GeddysMullet

Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Prefer?

• Tom Petty
    • Bruce Springsteen
    • It's a tie, they're both good!
    • It's a tie, I don't like either!

This question came from a discussion I was having recently with a friend of mine about American artists, and I am curious as to what The Rush Forum thinks. I'm from New Jersey and thus am veritably expected to worship Springsteen, but I've never been a big fan. I haven't been able to call myself a big fan of Tom Petty overall since high school, and I truly never need to hear "Refugee" or "Breakdown" ever again, but there are a lot of Tom Petty songs that I really love. So, the Florida boy gets my vote. And I must mention the Heartbreakers, because even though I'd have to say that Full Moon Fever is my favourite Tom Petty album, the Heartbreakers are a huge part of why I have always preferred Petty to Springsteen. Especially the keyboard sounds. Edited by GeddysMullet

This question came from a discussion I was having recently with a friend of mine about American artists, and I am curious as to what The Rush Forum thinks. I'm from New Jersey and thus am veritably expected to worship Springsteen, but I've never been a big fan. I haven't been able to call myself a big fan of Tom Petty overall since high school, and I truly never need to hear "Refugee" or "Breakdown" ever again, but there are a lot of Tom Petty songs that I really love. So, the Florida boy gets my vote. And I must mention the Heartbreakers, because even though I'd have to say that Full Moon Fever is my favourite Tom Petty album, the Heartbreakers are a huge part of why I have always preferred Petty to Springsteen. Especially the keyboard sounds.

I'm not really a big fan of either but they have both made some great work. I would have to call it a tie here. I'm sure there are more Petty fans here than Springsteen who gets unnecessarily slammed quite a lot.

Edited by Steevo

Springsteen has higher highs, but Petty is more consistent. Pretty even but I'll take Petty in a pinch.
  • Like 1

I love both but Springsteen without any shadow of a doubt.

Petty is more consistent. Springsteen is at his best massively superior.

• Like 1

This question came from a discussion I was having recently with a friend of mine about American artists, and I am curious as to what The Rush Forum thinks. I'm from New Jersey and thus am veritably expected to worship Springsteen, but I've never been a big fan. I haven't been able to call myself a big fan of Tom Petty overall since high school, and I truly never need to hear "Refugee" or "Breakdown" ever again, but there are a lot of Tom Petty songs that I really love. So, the Florida boy gets my vote. And I must mention the Heartbreakers, because even though I'd have to say that Full Moon Fever is my favourite Tom Petty album, the Heartbreakers are a huge part of why I have always preferred Petty to Springsteen. Especially the keyboard sounds.

Agree with all you have written and, being from NJ myself, I remember well the adulation "The Boss" had there. I guess they never noticed that BS had long ago stopped being the working class rock icon and had turned into a man that had been bought and sold out to whomever.

• Like 1

I'm west coast so I'm biased towards the nice Laurel Canyon Byrds esque sound of his. I got to appreciate Bruce as more than just baby boomer music when I heard Nebraska, DOTEOT and his album cuts. Tom Petty is one of those rare veterans who didn't try to act like he was hip with the kids by selling out like some (PAGING STEVEN TYLER!) rock stars. He was genuine and had integrity by sticking up for the (even the) losers and rebels and I respect him for that.

Although Petty has has some weak links like the dated sounding Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) which he thought less of anyways, they're nowhere near as embarrassing as Human Touch or Working On A Dream with that stupid and cliched Queen Of The Supermarket.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

I'm west coast so I'm biased towards the nice Laurel Canyon Byrds esque sound of his. I got to appreciate Bruce as more than just baby boomer music when I heard Nebraska, DOTEOT and his album cuts. Tom Petty is one of those rare veterans who didn't try to act like he was hip with the kids by selling out like some (PAGING STEVEN TYLER!) rock stars. He was genuine and had integrity by sticking up for the (even the) losers and rebels and I respect him for that.

Although Petty has has some weak links like the dated sounding Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) which he thought less of anyways, they're nowhere near as embarrassing as Human Touch or Working On A Dream with that stupid and cliched Queen Of The Supermarket.

That's why I love Tom too - he was genuine, and he had a great sense of humor.

• Like 2

I'm not really a big fan of either but they have both made some great work. I would have to call it a tie here. I'm sure there are more Petty fans here than Springsteen who gets unnecessarily slammed quite a lot.

Sophie’s Choice for me

Springsteen has higher highs, but Petty is more consistent. Pretty even but I'll take Petty in a pinch.

It's very close in their respective heydays. Impossible to choose to be fair.

In consideration of this, I have added a "tie" option to the poll.

Both Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band member Roy Bittan (piano) and Petty's Heartbreakers member Benmont Tench (organ) performed on Stevie Nick's hit song 'Edge of Seventeen' from the Bella Donna album as noted here

Also, Bittan and Tench were part of Nick's touring band on the 1981 Bella Donna White Wing Dove Tour as noted here

Both the E-Street Band and Heartbreakers members have also been in-demand as session musicians for other acts.

Springsteen and Petty performing in 1990 together below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2mygv6WPs

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Sophie’s Choice for me

Sophie’s Choice for me

:AlienSmiley:

Very easily, Petty. But I’m surprised it’s this much of a blowout.

I'm not.

I thought there were at least a few more TRFers than just 1 (current # of Bruce votes) who prefer Springsteen...but maybe it’s just the accumulation of Segue’s Bruce praise posts that made me think it :LOL:

• Like 3