Afterimage vs. Emotion Detector

_hi_water._

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which Song Do You Like Better?

Emotion Detector gets my vote. Top 20 for sure. Cyclonus X-1 would probs agree with me on that one

I do indeed agree. Afterimage is great, but Emotion Detector is one of my absolute Rush favorites.

Ditto. :cheers:
  • Like 1

Afterimage is so poignant - and one of the first Peart songs to directly address a personal experience of his. It's a very sad, proto-emo track. I absolutely love the video - the way the band was shot was very well done. And Alex's solo was emotive and interesting. Much different then anything he played before. Andy Summers haunts a lot of the track.

It's a dirge though - a personal song where I feel something for the protagonist. But it's a bit melodramatic.

Emotion Detector has got Mr. Summers influencing this one too - but the solo - man the solo is so good.

I think Emotion Detector pinpoints exactly what I like about Rush. Excellent production, arrangement and musicianship. The lyrics are spot on, and take me back to the time when I was in High School and REALLY into Power Windows.

There's a spacial quality in the music - and open vibe that they immediately lost with HYF. There are a great deal of dynamics -

The intimate sounding -"when we lift the covers from our feelings, we expose our insecure spots..." a song about ME! And Ged sounds like he's right next to you - giving advice. f**k yeah this track rules. And NP on that synth snare during the verses --switching to the Slingerland for the chorus? BRILLIANT.

Emotion Detector.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 4

Afterimage is so poignant - and one of the first Peart songs to directly address a personal experience of his. It's a very sad, proto-emo track. I absolutely love the video - the way the band was shot was very well done. And Alex's solo was emotive and interesting. Much different then anything he played before. Andy Summers haunts a lot of the track.

It's a dirge though - a personal song where I feel something for the protagonist. But it's a bit melodramatic.

Emotion Detector has got Mr. Summers influencing this one too - but the solo - man the solo is so good.

I think Emotion Detector pinpoints exactly what I like about Rush. Excellent production, arrangement and musicianship. The lyrics are spot on, and take me back to the time when I was in High School and REALLY into Power Windows.

There's a spacial quality in the music - and open vibe that they immediately lost with HYF. There are a great deal of dynamics -

The intimate sounding -"when we lift the covers from our feelings, we expose our insecure spots..." a song about ME! And Ged sounds like he's right next to you - giving advice. f**k yeah this track rules. And NP on that synth snare during the verses --switching to the Slingerland for the chorus? BRILLIANT.

Emotion Detector.

I was torn but this convinced me. Emotion Detector it is. :goodone:

• Like 2

I've liked both songs. I like "Afterimage" more, and who it was written about, and dedicated to.

Afterimage. I remember hearing it for the first time on the Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance on BBC radio 1, before the album was released. It was an exciting moment for me, and I enjoy the song to this day. I also remember thinking though that I hoped it was the weakest song on the album, I wanted much, much better.
  • Like 1

TBH both songs do very little for me. At a push I will choose Emotion Detector but it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Afterimage is the 2nd best song on P/G. Emotion Detector is not the 2nd best song on PoW.

The 2nd best song off Snakes or Test for Echo would get decimated by the worst song off MP.

True, true, I realize the flaw in my message. I mean, I don't agree with your statement but I see what you are getting at

Edited by ST3V
  • Like 1

Afterimage is the 2nd best song on P/G. Emotion Detector is not the 2nd best song on PoW.

The 2nd best song off Snakes or Test for Echo would get decimated by the worst song off MP.

True, true, I realize the flaw in my message. I mean, I don't agree with your statement but I see what you are getting at

Yeah, I just said that to make a point regardless of if others agreed with the statement itself.

Both good but went with Emotion Detector. The thing that detracts Afterimage is that side one of GUP all the songs sound alike...very similar tempos and simple chord structures. As overly synthy as Power Windows is, there's alot of dynamics between songs. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

IMO Emotion Detector is the weakest link on Power Windows.

can't tell if serious

Yes, seriously.

Also I'm quite surprised that 9 people voted for ED here, since most people voted it as the weakest track on Power Windows in this poll:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/102767-your-top-3-and-the-weakest-songs-on-power-windows/

IMO Emotion Detector is the weakest link on Power Windows.

can't tell if serious

Yes, seriously.

Also I'm quite surprised that 9 people voted for ED here, since most people voted it as the weakest track on Power Windows in this poll:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/102767-your-top-3-and-the-weakest-songs-on-power-windows/

Were the 9 the same as the ones who voted ED the weakest?

It’s also possible they think that even though they voted ED the weakest, they believe it’s still better than Afterimage.