RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

guitarist_edward_van_halen_1977_1978_charvel_megazone_mighty_mite_w.jpg

I was intrigued by this photo, as I'd never seen Eddie with that guitar before. It comes up as the 1077-78 Karl Sandaval "Megazone".

https://www.rockstar...daval-megazone/

^^^ The link has some great photos of the guitar and a shot of Inside VH Magazine issue #9, with the guitar featured among his collection.

Cool pic, Treeduck!

ETA: You are looking at one of the rarest guitars on the planet, Ed’s Megazone guitar. This beautiful one of a kind instrument was made by the famous luthier Karl Sandoval. Karl worked for Wayne Charvel at Charvel’s Custom Guitar Shop in California. Karl built this guitar in 1977-78 and sold it to Ed in the late 70’s. You can check it out on Karl’s web site, www.karlsandoval.com.

It is apparently for sale!

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Legendary DEEP PURPLE and RAINBOW guitarist Ritchie Blackmore has paid tribute to Eddie Van Halen, who passed away on Tuesday (October 6) at the age of 65.

Blackmore said in a statement: "Eddie Van Halen was a brilliant guitarist who started a technique of guitar playing which was emulated by a whole generation of guitarists. He was one of the nicest musicians I ever met in the music business. Very shy and not at all conceited about his ability as a guitar player.

"Frank Zappa said [Eddie] reinvented the guitar. I agree.

"He will be sadly missed but his brilliant legacy will always be remembered. The ultimate guitar hero."

• Like 5

https://consequenceo...len-friendship/

Comforting to know. I recall him saying he wanted to bury the hatchet after the deaths of Bowie and Frey. Bill Murray did the same for Harold Ramis. Unfortunate that Johnny Ramone couldn't do that with Joey. I read somewhere he cried for a week when he passed away in 2001.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

Dang, just read Derek Sherinian say Eddie Van Halen had more impact on him than any other person in his life. Think about that. That's not just more than any other musician, more than any teacher, that's more than any friend, heck any parent, brother, sister, spouse, child!

That's dang heavy praise right there, from anybody.

• Like 1