it, liked it, liked it...and then, suddenly, I didn't.

I like the first 4 songs and The Garden but the rest becomes what our sound engineer called wearing in that there's no light and shade so your ears become weary of listening to it. Edited by tas7
  • Like 3

Can’t remember the order. I’m sure you posted that somewhere.

So yeah, what would you keep and in what order?

• Like 2

My second favourite Rush song of the seventies after Bastille Day. Third is 2112.

• Like 2

Personally, I like Snakes and Arrows better than CA, but I find CA a solid album with a few weak spots.

I like the first 4 songs and The Garden but the rest becomes what our sound engineer called wearing in that there's no light and shade so your ears become weary of listening to it.

To me this is an unfortunate and unforeseen outcome of the CD format, for any Rush studio production. I find listening to 60 minutes of straight music, a bit straining on the ears (not to mention losing concentration, or even interest).

With albums and tapes, you had that brief break between flipping sides. Not mention Side A and Side B were ordered to create varied soundscapes, or themes..

IMHO of course...:D

"The Analog Kid" would be so much better if it didn't slam into that abrupt tempo change. Same with many other Rush tunes constructed on a similar template. IMO, of course ;)

Killer chorus...thats all I like about it.

Signals is an album I rarely enjoy. I did this week but that was after a streak of playing Rush albums I love. The reality is, I like pieces of each song, The Weapon, Losing It and Countdown being the only tracks I love.

1. Clockwork Angels (the perfect opener)

2. BU2B (a solid pounding slower track

3. Anarchist (a much-needed uptempo track)

4. Seven Cities of Gold (fits well here as a change of pace and tone)

5. Carnies (similar to BU2B...a reprise of sorts, tempo-wise, of both BU2B and the opener)

6. BU2B2 (speaking of reprise...a signal that things are coming to a close)

7. Headlong Flight (closes things just find musically and thematically)

• Like 1

5. Carnies (similar to BU2B...a reprise of sorts, tempo-wise, of both BU2B and the opener)

I’m having deja vu...but it’s probably just me half-remembering. :P

I’d have a very similar list and order.

1. Clockwork Angels...it does seem like an opening track as you said

2. Anarchist...seems like a very good, hyper 2nd track to me a la Analog Kid

3. Carnies...I do like this trio order as it is just not pushed back two tracks as they truly are

4. BU2B...this and Caravan are placed here only because I don’t think they belong at the beginning or the end

5. Caravan...I switched the order of this and BU2B only for a bit of a variation

6. The Garden...a fine slow pace tune towards the end of the album but not THE end; in the same vein as Losing It as far as placement goes

7. Headlong Flight...good closer album-wise and even career-wise

All the other CA tracks I don’t care about. I don’t dislike anything though like I do on Snakes and Bones

• Like 2

I’m having deja vu...but it’s probably just me half-remembering. :P

I’d have a very similar list and order.

1. Clockwork Angels...it does seem like an opening track as you said

2. Anarchist...seems like a very good, hyper 2nd track to me a la Analog Kid

3. Carnies...I do like this trio order as it is just not pushed back two tracks as they truly are

4. BU2B...this and Caravan are placed here only because I don’t think they belong at the beginning or the end

5. Caravan...I switched the order of this and BU2B only for a bit of a variation

6. The Garden...a fine slow pace tune towards the end of the album but not THE end; in the same vein as Losing It as far as placement goes

7. Headlong Flight...good closer album-wise and even career-wise

All the other CA tracks I don’t care about. I don’t dislike anything though like I do on Snakes and Bones

Yeah, I don't hate the other songs, they just don't seem necessary. A problem I have with CA as a whole is it seems heavy, heavy, heavy (aurally exhausting), then slow, slow, slow (boring) with Halo, Cities, Wreckers. The Garden I'd prefer as a single. In context of the album it's :beathorse: with the message, like S&A is with Faithless. Not a bad song, but after 40 minutes of hearing about Neil's distaste for religion/modern society, we don't need another dose of it by the time the song (Faithless) comes around. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

There is no Masterpiece in CA IMO. Putting the production aside.......which IS a big ass flaw......the SONGS themselves are really just subpar that you can hear a bunch of bands doing. I do love Headlong Flight though.

Saying it since release day......CA is not so specil.. but it was Rush so......yay?

Mick

• Like 1