Eddie Van Halen and Neil Peart - Compare/Contrast

chemistry1973

I'm sure many of us have been thinking of both of these heroes.

There are a lot of connections between the Rush and Van Halen camps. They shared the same manager at one point. Alex used EVH's 5150 amps.

But I'm thinking a lot about EVH and NP's distinct personalities - their similiarities, and the almost strange polar differences.

I don't really want to blow the wad and list so many, but I'm wondering what the Forum thinks.

Both were considered the greatest in their field. And we probably responsible for 80% of their bands record and ticket sales.

Both revolutionized their instrument, and kickstarted a generational obssession with guitars and drums.

But there are specific personality traits that jumped at me. Where they came from - where they were born. Their relationships. Their kids...

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

It`s hard not to seem like I`m disrespecting Alex and Geddy, but for me it`s Neil`s lyrics and astonishing drums that make Rush not just different, but truly great. Eddie is the reason I love VH (and I`m a huge fan of DLR), but Eddie is truly what sets them apart from so many others. In the same way that I don`t think anyone else could have created Mean Street, nobody else could have written Natural Science. I don`t know how many rock bands have existed over time, but for me, Rush and VH are on another level due to these two true perfectionists. They were the best at what they did... I feel privileged to have their music.
  • Like 4

I guess when you reach such greatness in whatever field, there are bound to be similarities with other giants. The similarities increase because they were both rock musicians.

EVH lived for the stage though.

NP tolerated it - loved being on the motorcycle.

Both very uncomfortable with fame.

Both loved to be in their own little worlds - EVH - the studio. NP- the bike.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 2

During the Roth era, an incident happened between Geddy Lee and Eddie Van Halen here.

That is not the usual Rush story, lol. I guess it take a band as legendary (on stage and back stage) as Van Halen to get even Geddy Lee out of character.

• Like 1

I can't compare and contrast them. My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.

At least Keef Richards is still around Earl your number 3 rock star!

I rather watch Kiefer Sutherland's dad in "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers."

I did buy the deluxe box set of "Let It Bleed." It's awesome.

• Like 1

I can't compare and contrast them. My two all time favorite musicians are gone in the same year! Heartbreaking.

I bet you own all the Keef guitar replicas!

• Like 1

During the Roth era, an incident happened between Geddy Lee and Eddie Van Halen here.

Funny. One of the guys who was with me when meeting Rush (May of '81) asked them about the VH feud. Alex replied that they're @ssholes.

Eddie did have a rep for being a jerk.

Neither he nor Neil would have won any Dale Carnegie Contests.

• Like 4

Funny. One of the guys who was with me when meeting Rush (May of '81) asked them about the VH feud. Alex replied that they're @ssholes.

Eddie did have a rep for being a jerk.

Neither he nor Neil would have won any Dale Carnegie Contests.

I only know good stories about Eddie.

A few of my best friends met Eddie back in the early 80's.

My buddy Dan who I used to go to shows with every month was in LA for a gig. Saw Eddie and his brother get into a limo.

He "JUMPed" lol into his car and followed the limo to the Beverley Hills Hotel.

So my best buddy Dan had a satin Van Halen baseball jacket. It was signed by Dave, Michael and Alex that night backstage. Dan had backstage passes to everything and free tickets. He was a writer for a local newspaper and did interviews and wrote reviews.

Anyway, he walks into the lobby. Security is everywhere. Eddie is there with a few friends. Dan walks up to Eddie. Security stops him. Dan says, "hey I'm Dan Wall I was just backstage with the band but I missed Eddie. Is it cool if I get Eddie to sign my jacket?

Eddie came up to my buddy and said.... "hey guys back off! No worries dude, I'll sign your jacket." They talked for about ten minutes and Dan took off. Eddie was very nice to him!!!!

• Like 2

No Pat. I own no Keith guitars.

I do own five Eddie replicas.

• Like 1

I saw Rush and Van Halen for the first time in my life. Both in 1984. Both at the Cow Palace.

Now Neil and Eddie are gone.

It makes me sooooooooooo sad.

Time truly does fly. Even though in reality sometimes the clock seems slow.

Weird.

• Like 3

No Pat. I own no Keith guitars.

I do own five Eddie replicas.

Are they all the red, white and black Frankenstrat? Or have you got one that looks like that blue Charvel from the Van Halen II photoshoot?

I saw Rush and Van Halen for the first time in my life. Both in 1984. Both at the Cow Palace.

Now Neil and Eddie are gone.

It makes me sooooooooooo sad.

Time truly does fly. Even though in reality sometimes the clock seems slow.

Weird.

Mine were 1983 (RUSH) and 1984 (Van Halen).

I'm with you. These two were my favorite musicians of all time, and now they're gone. Although I never met either of them, I couldn't think of two more distinct personalities. One is the introspective modern-day philosopher, who's totally averse of socializing with anyone who even hints at the prospect of praising him. The other is the epitome of the carefree, celebrate-and-don't-think-about-it-too-much attitude, who fueled countless parties with his six-string onslaught. The ONLY parallel I could make between the two is that both had one feature that put them above all else in their respective fields: SUBMISSION TO THEIR CRAFT.

• Like 4

You prefer Kiefer's dad in this other classic horror film starring John Belushi.

http://youtu.be/8ppz1GBK4R8

:blaze:

If nuclear war ever happens. cockroaches and Keith Richards will be the only survivors. And yes there's irony in that.

• Like 1

I'm with you. These two were my favorite musicians of all time, and now they're gone. Although I never met either of them, I couldn't think of two more distinct personalities. One is the introspective modern-day philosopher, who's totally averse of socializing with anyone who even hints at the prospect of praising him. The other is the epitome of the carefree, celebrate-and-don't-think-about-it-too-much attitude, who fueled countless parties with his six-string onslaught. The ONLY parallel I could make between the two is that both had one feature that put them above all else in their respective fields: SUBMISSION TO THEIR CRAFT.

That’s what is so fascinating to me. That dedication enhanced other parts of their personalities in different ways.

Yet - both dead in their mid 60s with cancer.

I think the moral to all of this is that you approach your path with passion, or don’t do it. When it’s time, it’s time.

• Like 3