Controversial Rush Opinions

Entre_Perpetuo

I had no clue this thread would take off so well! Great job Mick!!! :LOL:

I'm disagreeing with so much of what's being said right now it's hilarious. That comment about CoS vs. 2112, priceless.

Okay okay, here's another:

Hemispheres is significantly worse than Signals, and not even as good as Power Windows.

• Like 5

I'm disagreeing with so much of what's being said right now it's hilarious. That comment about CoS vs. 2112, priceless.

Hemispheres is significantly worse than Signals, and not even as good as Power Windows.

you want Controversial. that's been me here since post one, lol

It's all cool though.

Power Windows and Signals ARE better than Hemispheres bro.

good call.

Mick

• Like 3

as an album. COS is a million times better than 2112.

Mick

Damn this thread was made for you. You should share your thoughts on GUP

I think it's by far the weakest 80's record.

i like about 2 songs.

I think ultravox sucks and that's basically Rush's take on them.

So that's that, lol

Mick

I'm not a huge fan of HYF, but yeah GuP is pretty close to the bottom of their 80s work imo too. That production just kills the atmosphere dead and too much of it is too boring.

• Like 2

you want Controversial. that's been me here since post one, lol

It's all cool though.

Power Windows and Signals ARE better than Hemispheres bro.

good call.

Mick

I didn't have anyone in mind when I made the thread, and now I'm wondering how I wasn't thinking of you, lol.

ikr? The amount of praise for hems shocked me when I first got here and still kinda confuses me. And PoW is so underrated, the guitar and synth interplay is to die for.

• Like 1

Mick

i like about 2 songs.

So that's that, lol

Mick

I'm not a huge fan of HYF, but yeah GuP is pretty close to the bottom of their 80s work imo too. That production just kills the atmosphere dead and too much of it is too boring.

ihh that reminds me......

much as i love the 80's album after Broon. the production DID take a slight dip after he left.

don't care......i loved his work on signals.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

i like about 2 songs.

So that's that, lol

Mick

ihh that reminds me......

much as i love the 80's album after Broon. the production DID take a dive after he left.

don't care......i loved his work on signals.

Mick

I was reading about the making of each album back when I was researching for my big Rush essay, and when I read about the making of GuP it all finally made sense. They basically had a newbie engineer producing for them, and his accounts were something like "yeah I was just so in awe the whole time and I felt kinda bad that I didn't really know what I was doing for them."

• Like 1

I like Tears just as much as I like 2112.

Tears is in the running for top 3 on the album. I'd put it up there against Bangkok and Twilight Zone any day.

• Like 4

"The Trees" is a really dumb song when you consider the fact that it is meant to be taken as a literal story.

"You Bet Your Life" fun to listen to, and is very catchy.

"Closer to the Heart" gets kinda boring after a while.

"The Trees" is a really dumb song when you consider the fact that it is meant to be taken as a literal story.

Dang, I completely disagree with all of this... good job! :D

• Like 2

Dang, I completely disagree with all of this... good job! :D

:laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

Another one, T4E's only actual problems are a few embarrassingly underwritten melodies and lyrics. Everything else about it deserves the praise that's generally reserved for CP, which is far worse than T4E.

Idk actually how controversial that is but it occurred to me today as I was listening to it. Guitar, bass, and drums wise, the album is excellent.

• Like 3

Another one, T4E's only actual problems are a few embarrassingly underwritten melodies and lyrics. Everything else about it deserves the praise that's generally reserved for CP, which is far worse than T4E.

Idk actually how controversial that is but it occurred to me today as I was listening to it. Guitar, bass, and drums wise, the album is excellent.

that a problem i have with later Rush in general honestly/

they almost......ALMOST.....forgot how to write good melodies.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

I'm listening to it today like, there are melodies here, but they're either annoying, trying too hard, or just not very good, what the heck? lol

• Like 1

Mick

I have a vague recollection of a thread about the concept of melody. What exactly makes a "good" melody? Why should the intervals of any melody be necessarily more "catchy" or evocative than the intervals of any other melody? I think I'm going to go looking for that thread.

• Like 1