Working Man vs. Fight The Good Fight

Entre_Perpetuo

choose one  

26 members have voted

1. 1. song

• Working Man - Rush
    • Fight The Good Fight - Triumph

Working Man.

Triumph has always been a band that got me to wonder "why are they still playing this?" When I would hear one of their hits on the radio. I get playing them a lot when the songs were newer. But why a decade or two later are they still being played? The songs are fine but they are not timeless kind of good.

• Like 1

I went for Triumph here, for me it's the better song.

Same. Alex's solo in WM is epic, but the song itself is merely okay. FTGF might be Triumph's best-crafted song.

Honestly, I'm not sure how comparable these two songs are. I would have pitted this song against Working Man instead:

http://youtu.be/WX5wojkicvI

• Like 2

Same. Alex's solo in WM is epic, but the song itself is merely okay. FTGF might be Triumph's best-crafted song.

Honestly, I'm not sure how comparable these two songs are. I would have pitted this song against Working Man instead:

I always saw this song to be very Boston-like. The guitar tone, the drums, even Gil's vocals.

Honestly, I think Working Man vs Rock And Roll Machine may be a better comparison, although with Rik's legendary solo I feel R&R Machine would dominate that poll

It`d be appreciated if these match-ups provided a link to the non-Rush song, so musical dilettantes like me who don`t know every band from every genre could get more involved, without having to do anything :cool:
  • Like 1

And Working Man would have won that one, but yeah that match-up would make more sense both in terms of style and lyrics.

• Like 1

It`d be appreciated if these match-ups provided a link to the non-Rush song, so musical dilettantes like me who don`t know every band from every genre could get more involved, without having to do anything :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvOMyXOy_uk

See, I`d be matching up Working Man and Blackfoot`s Diary of a Workingman.

http://www.youtube.c...TO1B7hAK60.

It has some similarities with the Triumph number, just around the three minute mark

Edited by IbanezJem

"I LIVE FOR THE WEEKEND" RULES!!!! "Progressions Of Power" is my third favorite Triumph album dude!!!

I love "Working Man" but I'm going with RUSH JR today. "Fight The Good Fight" wins! Pun intended!!!

• Like 4

"I LIVE FOR THE WEEKEND" RULES!!!! "Progressions Of Power" is my third favorite Triumph album dude!!!

I love "Working Man" but I'm going with RUSH JR today. "Fight The Good Fight" wins! Pun intended!!!

Yes!

I just broke the tie baby!!

6-5 RUSH JR.

Fight The Good Fight easily.

It's not a derivative song.

Sarcasm, right? :unsure:

Nope.

I just don't get it. They sound so ordinary and derivative. Oh well, to each his own.

Rush in 1974 really sounded primitive and derivative as hell. Do you realize Rush would be Greta Van Fleet of the 70's if visionary Mr. Peart hasn't joined the band?

Nope.

I just don't get it. They sound so ordinary and derivative. Oh well, to each his own.

Rush in 1974 really sounded primitive and derivative as hell. Do you realize Rush would be Greta Van Fleet of the 70's if visionary Mr. Peart hasn't joined the band?

I have no idea. I am not privy to what would have happened if Neil Peart did not join Rush. I only know what actually happened.

• Like 1

Nope.

I have no idea. I am not privy to what would have happened if Neil Peart did not join Rush. I only know what actually happened.

This.

So much this.

And Fight The Good Fight actually sounds derivative of the first Rush album to me.

• Like 1

Nope.

This.

So much this.

And Fight The Good Fight actually sounds derivative of the first Rush album to me.

I want to clarify I don't think Triumph is bad.

Nope.

This.

So much this.

Well I just played Allied Forces for the first time. Not a bad song at all, great playing, good hooks. A handful of terrific songs.

I'm not blown away, I'm definitely not turned off either.

• Like 2

Nope.

This.

So much this.

Well I just played Allied Forces for the first time. Not a bad song at all, great playing, good hooks. A handful of terrific songs.

I'm not blown away, I'm definitely not turned off either.

NICE!

• Like 1

Nope.

This.

So much this.

Which is why I pitted it against Working Man!

Also if I had pitted it against something more contemporary from Rush, like Limelight or TS, we all know Rush would've won outright. This is a far more balanced matchup as displayed by the poll.