RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

Yeah, great words from Satch. And I agree that House of Pain is VERY underrated. When I listened to that rhythm I was like "wait...what are they doing again????"

That signature AVH drum rhythm is, like Anthony's background vocals, an underrated secret weapon that made their songs so awesome.

It's Alex's drum sound too. His playing and sound alone make him/Van Halen instantly identifiable to my ears.

• Like 1

Yeah, great words from Satch. And I agree that House of Pain is VERY underrated. When I listened to that rhythm I was like "wait...what are they doing again????"

That signature AVH drum rhythm is, like Anthony's background vocals, an underrated secret weapon that made their songs so awesome.

It's Alex's drum sound too. His playing and sound alone make him/Van Halen instantly identifiable to my ears.

I remember turning on the radio in 1996 and listening to Humans Being. When I turned it on the song had already started, and as soon as the chorus kicked in I said "there's no way that that's NOT Van Halen!!!!!"

• Like 1

Just a heads up if anybody is interested, David Lee Roth will be on CBS Sunday Morning this Sunday.

Ok so this may have been filmed weeks ago before Eddie passed away. Apparently Dave will be talking about his Japanese art. However, it still might be worth watching.

Edited by Leanne

Sammy Hagar and Eddie Van Halen did an 'unplugged performance' on Nov 6th, 1993 for Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit concert in California.

This article here features both a review and video footage posted.

Eddie is playing a Parker Fly guitar, which is rare to see him with that.

Then Van Halen joined Simon & Garfunkel for 'Sounds of Silence' below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwPxDPDNp5o

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Sammy Hagar and Eddie Van Halen did an 'unplugged performance' on Nov 6th, 1993 for Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit concert in California.

Whew

no DLR post. Thanks! :16ton:

Whew

Say what you will about Dave forgetting lyrics on stage but have you seen Sammy sing Roth Era Van Halen? It's a fuckking joke and an embarrassment. Sammy singing "Panama" is pathetic.

Sammy is great in Montrose. Great during his Capital Years. Love the Geffen stuff too. But really? The music is tolerable thanks to the genius of Eddie. But hiring Sammy Hagar for me sucks.

Bur for all the masses out there like many of you, good for you to love it. They made a lot of money. Good for them.

Nothing touches Roth in Van Halen.

Me Wise Ass?

No.

"Me Wise Magic."

I like both the David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar eras of Van Halen.

Both of them brought something to the band, with how they write, record, and perform live.

It's the same with The Doobie Brothers. Do I like the Tom Johnston blues-rock era or the Michael McDonald r&b soul one?

The answer is I like both.

A commonality with The Doobie Brothers and Van Halen is producer Ted Templeman, who has collaborated with both.

Something to note, Michael McDonald co-wrote and sang background vocals on the Van Halen song 'I'll Wait' that's noted here.and below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6712UN1zUiI

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

Say what you will about Dave forgetting lyrics on stage but have you seen Sammy sing Roth Era Van Halen? It's a fuckking joke and an embarrassment. Sammy singing "Panama" is pathetic.

Sammy is great in Montrose. Great during his Capital Years. Love the Geffen stuff too. But really? The music is tolerable thanks to the genius of Eddie. But hiring Sammy Hagar for me sucks.

Bur for all the masses out there like many of you, good for you to love it. They made a lot of money. Good for them.

Me Wise Ass?

No.

"Me Wise Magic."

Just wanted to share this in relation from Ultimate Classic Rock and Van Halen News Desk.

Ted Templeman: If I'd Tried to put Sammy Hagar in Van Halen in 1977, I'd Have Made the Biggest Mistake in Rock History

Ted Templeman Says Sammy Hagar Is Best Rock Singer on the Planet

RUSHHEAD666 and other forum members, I think this book by Ted Templeman might be up your alley to read.

I find that producers and/or sideman to huge music acts have the more interesting stories to tell.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Me Wise Ass?

No.

"Me Wise Magic."

Just wanted to share this in relation from Ultimate Classic Rock and Van Halen News Desk.

Ted Templeman: If I'd Tried to put Sammy Hagar in Van Halen in 1977, I'd Have Made the Biggest Mistake in Rock History

Ted Templeman Says Sammy Hagar Is Best Rock Singer on the Planet

RUSHHEAD666 and other forum members, I think this book by Ted Templeman might be up your alley to read.

I find that producers and/or sideman to huge music acts have the more interesting stories to tell.

That book - and the section posted above- gives

a great deal of insight into the VH break up.

Ted Produced Sam’s prior solo album, as well as DLRs post Van Halen album.

Ted essentially ran a large part of Warner Bros. In the late 70s.

It’s likely that the “breakup” was contrived. Have Roth go solo, play up rivalry, and cash in on 2 giant acts instead of 1.

It was purely a business play. Were there hurt feelings? Of course. But everyone made money.

Edited by chemistry1973

Whew

Me Wise Ass?

No.

"Me Wise Magic."

Roth would sound terrible singing Sammy's songs too. Different songs written for two different kind of singers. Dio was a great singer but when in Sabbath the Ozzy era stuff he did live didn't exactly sound right either. And Ozzy couldn't sing the Dio stuff for shit if he tried.

When was Montrose great? The songs I know are some of the most average 70s rock you could listen to.

Dave is absolutely pathetic on their Live in Tokyo album from 2015. Flat out not singing the proper words or anything at all numerous times. Very disrespectful to the band, who killed it on that performance, and to the fans who paid to see them. Eddie and Wolfie sang their asses off on backing vocals so that at least makes up for it a little bit. But even at his age, Dave is still a self absorbed little prick who doesn't care about anyone else.
  • Like 1

Just a heads up if anybody is interested, David Lee Roth will be on CBS Sunday Morning this Sunday.

David Lee Roth's brush with art

I have a newfound respect for DLR, holy cow. Here I thought Hagar had done pretty well for himself post VH.

Elton John called Eddie "an amazing talent and a gentle, lovely man" on Instagram.

He's the king of tribute songs. Maybe he will write a track like this one about Eddie.

• Like 1

Dave is absolutely pathetic on their Live in Tokyo album from 2015. Flat out not singing the proper words or anything at all numerous times. Very disrespectful to the band, who killed it on that performance, and to the fans who paid to see them. Eddie and Wolfie sang their asses off on backing vocals so that at least makes up for it a little bit. But even at his age, Dave is still a self absorbed little prick who doesn't care about anyone else.

Some of the songs on Tokyo Dome are unlistenable.

• Like 2

Some of the songs on Tokyo Dome are unlistenable.

Right now, almost two weeks have passed since Eddie died, and all Dave has done so far is posting 3 pictures with the capture "what a long trip it has been". Not good.