Does Eddie still resonate with younger players?

Xanadoood

Think about this, if a guitar player is under 25, do they even know who Eddie is? Van Halen would have released only one album in their lifetime with A Different Kind Of Truth. Unless their parents were fans, or they caught a song on the radio or YouTube they may not know the band at all or understand how significant Eddie's impact was on rock guitar.

there are kids out there doing every genre you can think, and plenty you cant. since there wasn't really a big generation defining rock group after the 90s, younger artists tend to look to the 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s for inspiration (I'm talking about bands that would be considered obscure here, there really aren't any legitimate mainstream rock bands left).

there won't ever be a rock band like van halen, so in some sense, the answer is no, but even back in the 70s and 80s there were few bands who could draw fans from every crowd like van halen. EVH's shredding is maybe underwhelming for some younger listeners, but if you've heard it, his songwriting isn't. I saw tons of tributes from young musicians I know personally

• Like 2

to simplify, music fans of all ages like all types of music. not liking something just because it's old is really more of a punk rock/hipster thing ("problematic sexist dinosaur dad rock"). you see kids wearing hendrix and zep shirts for the past twenty years. its not quite the same as JARG showing up to school in a frank sinatra shirt back in the day and getting his ass kicked. my generation cant really be too picky.
  • Like 3

there are a lot of good bands today, but most of them are at least somewhat derivative of old bands. it's very hard to innovate in rock and still write a song someone would want to hear. nobody is reinventing the guitar anytime soon
  • Like 3

I used to actually give van halen shit on here just because they were the only band anybody liked besides dream theater and whitesnake. thankfully, steven wilson started a solo career and opeth stopped playing metal, giving some new blood to the site, albeit by musicians in their 40s and 50s.

No, their idea of "rock" is safe sounding pop like A Flock of Seagulls, Spandau Ballet and Poison. Ever see those acoustic guitars sold at Kmart with Robert Palmer on the cover? Make me want to vomit.

works both ways ;)

• Like 1

Was going to elaborate on why I think EVH still matters to younger players, but I think Bathory’s got it all covered here. As a younger player myself, EVH is one of my absolute favorites of all time.
  • Like 1

Think about this, if a guitar player is under 25, do they even know who Eddie is? Van Halen would have released only one album in their lifetime with A Different Kind Of Truth. Unless their parents were fans, or they caught a song on the radio or YouTube they may not know the band at all or understand how significant Eddie's impact was on rock guitar.

This is a good point that someone in their 40s or 50s may find hard to process. Van Halen has been a nostalgia act for a long time. For Unlawful is probably the last album they released that made a significant impact when it first came out. That’s almost 30 years ago.

• Like 1

A perfect example here in relation to this post.

I was just thinking about this thread. That guy was probably under 30, Van Halen has been largely quiet in his lifetime. I'm not surprised he didn't know or recognize Eddie.

Imagine if the Stones had plucked a 21 year old Eddie Van Halen from obscurity in 1976 as the replacement for Mick Taylor instead of Ronnie Wood. And it lasted until 2020, how would that have sounded?

Do younger guitarists listen and take anything from eddies playing? By younger I’m talking 20 somethins.

What younger guitar players? They're aren't any.

Mrs Mahomes has got a bone to pick with you Earl!

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! RAIDERS BABY!!!!! I'm still in shock!!! LOVE IT!!!! GO SAINTS!! I need a win tomorrow Pat!!!

• Like 1

Little kids go to concerts and go up on stage and play Van Halen tunes and songs. Does that count?

It's over Pat. That doesn't count.

Not according to Satchel!

Satchel isn't really a spring chicken, but hell yes! He's AWESOME!!!!!

Actually silly me. He needs to be inserted into my TOP TEN!!!

Do younger guitarists listen and take anything from eddies playing? By younger I’m talking 20 somethins.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! RAIDERS BABY!!!!! I'm still in shock!!! LOVE IT!!!! GO SAINTS!! I need a win tomorrow Pat!!!

We should be able to beat the Chargers.

• Like 1

there are a lot of good bands today, but most of them are at least somewhat derivative of old bands. it's very hard to innovate in rock and still write a song someone would want to hear. nobody is reinventing the guitar anytime soon

Give me a list of lots of good bands today. There are none.

We should be able to beat the Chargers.

Yes! Crush them please!!

Hey Pat! Do you like a band called MOXY from the Seventies? THEY ROCK!

Little kids go to concerts and go up on stage and play Van Halen tunes and songs. Does that count?

It's over Pat. That doesn't count.

Not according to Satchel!

Satchel isn't really a spring chicken, but hell yes! He's AWESOME!!!!!

Actually silly me. He needs to be inserted into my TOP TEN!!!

I missed him out too. I put his abilities on a similar level to Joel Hoekstra, Doug Aldrich, Reb Beach and guys like this around his age, but below Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Guthrie Govan and Andy Timmons in terms of pure guitar magic.