RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

Regarding David Crosby's opinion on Eddie Van Halen:

There's times I wish the Internet hadn't been invented.

It seems that when an individual voices an opinion on social media, they're thrown under the bus by other's around the globe.

Also when an individual provides a review of a business; the impact of the words being used determines the outcome.

I think life was more simple before the 1980's and beyond and I sometimes yearn to return to those times.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

It seems that when an individual voices an opinion on social media, they're thrown under the bus by other's around the globe.

Also when an individual provides a review of a business; the impact of the words being used determines the outcome.

I think life was more simple before the 1980's and beyond and I sometimes yearn to return to those times.

If you don’t have anything nice to say...

Seriously, it shouldn’t be hard not to insult someone who’s just died.

• Like 2

Eddie Van Halen wasn't exactly a saint either. This interview below justifies this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Alu8nZuvk

Also the 2015 Billboard interview where he dismisses Michael Anthony's contributions to the band was wrong.

Eddie could've learned a lot from Michael about humility and grace.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

Eddie Van Halen wasn't exactly a saint either. This interview below justifies this.

Also the 2015 Billboard interview where he dismisses Michael Anthony's contributions to the band was wrong.

That interview showcases Ed as the classic alcoholic-introvert. He has no confidence - it all comes from the booze and coke.

Definitely a guy who hates to talk about himself.

• Like 1

A time when not every opinion had to be shared, and if they were, they were likely shared privately. That was better in some ways, I think.
  • Like 2

Michael Anthony is quoted by saying that VAN HALEN III was more like an Eddie Van Halen solo album.

• Like 1

It was disappointing to read Crosby's comments on Eddie's passing, for sure. It's nothing new, though, Crosby has always been that way. He has an oversized ego and been a jerk for years. I won't go into details, there are stories from over the years. I will mention his concern before Eddie's passing- Crosby thought he might lose his house if he couldn't tour due to covid. Seriously? You can't figure out your finances at age 79 when you were in some of the biggest groups of the 60s and 70s?

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

It was disappointing to read Crosby's comments on Eddie's passing, for sure. It's nothing new, though, Crosby has always been that way. He has an oversized ego and been a jerk for years. I won't go into details, there are stories from over the years. I will mention his concern before Eddie's passing- Crosby thought he might lose his house if he couldn't tour due to covid. Seriously? You can't figure out your finances at age 79 when you were in some of the biggest groups of the 60s and 70s?

Well maybe it's a Dutch jealousy thing? Crosby is also of Dutch extraction, his full name is David Van Courtlandt Crosby. Van Courtlandt is apparently a very prominent family in the Netherlands, but Crosby wasn't born there like Eddie was.

• Like 1

And yet he still shouldn’t be pissed on 5 minutes after he passed away.

• Like 1

Well, I did it. I listened to only Van Halen albums for a whole week. I hit everything at least once except live albums and VHIII, some albums many times. I have found new enjoyment in all of it, but especially a lot of Van Hagar stuff which I had previously written off, as well as some underrated DLR albums like VHII and Diver Down. This venture has cemented Eddie as one of my top three favorite guitarists, inspired me to build my own guitar, and revealed to me how much I really love Van Halen. Previously I viewed them as more or less just another classic rock band, not quite as meaningful to me as Aerosmith or Styx. Now however they could very well be top ten of all time material for me. Why is it always when someone passes that their work finally clicks for me? Happened with Bowie and Prince too, and to a lesser extent with Petty. It just resolidifies how much I need to be routinely exposing myself to music that I might love but I've never really delved into before the artists pass on. I really would've loved to see Eddie live with my dad, but sadly that won't ever happen.

Here's to Eddie Van Halen, not just one of the greatest to ever do it, but one of the easiest to love and most fun to listen to. Rock in peace.

• Like 3

Didn't see this from Satch on here, worth putting up:

Born a year after Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani was listening to and drawing from the same era of music as his fellow guitar hero, who died Tuesday at 65. Both men would grow to become virtuosos of the instrument, but Satriani says Van Halen had something else that set him apart: his sibling chemistry with his drummer brother Alex. In his own words, Satriani talks about Eddie’s “impeccable rhythm” and the Van Halens’ musical bond.

"When I first heard “Eruption” come over the radio, I was in a little studio apartment in Berkeley, California. I actually had my guitar on, and I was totally transfixed. It was like hearing Hendrix the first time when I was a kid. The only difference was I was grown up and already a musician.

I'm sure you’ve interviewed people who went on and on about how he innovated this, that, and the other thing. And he did. But he also combined everything that went before him in such a beautiful, fun way. This I know from experience, because I was his age — I’m a year younger. I always considered him the greatest of my generation of players who came right after the big ones: after Hendrix, Page, Beck, and Clapton. But he did it with a smile, and that was so important at the time because there was a lot of grimacing and snarling and pretension around the guitar. It was getting very complicated.

There was a feeling I had for a few years that the guitar was under siege and it was going in a weird direction. And then all of a sudden, the savior appeared on the radio and spoke directly to me. I’ve never lost that excitement every time I hear his guitar playing. It always raises my heart level and I get a smile on my face. I’m just so happy that somebody did it — that someone was doing it. He put so much joy into every little note that he played. He smiled and he let you know that it was all for fun. But at the same time, every musician knew they couldn’t touch him.

His rhythm was impeccable and intoxicating, and his note choice was hysterically funny and brave. He wrote great songs and didn’t bore you to death with hours and hours of tedious stuff. It was always rock & roll. He had a swagger and an impeccable rhythm that drove every one of his songs.What separates the real thing from the people who lovingly try to tribute the greats and/or try to imitate them is that they can never get the rhythm together. But the Van Halen brothers — Eddie and Alex together — had a devastating attack to the beat. Their sense of the pocket is just so intense. It’s so recognizable. And that’s what invited the whole world to listen. There’s a little song [on 1984] that’s overlooked called “House of Pain.” You just listen to that, the way that they pound that rhythm. I don’t want to separate them, because every time we hear Eddie, we hear Alex. It’s a beautiful thing: the joy of brothers playing together, and the love there is just undeniable."

• Like 1

I knew all about that reading Sammy Hagar's autobiography. Same thing goes for Glenn Frey's petty and selfish grudge against Don Felder.

I knew all about that reading Sammy Hagar's autobiography. Same thing goes for Glenn Frey's petty and selfish grudge against Don Felder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzZGDUNDGk4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWWce58XYPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL-HvfVwZKM&pbj

Edited by RushFanForever