Eddie Van Halen and Neil Peart - Compare/Contrast

chemistry1973

I can't compare and contrast them. My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.

I'm with you. These two were my favorite musicians of all time, and now they're gone. Although I never met either of them, I couldn't think of two more distinct personalities. One is the introspective modern-day philosopher, who's totally averse of socializing with anyone who even hints at the prospect of praising him. The other is the epitome of the carefree, celebrate-and-don't-think-about-it-too-much attitude, who fueled countless parties with his six-string onslaught. The ONLY parallel I could make between the two is that both had one feature that put them above all else in their respective fields: SUBMISSION TO THEIR CRAFT.

At least you still have Jack White to masturbate over when the wife is safely asleep Rod!

• Like 1

I'll start by mentioning that the guitarist in my high school band (my best man), and I, like so many others of our generation, were massively inspired by Neil and Eddie on our respective instruments. There is no denying that they both had incredible influence over an entire generation of young musicians (check out almost any issue of Guitar Player or Modern Drummer magazine; chances are high they will be name-checked if not featured in some manner). In January, my guitarist buddy called me the minute he heard that Neil had passed - because he knew what Neil meant to me. So, earlier this week, I reciprocated and called him the moment I learned Ed had passed. We talked for hours about it - reflecting on their music and influence and our own ageing... some thoughts that came up: VanHalen as a band had a larger piece of popular culture - I think this is largely fueled by the Van Hagar era and a series of successful pop-rock tunes. I don't know what the record sales stats are, but I imagine VH was easily outselling Rush most of the time after 1984. Ed clearly had more "celebrity" than Neil and this is evidenced by more mainstream acknowledgement of his passing. Another striking difference we thought about was Eddie's public persona was more that he was a sort of a megalomaniac; of course, the band bore his name - but the very public feuds with Roth, and then Hagar, and Anthony, and the dissing of Anthony, the sacking of Cherone, and then again bickering with Roth. Now there's three sides to every story, but the optics were that Ed was difficult (to put it nicely). Meanwhile Neil, Alex and Ged had this sort of "Geek rocker" persona, nice to a fault (Canadian influence? lol), a true brotherhood, there was a joke that they could never make a "behind the music" because there was so little controversy. While these public persona were somewhat supported by various stories from the inside, nobody really knows. But the bottom line is their images were quite different. Another thought that I had about them was Neil's lyrics - obviously VH, was much more a Sex, Drugs, & R&R themed band. Almost to a cliche. While Roth and Hagar wrote a few excessively cheesy lyrics, VH as a band portrayed that "partier" mentality. On the other hand, Neil, while he did have a few clunkers, was an exceptional lyricist and pushed so many interesting themes and ideas not normally explored in rock music. Personally, for me, I know that lyrical connection meant alot more. I can't say I felt any really deep connection lyrically to many VH tunes (maybe Dreams?), nobody would have called VH "A thinking man's rock band", as Rush was. Not saying that in a snobby way, sometimes parties call for party lyrics, lol. I just felt a lot deeper connection to Neil's writing. Perhaps many other wouldn't, and that's fine, But there is a difference.

I didn't ever get the chance to see VH live. By the time I was of concert-going age, 1984 tour had already passed. By the time 5150, came out, I wasn't too keen on the new VHagar sound. I'm not embarrassed to say that I much preferred Eat 'Em and Smile! and got to see Roth with his incredible band. I felt like he blew them out of the water with that. But that was short lived! VH kept cranking out gold; much of it I did not totally care for; I suppose my taste trending in different directions. I had the chance to see VH in 2007, but did not go - and the local reviews were horrible. Ed was having trouble, Roth was really in poor form, the band left the stage after a half set at one show. I'm kinda glad I didn't go. Meanwhile, I really enjoyed Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork and all the tours up to the end. So, from a band trajectory there was an enormous difference as well.

Anyway, jut a couple of thoughts. I do have tremendous respect for the man and his music, which really meant alot to me in my youth. Neil & Rush were able to keep that fire alive in my through to my adult years.

RIP EVH. RIP NEP.

• Like 3

I'll start by mentioning that the guitarist in my high school band (my best man), and I, like so many others of our generation, were massively inspired by Neil and Eddie on our respective instruments. There is no denying that they both had incredible influence over an entire generation of young musicians (check out almost any issue of Guitar Player or Modern Drummer magazine; chances are high they will be name-checked if not featured in some manner). In January, my guitarist buddy called me the minute he heard that Neil had passed - because he knew what Neil meant to me. So, earlier this week, I reciprocated and called him the moment I learned Ed had passed. We talked for hours about it - reflecting on their music and influence and our own ageing... some thoughts that came up: VanHalen as a band had a larger piece of popular culture - I think this is largely fueled by the Van Hagar era and a series of successful pop-rock tunes. I don't know what the record sales stats are, but I imagine VH was easily outselling Rush most of the time after 1984. Ed clearly had more "celebrity" than Neil and this is evidenced by more mainstream acknowledgement of his passing. Another striking difference we thought about was Eddie's public persona was more that he was a sort of a megalomaniac; of course, the band bore his name - but the very public feuds with Roth, and then Hagar, and Anthony, and the dissing of Anthony, the sacking of Cherone, and then again bickering with Roth. Now there's three sides to every story, but the optics were that Ed was difficult (to put it nicely). Meanwhile Neil, Alex and Ged had this sort of "Geek rocker" persona, nice to a fault (Canadian influence? lol), a true brotherhood, there was a joke that they could never make a "behind the music" because there was so little controversy. While these public persona were somewhat supported by various stories from the inside, nobody really knows. But the bottom line is their images were quite different. Another thought that I had about them was Neil's lyrics - obviously VH, was much more a Sex, Drugs, & R&R themed band. Almost to a cliche. While Roth and Hagar wrote a few excessively cheesy lyrics, VH as a band portrayed that "partier" mentality. On the other hand, Neil, while he did have a few clunkers, was an exceptional lyricist and pushed so many interesting themes and ideas not normally explored in rock music. Personally, for me, I know that lyrical connection meant alot more. I can't say I felt any really deep connection lyrically to many VH tunes (maybe Dreams?), nobody would have called VH "A thinking man's rock band", as Rush was. Not saying that in a snobby way, sometimes parties call for party lyrics, lol. I just felt a lot deeper connection to Neil's writing. Perhaps many other wouldn't, and that's fine, But there is a difference.

I didn't ever get the chance to see VH live. By the time I was of concert-going age, 1984 tour had already passed. By the time 5150, came out, I wasn't too keen on the new VHagar sound. I'm not embarrassed to say that I much preferred Eat 'Em and Smile! and got to see Roth with his incredible band. I felt like he blew them out of the water with that. But that was short lived! VH kept cranking out gold; much of it I did not totally care for; I suppose my taste trending in different directions. I had the chance to see VH in 2007, but did not go - and the local reviews were horrible. Ed was having trouble, Roth was really in poor form, the band left the stage after a half set at one show. I'm kinda glad I didn't go. Meanwhile, I really enjoyed Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork and all the tours up to the end. So, from a band trajectory there was an enormous difference as well.

Anyway, jut a couple of thoughts. I do have tremendous respect for the man and his music, which really meant alot to me in my youth. Neil & Rush were able to keep that fire alive in my through to my adult years.

RIP EVH. RIP NEP.

Thank you for sharing this.

• Like 1

I can't compare and contrast them. My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.

I'm with you. These two were my favorite musicians of all time, and now they're gone. Although I never met either of them, I couldn't think of two more distinct personalities. One is the introspective modern-day philosopher, who's totally averse of socializing with anyone who even hints at the prospect of praising him. The other is the epitome of the carefree, celebrate-and-don't-think-about-it-too-much attitude, who fueled countless parties with his six-string onslaught. The ONLY parallel I could make between the two is that both had one feature that put them above all else in their respective fields: SUBMISSION TO THEIR CRAFT.

That’s what is so fascinating to me. That dedication enhanced other parts of their personalities in different ways.

Yet - both dead in their mid 60s with cancer.

Both in Santa Monica! :o

• Like 1

At least Keef Richards is still around Earl your number 3 rock star!

I rather watch Kiefer Sutherland's dad in "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers."

I did buy the deluxe box set of "Let It Bleed." It's awesome.

I bet you own all the Keef guitar replicas!

No Pat. I own no Keith guitars.

I do own five Eddie replicas.

Are they all the red, white and black Frankenstrat? Or have you got one that looks like that blue Charvel from the Van Halen II photoshoot?

No Pat! I have a red. A bumble bee, a white and black and a white and black with circles. Fair Warning model. Also an aged red and white Frankenstrat.

• Like 3

That’s what is so fascinating to me. That dedication enhanced other parts of their personalities in different ways.

Yet - both dead in their mid 60s with cancer.

Both in Santa Monica! :o

That is frukkking crazy!!!!!! What a year!!!

Are they all the red, white and black Frankenstrat? Or have you got one that looks like that blue Charvel from the Van Halen II photoshoot?

No Pat! I have a red. A bumble bee, a white and black and a white and black with circles. Fair Warning model. Also an aged red and white Frankenstrat.

Did you hear about the time Eddie went to the hospital in 1980 and asked to borrow Chris Holmes' red Ibanez Destroyer so he could use it on the new record, the Women and Children First album? He already owned a 1975 Ibanez Destroyer but he'd customized it and chopped it up until he didn't like the tone anymore. Chris told him yes just go by my house and tell my mom I said it was alright.

• Like 1

Sick!:) There's a good luthier selling Frankenstrat repros on ebay. Was going to buy one, but learned that the VH1 recordings were done with the white/black version, and that is THE album for me, and im a purist of sorts. He quoted my much higher for one bc it can be more authentic, like having a northern ash body, Schaller tuners 3tc.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

EXACTLY ROD!

Did you hear about the time Eddie went to the hospital in 1980 and asked to borrow Chris Holmes' red Ibanez Destroyer so he could use it on the new record, the Women and Children First album? He already owned a 1975 Ibanez Destroyer but he'd customized it and chopped it up until he didn't like the tone anymore. Chris told him yes just go by my house and tell my mom I said it was alright.

I didn't know that Pat! CRAZY!

• Like 1

Both Rush and Van Halen played their last ever shows in LA in 2015 too.

I was fortunate enough to see both of them.

I'm going to "Jump" off a bridge. I'm sure some of you will be happy.

What's up Earl?

Hi Pat! Today is Friday. It's my youngest daughter's 20th birthday today so we are going out to celebrate tonight!

• Like 2

Sick! :) There's a good luthier selling Frankenstrat repros on ebay. Was going to buy one, but learned that the VH1 recordings were done with the white/black version, and that is THE album for me, and im a purist of sorts. He quoted my much higher for one bc it can be more authentic, like having a northern ash body, Schaller tuners 3tc.

Thanks buddy!!

Yes!!! I know all about those repros! I get it. You know your guitars but I'm a guitar whore!!! LOL! I bought one of those guitars. It won't be ready until around Christmas. These are selling like hotcakes. DUDE! You can request a bumble bee or the white and black EVH striped guitar to be transformed into a repro! They even put the cigarette burns on the neck!!!!!!

I bought a bumble bee dude! Merry Christmas to me!

• Like 2

What's up Earl?

Hi Pat! Today is Friday. It's my youngest daughter's 20th birthday today so we are going out to celebrate tonight!

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

• Like 1

I didn't know that Pat! CRAZY!

Aye!

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN61WU57zBw

Thank you my good friend!! I will have a drink!!!!!

Cheers!!!

• Like 1

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

I thought you might object to the Brian Johnson era AC/DC track but hey it's the right song for the occasion! :16ton:

• Like 1

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

I thought you might object to the Brian Johnson era AC/DC track but hey it's the right song for the occasion! :16ton:

I will give in to "Back In Black." It's a CLASSIC! Bon had his blueprints on that record too. It's BJ's best record.

• Like 1

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

I will give in to "Back In Black." It's a CLASSIC! Bon had his blueprints on that record too. It's BJ's best record.

Yeah!

Are you planning something special for Sky's birthday Earl?

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

Yeah!

Dwarf strippers dressed as firefighters!

• Like 2

I think they are similar in that they influenced a generation to to play guitar and drums, but outside of that I think they are vastly different people. Eddie was more spontaneous in his approach to music. Neil was clinical. Eddie was obviously a far more exuberant live performer. He was a rock god. Neil was a stoic figure.
  • Like 1

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

Yeah!

Dwarf strippers dressed as firefighters!

As usual!

What's up Earl?

Happy Birthday to Sky!

And...

Cheers!!!

Yeah!

No Pat! It was mellow. Outdoor dining at a nice restaurant with Sky's boyfriend. Zoe and her bf Nick. I gave Sky a top of the line sewing machine for her present. She is going to pursue a career in fashion design and has applied to three fashion design schools in New York. Crazy dude, both of my girls might be heading to New York for school. Zoe might get into Columbia for Physical Therapy Doctrine. I'm very proud of my girls!

• Like 2