Most Underrated Movies IYO?

_hi_water._

I searched wiki for box office bombs thinking I'd be able to mine some good films that did poorly with the public. I was wrong. Most of these are just bad movies...

https://en.wikipedia...ox-office_bombs

Waterworld comes to mind as a film that's not as bad as its reputation.

Edited by goose

The Sender (1982)

Mystery Men (1999)

Brigsby Bear (2017)

Rumble Fish (1983)

The Hollywood Knights (1980)

The Dream Team (1989)

Something Wild (1986)

Apocalypto (2006) - Better than the overrated Braveheart.

The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)

Street Kings (2008)

They Came Together (2014) - Brilliant meta romcom with fellow :rush: fan, Paul Rudd.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

^This. Braveheart was decent, but Apocalypto blew me away. James Horner's sound track is mesmerizing to boot.

My other choices:

The Seven Up's (1973)

Thief (1981)

Stick (1985)

Ed Wood (1994)

Dick (1999)

Captain Phillips (2013)

The Post (2017)

• Like 2

The Sender (1982)

Mystery Men (1999)

Brigsby Bear (2017)

Rumble Fish (1983)

The Dream Team (1989)

Something Wild (1986)

Street Kings (2008)

They Came Together (2014) - Brilliant meta romcom with fellow :rush: fan, Paul Rudd.

I remember liking The Dream Team when I was younger. I haven't seen it in ages, so I don't know if it has held up well or not. Very good cast in it.

The Sender (1982)

Mystery Men (1999)

Brigsby Bear (2017)

Rumble Fish (1983)

The Dream Team (1989)

Something Wild (1986)

Street Kings (2008)

I remember liking The Dream Team when I was younger. I haven't seen it in ages, so I don't know if it has held up well or not. Very good cast in it. Speaking of Costner, The War is an underrated coming of age movie with a young Elijah Wood as his son.

I revisited it on Starz. I saw parts of it on Showtime as a kid but not the entire thing. It's hilarious.

I'll add Tony Scott's 1990 movie, Revenge. The one box office flop hiccup in Kevin Costner's hot streak back then yet it's one of his better movies.

• Like 1

My favorite ending to any movie ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=B1FMJdqqLiM&feature=emb_title

And hell yeah, it's severely underrated.

FIlmed not too far away from my hometown at the colleges in Claremont,CA and on the same street my grandparents lived on a handful blocks south of filming.

"This? This is ice. This is what happens to water when it gets too cold. This? This is Kent. This is what happens to people when they get too sexually frustrated."

• Like 1

Great movie. I memorized it decades ago. :LOL:

Chris: What about that time I found you naked with a bowl of jello?!

Kent: You did not!

Chris: This is true.

Kent: I was hot and I was hungry.

:LOL:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

FIlmed not too far away from my hometown at the colleges in Claremont,CA and on the same street my grandparents lived on a handful blocks south of filming.

"This? This is ice. This is what happens to water when it gets too cold. This? This is Kent. This is what happens to people when they get too sexually frustrated."

That is awesome. When I was a kid a dreamed about living on a street like that - sunny, with pretty girls all over the place.

• Like 1

^This. Braveheart was decent, but Apocalypto blew me away. James Horner's sound track is mesmerizing to boot.

My other choices:

The Seven Up's (1973)

Thief (1981)

Stick (1985)

Ed Wood (1994)

Dick (1999)

Captain Phillips (2013)

The Post (2017)

The Seven Up's,,. the best ending to a car chase ever!

• Like 3

My other choices:

The Seven Up's (1973)

Thief (1981)

Stick (1985)

Ed Wood (1994)

Dick (1999)

Captain Phillips (2013)

The Post (2017)

THIEF! I LOVE that movie, its totally awesome!!!!!!!! And the seven ups another awesome one. The bad guy driving the car is a long haired version of one of the bad guys in Bullitt - and hes a real stunt driver I think...

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVmcBXVy8Og

AWESOME MOVIE!

"Speed" from the odd couple is in there, as is Joe Spinell who was Gazzo the loan shark in Rock and Willy Cicci in The Godfather(s). Gazzo in Rocky had a line that still lives in Philly til today amonst older guys like me, Gazzo's driver who hates Rocky tell him to take Talia SHire to the zoo for a date, Rocky asks why and he says "Cause retards love da zoooo!" to which Rocky almost jumps over Gazzo to kill the guy. From 1976 to today people of the age to remember the movie used this line constantly to the question "Where should we go.." "Take her to da zoooooooo!!!!!!!!"

ETA: God I love the internet, heres the exchange...

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1

That is awesome. When I was a kid a dreamed about living on a street like that - sunny, with pretty girls all over the place.

The downtown area just west is awesome as well.

I got around to this movie on Starz a handful of months ago and laughed my ass off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut9GvlhB9f4

• Like 1

My other choices:

The Seven Up's (1973)

Thief (1981)

Stick (1985)

Ed Wood (1994)

Dick (1999)

Captain Phillips (2013)

The Post (2017)

THIEF! I LOVE that movie, its totally awesome!!!!!!!! And the seven ups another awesome one. The bad guy driving the car is a long haired version of one of the bad guys in Bullitt - and hes a real stunt driver I think...

Yep, Bill Hickman drove in Seven Ups, French Connection and the car being chased by Steve McQueen in Bullitt.

Greatness from start to finish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C8fB8p6crY

I got 20 minutes into the R rated cut on Starz but wasn't able to finish it since it expired. It could pop up on HBO Max since it's a Warner movie.

some 80s comedies:

The Lonely Guy (1984)

The Sure Thing (1985)

Lost In America (1985)

Top Secret! (1984)

Innserspace (1987)

Three O Clock High (1987) - Fist Fight with Ice Cube and Charlie Day ripped this movie off big time.

Mischief (1985) - RIP Kelly Preston

Night Of The Creeps - If John Hughes did an 80s slug zombie horror movie, this would be the result.

Gung Ho! (1986) - All 3 of the Keaton/Opie collaborations are underrated to be honest. My senior year Economics teacher showed this movie to my 5th period class I was in for the last semester of high school.

I love Christopher Walken. He's one of my favorite actors of all time. His performance in The Deer Hunter still haunts me.

• Like 3