Should We End The Twice-Yearly Clock Change?

GeddysMullet

How do you feel about changing the clock twice a year?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to stop having to change the clock twice a year?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care one way or the other
  2. 2. If the twice-yearly clock change was abolished, which time should we permanently adopt?

• Standard Time (current winter) - More light in the morning
    • Daylight Savings Time (current summer) - More light in the evening
    • Split the difference, change the clocks by 30 minutes and make that the permanent standard
    • I like changing the clock, leave it alone
  3. 3. How disruptive do you find changing the clock to be?

• Extremely
    • Moderately
    • Mildly
    • Haven't noticed
    • I told you already, I like changing the clock. Go away!

I greatly dislike changing the clock twice a year. I find it to be highly disruptive to my circadian rhythm, and it can take me weeks to adapt to it. This exacerbates chronic health issues from which I have suffered for many years. Personally, I would prefer to stay with what is currently Daylight Savings Time because I like having more light in the evening. Changing it by 30 minutes to split the difference might be good except that I think it would cause problems if our clocks were 30 minutes out from the rest of the world's. What do you think?
  • Like 1

I tried to explain to Mrs. B (who’s never experienced daily savings time) how much it throws many people off. She didn’t believe me and argued “It’s just one day that it’s changed. It doesn’t keep changing.” I replied, “Okay. If you don’t believe me, then you try it twice a year and see how that goes for you the following days or even weeks.” She remained in disbelief yet wasn’t willing to give it a go.

It's never affected me at all....aside from the annoyance of having to change the clocks in the house.

I want it gone simply because there is no logical reason to have it.

I don`t get why people can`t get up earlier if light is so goddamn precious. Personally, I love it darker in the evenings. In fact, I would happily live in the dark entirely, or move to wherever has six months` constant darkness, then when it gets sunny, scuttle off to the other side of the pole for six months` more darkness. Just remember to take Vitamin D to ward off rickets and everything would be great! Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

I don`t get why people can`t get up earlier if light is so goddamn precious. Personally, I love it darker in the evenings. In fact, I would happily live in the dark entirely, or move to wherever has six months` constant darkness, then when it gets sunny, scuttle off to the other side of the pole for six months` more darkness. Just remember to take Vitamin D to ward of rickets and everything would be great!

It depends on where you live and your work schedule. I live in the northwest part of the US and work from 7:30 am to 4 pm. As the days get shorter, I literally go to work in the dark and get home after dark. There's no "getting up earlier" option. If we left the clocks as they are now, I would have very little light after work, but some is better than none.

• Like 1

I don`t get why people can`t get up earlier if light is so goddamn precious. Personally, I love it darker in the evenings. In fact, I would happily live in the dark entirely, or move to wherever has six months` constant darkness, then when it gets sunny, scuttle off to the other side of the pole for six months` more darkness. Just remember to take Vitamin D to ward of rickets and everything would be great!

It depends on where you live and your work schedule. I live in the northwest part of the US and work from 7:30 am to 4 pm. As the days get shorter, I literally go to work in the dark and get home after dark. There's no "getting up earlier" option. If we left the clocks as they are now, I would have very little light after work, but some is better than none.

I used to go to work early, about 6ish, back home by 3. It was pretty much dark to dark in terms of leaving and returning, but as I say... I like it. I don`t need external light to pursue any of my interests and more importantly, I find external noise very irritating. The darker it is, the quieter everyone else is.
  • Like 2

Have retired from a career in IT, back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's was a nightmare when the clocks change. Then the software got smarter and it became a no-brainer.

Now, I don't care.

• Like 1

I wish we would just pick one and go with it. It bothers my sleep a lot when things change. Winter is not pleasant for me either way; I am one of those people that get insomnia and depression from the low amount of light. I just had a light box delivered today that my Dr. recommended. 20 minutes in the am is supposed to help. We will see! :LOL:
  • Like 2

I tried to explain to Mrs. B (who’s never experienced daily savings time) how much it throws many people off. She didn’t believe me and argued “It’s just one day that it’s changed. It doesn’t keep changing.” I replied, “Okay. If you don’t believe me, then you try it twice a year and see how that goes for you the following days or even weeks.” She remained in disbelief yet wasn’t willing to give it a go.

There is a funny youtube video somewhere with an African American woman driving to work after the spring loss of an hour. She has a huge coffee and is like, "Please Jesus, give me back my hour!" I related right away when I saw it! :LOL:

• Like 3

The time change in the fall never used to bother me until two years ago. The lack of light started making me more sleepy and I would start dozing off at times I normally wouldn't. I kind of figured it was a turning 40 thing. After a couple weeks my body adjusted but the first time it happened to me I was kind of scared because I thought I had cancer or was sick with something else. If it happens this year, I will definitely need to try a vitamin D supplement.

I work 4 am to 1230 pm, Monday-Friday, so it's always dark when I go to work and always light when I go home.

I have it made. :D

• Like 3

It's never affected me at all....aside from the annoyance of having to change the clocks in the house.

I want it gone simply because there is no logical reason to have it.

This.

I don`t get why people can`t get up earlier if light is so goddamn precious. Personally, I love it darker in the evenings. In fact, I would happily live in the dark entirely, or move to wherever has six months` constant darkness, then when it gets sunny, scuttle off to the other side of the pole for six months` more darkness. Just remember to take Vitamin D to ward off rickets and everything would be great!

Your comment sounds like 'Paint It Black' by The Rolling Stones and 'You Want It Darker' by Leonard Cohen.

• Like 2

I greatly dislike changing the clock twice a year. I find it to be highly disruptive to my circadian rhythm, and it can take me weeks to adapt to it. This exacerbates chronic health issues from which I have suffered for many years. Personally, I would prefer to stay with what is currently Daylight Savings Time because I like having more light in the evening. Changing it by 30 minutes to split the difference might be good except that I think it would cause problems if our clocks were 30 minutes out from the rest of the world's. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q-XFPQ9Bt8

I don`t get why people can`t get up earlier if light is so goddamn precious. Personally, I love it darker in the evenings. In fact, I would happily live in the dark entirely, or move to wherever has six months` constant darkness, then when it gets sunny, scuttle off to the other side of the pole for six months` more darkness. Just remember to take Vitamin D to ward off rickets and everything would be great!

Your comment sounds like 'Paint It Black' by The Rolling Stones and 'You Want It Darker' by Leonard Cohen.

We`ve actually got that dark film stuff on our windows, just to capture the vampire house vibe :cool:

Personally, I love it darker in the evenings. In fact, I would happily live in the dark entirely, ....

dracula-lugosi-gif.gif

;) ;)

• Like 4

I used to go to work early, about 6ish, back home by 3. It was pretty much dark to dark in terms of leaving and returning, but as I say... I like it. I don`t need external light to pursue any of my interests and more importantly, I find external noise very irritating. The darker it is, the quieter everyone else is.

I understand your point of view quite well. :cheers:

• Like 1

CST all year long here on the Saskatchewan Prairie. I like adjusting to the natural changes throughout the year. We only get about 8 hours of daylight around Xmas time and plenty of daylight hours in late spring and early summer. I like both extremes and adjusting naturally to the change of seasons without fussing over the damn clock.
  • Like 3

It's never bothered me, other than losing an hour's sleep in Spring (and trying to figure out which buttons to push to set the car clocks).

Canadian winter can be a long dark tunnel, so I don't mind flipping the clock if that means it's not dark at 6am - even though it means that it's dark at 5pm.

Anyhoo, once Xmas rolls around, the days get longer. It just gets rather dreary here for the next 8 weeks. This is where my old friend Mary-Jane comes in handy. Very handy. :ph34r:

Dunno what the dog thinks about it...other than "Where the hell's my breakfast?"

aec5fed0-84c9-0134-ce0c-0aec1efe63a9.jpg

• Like 3