What's The Hype Behind "Xanadu"?

_hi_water._

This is usually considered one of (or the) best Rush songs, and I am not sure why. So Xanadu gushers, could you explain here why you love this tune so much??
  • Like 1

Epic in scope - trippy vibe.

Long passages - and each section has it's own memorable Anthem - the intro, then the OTHER intro, then the OTHER intro -

It just builds and builds then breaks out with that bass/guitar groove.

I think it's a song that takes it's time - with loads of dynamics and memorable musical sections. It's a very inspired number. They tried to repeat it with songs like the Trees, Nat Sci and La Villa - to varying degrees of success.

It's what I love abut Rush - kind of a shame that they lost that over the years.

The title track from Clockwork Angels was a return to form in a sense - I really enjoy that one still, despite the poor production.

• Like 7

It is a single, planned composition from beginning to end. Definitely the best song on AFTK. In my opinion, it is much better than Natural Science, which feel disjointed and slapped together (because it was.)
  • Like 2

- Epic in scope

- Mysterious, magical and lyrical in word

- Dynamic and intricate musical sections

- A perfect soundscape.

Rush have created several epic compositions (in fact Cygnus X-1 on this same album is another fine example) but for me Xanadu was the pinnacle.

Look, the great thing about Rush is that we can all get something different from their wide portfolio of music. For some, the epic proggy stuff is not necessarily what 'floats their boat'. For others, the more synth driven commercial sound doesn't always sit well. The great thing is that we have lots of variety to listen to and discuss!!

An oldster like me falls into the epic proggy category and personally I find Xanadu the greatest epic of them all, from AFTK, my favourite album of them all.

• Like 8

The title track from Clockwork Angels was a return to form in a sense - I really enjoy that one still, despite the poor production.

Should have been the album opener, imo.
  • Like 3

- Epic in scope

- A perfect soundscape.

Rush have created several epic compositions (in fact Cygnus X-1 on this same album is another fine example) but for me Xanadu was the pinnacle.

Look, the great thing about Rush is that we can all get something different from their wide portfolio of music. For some, the epic proggy stuff is not necessarily what 'floats their boat'. For others, the more synth driven commercial sound doesn't always sit well. The great thing is that we have lots of variety to listen to and discuss!!

An oldster like me falls into the epic proggy category and personally I find Xanadu the greatest epic of them all, from AFTK, my favourite album of them all.

Yup, it's all prog lovers vs. synth posers! :outtahere:
  • Like 3

OK...giving Xanadu a listen right now, at very high volume. The mood it sets from the get-go it's exceptional. All those cool sounds, and Alex's swells are fantastic. Then the theme begins, building to the first power chords, drums thundering in accompaniment, the swirling winds. Then a short silence before the drums drop in to get things galloping along...and then the showmanship begins with all three in full jam. Then a brilliantly-crafted descent, into Geddy's first vocals. The first 5:20 are perfection.

I'll admit that it loses me a bit after that, crossing into a realm of proggishness that I enjoy less. Still, the main themes and their execution are some of the band's best work.

• Like 6

- Epic in scope

- A perfect soundscape.

Yup, it's all prog lovers vs. synth posers! :outtahere:

Hehehe .... I think if I had been a teenager in the '80s perhaps my tastes in music would have been different, and my perceptions of Rush's music would have been different also.

I blame it on an accident of birth!!

• Like 1

Epic in scope - trippy vibe.

Long passages - and each section has it's own memorable Anthem - the intro, then the OTHER intro, then the OTHER intro -

It just builds and builds then breaks out with that bass/guitar groove.

I think it's a song that takes it's time - with loads of dynamics and memorable musical sections. It's a very inspired number. They tried to repeat it with songs like the Trees, Nat Sci and La Villa - to varying degrees of success.

It's what I love abut Rush - kind of a shame that they lost that over the years.

:goodone: What chemistry said! I love that it takes place in a number of sections, and he nailed the description of where they open up on the bass and guitar and start building. It was one of my favorite numbers on the R40 tour when we were all Periscoping the different shows; it sounded so great. There is a reason my AFTK album was the one I sent away to have autographed. :)

• Like 4

hi_water, the only time I’ve heard Xanadu being mentioned recently is when you accuse it of being hyped. :LOL:

I don’t see anyone promoting it or exaggerating anything about it. If someone asks me if I like it, I say “Yes, a lot”. That’s not hype.

“Popularity” doesn’t necessarily mean “hype”.

• Like 2

hi_water, the only time I’ve heard Xanadu being mentioned recently is when you accuse it of being hyped. :LOL:

I don’t see anyone promoting it or exaggerating anything about it. If someone asks me if I like it, I say “Yes, a lot”. That’s not hype.

I am one whiney bastard :D
  • Like 2

I am one whiney bastard :D

:LOL:

I wouldn’t say that but I like your wordage! :LOL:

• Like 1

This is usually considered one of (or the) best Rush songs, and I am not sure why. So Xanadu gushers, could you explain here why you love this tune so much??

I don't love the whole song, but the first 5 and last 2 minutes of it are sublime.

I love the cinematic scope of those two sections. It's one of Rush's best efforts at creating scenery with music.

• Like 1