RIP Eddie Van Halen, 65

laughedatbytime

I came to Van Halen with 1984, before going back and picking up the rest of the discography. Me and three or four friends spent all day on a Saturday cleaning out and fixing up an old barn so we could have our 8th grade graduation party there that night.

We listened to 1984 on repeat all day, and every time it ended, I was ready to hear it again.

Some inappropriately adult sh*t went down at that party, and every time I think about Van Halen, I think about my youth, and energy, and the joy of life.

Thanks for the memories, man. Godspeed.

• Like 2

2020 is a terrible year for me, in a different way (sorta)

When this year started, I had a severe ear infection that had tons of fluid in it. It's healed now, but I can still hear a lil fluid.

I also suffered severe depression with suicidal thoughts, mainly due to stress, deaths, and tons of slander IRL.

I lost a hero (Neil Peart), a parakeet that passed away on Superbowl Sunday, and a loved one in the beginning of March.

Then coronavirus came. And that's how far we go there.

I went to a therapist, that helped somewhat with my mood... but...

I also suffer quite a lot of stress nowadays, and some aging problems. And then I lost my favorite musician ever, and I feel very depressed about this. I just hope that I can feel better soon.

Hang in man. Remember the joy he brought you and focus on that. It may help.

• Like 2

"So baby dry your eyes, save all

The tears you've cried

Oh that's what dreams are made of

Oh baby we belong in a world that must be strong

Oh that's what dreams are made of

And in the end on dreams we will depend

'Cause that's what love is made of"

I've got my dreams... :(

• Like 3

Listening to In A Simple Rhyme right now... it's making me tear up. It's just too beautiful.

"Well, back in the past when I was treated so coldly

My love life was a darn disgrace

Needed someone to love and hold me

That's one of the reasons that I was outta place"

• Like 1

Valerie still loved him.

“40 years ago my life changed forever when I met you,” she wrote. “You gave me the one true light in my life, our son, Wolfgang. Through all your challenging treatments for lung cancer, you kept your gorgeous spirit and that impish grin. I’m so grateful Wolfie and I were able to hold you in your last moments. I will see you in our next life my love.”
  • Like 3

I wonder if he was able to make peace with Sammy and Michael before he died.

I thought I read just last week that he had, but Sammy had this to say today:

Sammy Hagar, who replaced singer David Lee Roth in Van Halen in 1985, shared a sweet photo with Eddie on Twitter. “Heartbroken and speechless. My love to the family,” the 72-year-old wrote.

I'm sure most of you VH fans have a similar story about the first time you heard Eruption. You probably had a friend or relative bring you over to their stereo, and then they said, "Wait till you hear this." And they dropped the needle, and your ideas of what rock guitar were went out the window.

Spot. F-ing. On. Although I had heard them earlier.. I heard that and bought backwards...

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1

I hate to break it to everyone here, but most of the rockstar icons from the 60s, 70s and 80s are gonna be leaving us at a increasing rate in the next 10 years. And yes, that could include Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

I hate to break it to everyone here, but most of the rockstar icons from the 60s, 70s and 80s are gonna be leaving us at a increasing rate in the next 10 years. And yes, that could include Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

Unfortunately, this is natural...but it doesn’t necessarily have to be so sad.

The death of EVH is but one point in his life. He gave millions happiness and joy for decades, and he’ll continue to do so even though he’s dead. So many hours of great music that will never stop being enjoyed. We should all feel lucky for this man’s talent and impact.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 5

I'm sure most of you VH fans have a similar story about the first time you heard Eruption. You probably had a friend or relative bring you over to their stereo, and then they said, "Wait till you hear this." And they dropped the needle, and your ideas of what rock guitar were went out the window.

It was my Dad with the radio, or maybe Pandora for me, but I can confirm it still has the exact same effect.

• Like 2

When I saw Henry Rollins perform his spoken word bit in Knoxville (2008), he Described seeing Van Halen first time opening for Ted Nugent in the late 1970s. Rollins talks about how VH blew away Nugent (who was beginning the downturn of his career). He described the crowd reaction to Eruption as 10,000 people's jaws hitting the floor at the same time, which sounds like a perfect description for their first national tour. I had that same reaction when I saw Live WIthout a Net (as I would not become familiar with VH's catalog until the mid 80s). IMO, that was a perfectly constructed 15 minutes guitar solo, which has yet to be matched by any guitarist, not even EVH himself.
  • Like 2

Just finished Women And Children First. Hadn’t listened through it in a long while and, well... it’s gotta be my favorite. I know a lot of hardcore fans gravitate towards Fair Warning, and probably more people cite the debut as their best, but for me Women And Children First has a magical atmosphere, the beautiful right alongside the harsh, the silly right next to the serious, and all of it just totally underplayed by the radio. In A Simple Rhyme might have to make my top ten Van Halen songs now...
  • Like 3

Eddie has always been one of my favorite guitarists and I've been a huge Van Halen fan since high school. I'm still in shock and feel numb. This is going to sting for a long time.

Here is a tweet from Dave's twitter

https://twitter.com/...640283364417536

For those of you that have Sirius XM, channel 27 is a Van Halen tribute channel

Edited by Leanne
  • Like 3

Just finished Women And Children First. Hadn’t listened through it in a long while and, well... it’s gotta be my favorite. I know a lot of hardcore fans gravitate towards Fair Warning, and probably more people cite the debut as their best, but for me Women And Children First has a magical atmosphere, the beautiful right alongside the harsh, the silly right next to the serious, and all of it just totally underplayed by the radio. In A Simple Rhyme might have to make my top ten Van Halen songs now...

I go back and forth between WACF and FW as my favs.
  • Like 2

In A Simple Rhyme is my second fav VH song, and a Top 5 song all-time for me. It makes me tear up now because of the instrumentation, lyrics and vocals. It's Eddie at his best with emotion and back vocals.
  • Like 2

Eddie has always been one of my favorite guitarists and I've been a huge Van Halen fan since high school. I'm still in shock and feel numb. This is going to sting for a long time.

Here is a tweet from Dave's twitter

https://twitter.com/...640283364417536

For those of you that have Sirius XM, channel 27 is a Van Halen tribute channel

What follows Dave's tweet is a long string of tweets from a who's-who of rock legends, all paying tribute to Eddie. So sobering. The ones from Steve Vai are especially touching.

• Like 4

I remember watching Gary Moore at Donington in 1984. Gary came on between Y&T and Ozzy around 4 in the afternoon. About halfway through during one of Gary's blistering guitar solos, Eddie appears at the side of the stage watching Gary with a big grin on his face. Van Halen came on after Ozzy around 8pm.
  • Like 4