Johnny Bench, on Joe Morgan, Hall of Famers Passing, and Money

Principled Man

Johnny Bench is selling all of his prized memorabilia, from his two World Series rings to his two MVP trophies to his 10 Gold Gloves to his replica World Series trophies to his actual gloves. They will be showcased at the annual Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory Live Auction on Nov. 14, which is expected to generate in excess of $1 million.

“Look, I made $2.2 million through my entire career,’’ Bench said. “It sounds like a lot, but guys now make that in two weeks. I want to take care of my three boys. I’ve got two sons, 14 and 11, that need to go to college. College isn’t getting any cheaper."

Bench, who says he feels great, said that while his memorabilia brings back fabulous memories, all it’s doing now is collecting dust.

“What am I going to do with them?’’ he said. “It doesn’t upgrade me to first class, or put me in front of the line for the movies. Sometimes, it helps me with reservations at a restaurant, but that’s it.

“That was my former life, and what I achieved, and that’s fine.’’

Bench certainly doesn’t want to wait until he passes, too, seeing the ugliness that can transpire with family members arguing about who gets what possessions.

“I’ve seen so many players where their bodies are not even cold,’’ Bench said, “and people are on the doorstep trying to buy that stuff for 10 cents on the dollar.

“I don’t need the money, but my kids do. This money will go the three boys and give them some sort of stake in life where they’ll be financially set.’’

Anything, and everything, will be going, he said, except for one prized possession that will never be sold.

“My Hall of Fame ring,’’ Bench says, “isn’t going anywhere.’’

d67b7897-e67c-440a-bca2-167c1a3f9e12-USATSI_11784268.jpg?width=660&height=476&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/10/14/johnny-bench-mourns-joe-morgan-other-hall-famers/3656278001/

His sons are eleven and fifteen? Wow, get started a little late there, did ya, Johnny? Two million over his career -- and he was a star! What did Ted Average make, one wonders.

All pros should have to take classes in financial planning because they are not long, those days of wine and roses.

His sons are eleven and fifteen? Wow, get started a little late there, did ya, Johnny?

His first boy was born in 1995, when he was 48. For superstar athletes and entertainers, it's never "too late".... :laughing guy: