Eddie Van Halen and Neil Peart - Compare/Contrast

chemistry1973

Both Rush and Van Halen played their last ever shows in LA in 2015 too.

I was fortunate enough to see both of them.

I'm going to "Jump" off a bridge. I'm sure some of you will be happy.

What's up Earl?

Hi Pat! Today is Friday. It's my youngest daughter's 20th birthday today so we are going out to celebrate tonight!

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN61WU57zBw

Thank you my good friend!! I will have a drink!!!!!

Cheers!!!

I thought you might object to the Brian Johnson era AC/DC track but hey it's the right song for the occasion! :16ton:

I will give in to "Back In Black." It's a CLASSIC! Bon had his blueprints on that record too. It's BJ's best record.

Yeah!

Are you planning something special for Sky's birthday Earl?

Dwarf strippers dressed as firefighters!

As usual!

I think the ex is doing that alone!

• Like 2

What's up Earl?

Hi Pat! Today is Friday. It's my youngest daughter's 20th birthday today so we are going out to celebrate tonight!

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

I thought you might object to the Brian Johnson era AC/DC track but hey it's the right song for the occasion! :16ton:

I will give in to "Back In Black." It's a CLASSIC! Bon had his blueprints on that record too. It's BJ's best record.

Yeah!

No Pat! It was mellow. Outdoor dining at a nice restaurant with Sky's boyfriend. Zoe and her bf Nick. I gave Sky a top of the line sewing machine for her present. She is going to pursue a career in fashion design and has applied to three fashion design schools in New York. Crazy dude, both of my girls might be heading to New York for school. Zoe might get into Columbia for Physical Therapy Doctrine. I'm very proud of my girls!

Nice and good luck to your girls and congrats!

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

Yeah!

As usual!

As usual!

• Like 1

I know we should be respectful of other musicians, I like Van Halen and some of their songs. The older songs are good and hardy blues-rock fusions, but...

I don't see any comparison. Hardly any.

Edit: As individuals, as team players, as people with a job to do, I don't feel any sense of similarity.

Edited by Bahamas

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

Yeah!

As usual!

As usual!

Hahaha! Exactly!!!

Lisa and I are getting very serious.

I think it's incredible that I fell in love during a pandemic. "Why does it happen, because it happens.... Roll The Bones!"

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

Yeah!

As usual!

As usual!

Hahaha! Exactly!!!

I think it's incredible that I fell in love during a pandemic. "Why does it happen, because it happens.... Roll The Bones!"

Ever dated a Native American Earl? Like an Apache girl??

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

Yeah!

As usual!

As usual!

Hahaha! Exactly!!!

Ever dated a Native American Earl? Like an Apache girl??

No! Has Neil Young?

Love,

Cinnamon Girl

I'm sure many of us have been thinking of both of these heroes.

There are a lot of connections between the Rush and Van Halen camps. They shared the same manager at one point. Alex used EVH's 5150 amps.

But I'm thinking a lot about EVH and NP's distinct personalities - their similiarities, and the almost strange polar differences.

I don't really want to blow the wad and list so many, but I'm wondering what the Forum thinks.

Both were considered the greatest in their field. And we probably responsible for 80% of their bands record and ticket sales.

Both revolutionized their instrument, and kickstarted a generational obssession with guitars and drums.

But there are specific personality traits that jumped at me. Where they came from - where they were born. Their relationships. Their kids...

Any thoughts?

One thought is they both were bullied. Music then might have been an escape from reality. (Those in the know please feel to correct me.)

1 NP

Neil said he had weak ankles as a kid and couldn't play hockey. This automatically made him uncool. Unless it's just a song "Kid Gloves" is more than a subtle suggestion that he beaten often.

2 EVH

I read an article about how he treated horribly growing up. Some of you know that Eddie's mother was of Indonesian & European descent and his father was Dutch. Growing up the VH brothers were called things like "half-breed" and subject to physical and verbal abuse. This is why the Van Halen family left Europe (like the Pilgrims, to escape persecution). The children found their new home less than hospitable. Eddie and Alex did not speak English at first and were the targets of abuse from some other kids.

• Like 2

I can't compare and contrast them. My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.

At least Keef Richards is still around Earl your number 3 rock star!

I rather watch Kiefer Sutherland's dad in "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers."

I did buy the deluxe box set of "Let It Bleed." It's awesome.

I bet you own all the Keef guitar replicas!

No Pat. I own no Keith guitars.

I do own five Eddie replicas.

Are they all the red, white and black Frankenstrat? Or have you got one that looks like that blue Charvel from the Van Halen II photoshoot?

No Pat! I have a red. A bumble bee, a white and black and a white and black with circles. Fair Warning model. Also an aged red and white Frankenstrat.

Sick! :) There's a good luthier selling Frankenstrat repros on ebay. Was going to buy one, but learned that the VH1 recordings were done with the white/black version, and that is THE album for me, and im a purist of sorts. He quoted my much higher for one bc it can be more authentic, like having a northern ash body, Schaller tuners 3tc.

Thanks buddy!!

Yes!!! I know all about those repros! I get it. You know your guitars but I'm a guitar whore!!! LOL! I bought one of those guitars. It won't be ready until around Christmas. These are selling like hotcakes. DUDE! You can request a bumble bee or the white and black EVH striped guitar to be transformed into a repro! They even put the cigarette burns on the neck!!!!!!

I bought a bumble bee dude! Merry Christmas to me!

Lmao!! Well done indeed! I like your style. Congrats man :)

It`s hard not to seem like I`m disrespecting Alex and Geddy, but for me it`s Neil`s lyrics and astonishing drums that make Rush not just different, but truly great. Eddie is the reason I love VH (and I`m a huge fan of DLR), but Eddie is truly what sets them apart from so many others. In the same way that I don`t think anyone else could have created Mean Street, nobody else could have written Natural Science. I don`t know how many rock bands have existed over time, but for me, Rush and VH are on another level due to these two true perfectionists. They were the best at what they did... I feel privileged to have their music.

:goodone:
  • Like 2

Both Neil and Eddie started out taking piano lessons.

For Eddie the piano lessons would be beneficial for him later on, whereas with Neil he comments in his instructional video A Work in Progress that they didn't have much impact on him.

Neil then switched to playing drums, which he stayed with throughout his entire career until he retired.

Eddie acquired a set of drums, and Alex played guitar. Then they switched instruments and the rest is history.

Eddie and Neil were both introverts.

Although RUSH and Van Halen never toured together, Neil said that he learned about 'character studies' from the bands they opened for about what not to do. Van Halen is a 'character study' of how to avoid excess.

RUSH would never try to purposely put on a bad show for the fans. However the Van Halen - Summer Tour of 2004 was a different story.

A comment from Pegi Cecconi here about both bands.

“I always thought of Rush as our children, as opposed to Van Halen, who were adopted,” Cecconi admits. “And the bigger they are, the more you have to take care of them. Because Ray (Danniels) would spend one week a month in L.A., just babysitting them. Whereas Rush – if you never showed up – they’d prefer it. With Rush, you turn on the key, rev up the engine and ,they ran it themselves. It was beautiful."

RUSH has never had constant revolving band members, whereas Van Halen has.

Neil never threw his fellow band mates under the bus like Eddie did.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Both Neil and Eddie started out taking piano lessons.

For Eddie the piano lessons would be beneficial for him later on, whereas with Neil he comments in his instructional video A Work in Progress that they didn't have much impact on him.

Neil then switched to playing drums, which he stayed with throughout his entire career until he retired.

Eddie acquired a set of drums, and Alex played guitar. Then they switched instruments and the rest is history.

Eddie and Neil were both introverts.

Although RUSH and Van Halen never toured together, Neil said that he learned about 'character studies' from the bands they opened for about what not to do. Van Halen is a 'character study' of how to avoid excess.

RUSH would never try to purposely put on a bad show for the fans. However the Van Halen - Summer Tour of 2004 was a different story.

A comment from Pegi Cecconi here about both bands.

“I always thought of Rush as our children, as opposed to Van Halen, who were adopted,” Cecconi admits. “And the bigger they are, the more you have to take care of them. Because Ray (Danniels) would spend one week a month in L.A., just babysitting them. Whereas Rush – if you never showed up – they’d prefer it. With Rush, you turn on the key, rev up the engine and ,they ran it themselves. It was beautiful."

RUSH has never had constant revolving band members, whereas Van Halen has.

Neil never threw his fellow band mates under the bus like Eddie did.

There`s a lot of truth in this, but... if I were Eddie I might just feel that I`d made a lot of money for some guys that didn`t contribute as much as me. Eddie`s obligation was to make music, and he happened to be a genius, not to be a great guy. Rush had a better balance of power in terms of skills and contributions in addition to not having constant substance abuse issues since childhood. It`s not just Eddie either - it was Eddie and Alex. You would always be against at least 50% of the band if there was a problem.