"Why Do You Like That Song?"

GeddysMullet

Inspired by the "What's the hype about Xanadu" thread, I thought it would be fun to have a thread in which people can choose a song they want to talk about, and discuss anything, big or small, that they like about it.

I'll start. Here is "Acres Wild" by Jethro Tull.

This is a song that I can seldom listen to only once. I usually find myself having to hit "repeat" at the end at least a few times. I love the bouncy feel of it, the dramatic violin and the "wooooos" under the dramatic violin. I also love the evocative imagery. I'm not certain where the Winged Isle is, nor exactly what is meant by "Northern father's Western child", but it calls to me somehow, and the song as a whole makes me envision it as the destination to which Ian Anderson as the Pied Piper is leading a bunch of hippies on a frolic through a wild countryside and a decrepit Northern England mining town.

• Like 7

The unbeatable optimism in the lyrics, and the melody, the beat, the bass line and the guitar work are simply flawless. Even the hand claps are perfect!

• Like 5

I like this song because it's so true. Also very underappreciated. The fact that it never got any airplay makes me like it even more.

I never had the chance to get sick of it because it wasn't overplayed.

• Like 4

The unbeatable optimism in the lyrics, and the melody, the beat, the bass line and the guitar work are simply flawless. Even the hand claps are perfect!

The out of tune flutes don't drive you a little crazy though?

Out of tune?! BLASPHEMY!! :o

• Like 1

The out of tune flutes don't drive you a little crazy though?

Out of tune?! BLASPHEMY!! :o

you tell him Principled!

The Waiting by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

Everything is right. The riff, the jangle of the guitar, the drum fills, the bass tone, the feel of the verses, the way they flow naturally into the prechorus, the way the prechorus sets up the chorus, the melody of the chorus, the overall arrangement, Petty's vocals, the lyrics, the guitar solo. I don't think he ever wrote another song this perfect, and really why would he?

• Like 2

I like this song because it's so true. Also very underappreciated. The fact that it never got any airplay makes me like it even more.

I remember the song getting a little bit of radio play in my area. Nowhere near as much as Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do and Can't Stop Lovin You did though.

• Like 1

http://youtu.be/RbLjJfrTtNk

I was in love with that song when I first heard it.

1. the harmonica and the guitar riffs kick ass
  2. it makes me think of this guy that i like lmao

• Like 5

http://youtu.be/MeZ8uVIOIhM

1. the harmonica and the guitar riffs kick ass

2. it makes me think of this guy that i like lmao

I have strong attachments to the album this is from ..... in particular the title track ....

Fond and vivid memories of being a school kid, sitting in my mates house, listening to the rain beating down, the church bell ringing, and then ..... that wall of noise straight from Satan's lair!!!! It will never leave me.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

Inspired by the "What's the hype about Xanadu" thread, I thought it would be fun to have a thread in which people can choose a song they want to talk about, and discuss anything, big or small, that they like about it.

I'll start. Here is "Acres Wild" by Jethro Tull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5a3QlZt0Os

This is a song that I can seldom listen to only once. I usually find myself having to hit "repeat" at the end at least a few times. I love the bouncy feel of it, the dramatic violin and the "wooooos" under the dramatic violin. I also love the evocative imagery. I'm not certain where the Winged Isle is, nor exactly what is meant by "Northern father's Western child", but it calls to me somehow, and the song as a whole makes me envision it as the destination to which Ian Anderson as the Pied Piper is leading a bunch of hippies on a frolic through a wild countryside and a decrepit Northern England mining town.

The second of the so called 'folk-rock trilogy'. My favourite period for Tull ..... this is a fine track from a fine album. Some say the Winged Isle is in fact the Isle of Skye.
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5a3QlZt0Os

Darryl Way of the band Curved Air played violin on that song and on the Heavy Horses title track. And that brings me to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXnxOO9aUG8

Way is awesome here as well, and there are also great keys and vocals to appreciate, and a haunting bridge coming out of the first section of soloing. It's a very tense epic, kind of reminding me of The End by The Doors in how it broods and broods and broods. That tension is released in a fantastic instrumental flourish towards the end, and then things settle down with a still-eerie final stretch.

• Like 2

The Waiting by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

Everything is right. The riff, the jangle of the guitar, the drum fills, the bass tone, the feel of the verses, the way they flow naturally into the prechorus, the way the prechorus sets up the chorus, the melody of the chorus, the overall arrangement, Petty's vocals, the lyrics, the guitar solo. I don't think he ever wrote another song this perfect, and really why would he?

First time I saw TP live was '85 in Seattle. He said that he is often asked which song he wrote is his favorite and he said it was "The Waiting".at which point the band of course launched into the song. I don't know if he continued to feel that way as time went on but guessing it was still high on his list til the day he died. Great, great song.

• Like 3