Moving Pictures on Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Best Albums of All Time

RushFanForever

In 2003, I purchased a physical copy of Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Best Albums of All Time, which is noted here.

The original list doesn't have any RUSH albums listed.

Today Rolling Stone magazine has published a 2020 revamped update of the 500 Best Albums of All Time, with Moving Pictures listed at #379, which is noted here.

Edited by RushFanForever

Morse code–inspired instrumental “YYZ”

What the frack? Airport identification code.

I think they're referencing the intro riff, which is morse code for YYZ

I’ll stand down.

• Like 1

Morse code–inspired instrumental “YYZ”

What the frack? Airport identification code.

I think they're referencing the intro riff, which is morse code for YYZ

I’ll stand down.

lol
  • Like 1

Nice to see RS has begun to realize if it wants anyone to have any respect for them anymore they're going to have to admit some of the stuff they trashed in decades passed was actually pretty good... too bad they're too stubborn to give Rush any better than some 300 spot for only one album.

I actually will read through the list though, as I definitely used Rolling Stone as a (just one, not by any means my preferred one either) resource for getting a grasp on what was popular and well respected in the music world when I was first getting into music. Maybe they've improved?

379 ?!

I demand a re-count!

No way. Utter bullsh*t. It should be at least in the top ten...of all time, of any music, of any group...of all time.

Did I say "Of All Time"?. In any galaxy. In any solar system!

Right?

Says me.

Ugh, popular radio play wins again.

Edited by Bahamas
  • Like 1

A casual stroll through the top 50 reveals.... actually not the worst list I've ever seen. RS have gone ahead and admitted they tend to be very white, male, rockstar focused and have attempted to correct that wholesale. Are the choices cliche? Yeah, I wouldn't expect any less. But I think it's a large step in the right direction. Lots of soul and hip-hop classics in the top 50 alongside the usual rock titans, including some occasionally very recent records too (2015's To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar? Heck to the yes!). So pros: it's significantly more inclusive than the old list just from a cursory glance (though the old list was so ridiculously exclusive that this isn't a difficult feat), and I can't really argue than any of the records listed don't belong on such a list. As for cons? I mean, the choices are cliche, which is to be expected, and of course there's the typical lack of prog and metal (which RS still seems loath to admit are profoundly important pieces of the modern musical puzzle), and a lack of other styles and genres which I'm not as well versed in (EDM? Classical? Kind Of Blue is the only jazz album in the top 50 really?) as well as non-english music (the entire top 50 is actually all American and British plus Bob Marley's greatest hits). I have plenty of personal quibbles with certain albums placing over others (Pet Sounds greater than any Beatles album at all? I don't think so.), but I really think this is (a very late) slight redemption for RS. Perhaps one day Pitchfork can also drop a tad of its elitist snobbery.
  • Like 2

Any list where a Rush album isn't in the Top 100 is not worth reading

As others have already said, it's Rolling Stone so it automatically isn't worth your eyeballs on the print. Remember, this rag has constantly and consistently slagged hard rock and heavy metal for the entirety of its existence.

Edited by driventotheedge

My understanding from folks who have worked there is that Jann Wenner hated prog rock and was the driving force in keeping Rush and other similar bands off these lists in years past. But he sold the magazine a few years ago and doesn't really have any involvement anymore, and their coverage of Rush has become a lot more positive since then.

Any list that starts with "Rolling Stone" isn't worth reading.

It still makes me laugh that those douchebags came around, apparently reluctantly, to join the world and other artists in recognizing Rush. i said it before and I'll say ti again, didn't need their approval, didn't want their approval, and no real fan in a room would greet them warmly for having come around. F-ck Rolling Stone.

• Like 5

Any list that starts with "Rolling Stone" isn't worth reading.

It still makes me laugh that those douchebags came around, apparently reluctantly, to join the world and other artists in recognizing Rush. i said it before and I'll say ti again, didn't need their approval, didn't want their approval, and no real fan in a room would greet them warmly for having come around. F-ck Rolling Stone.

Yes as well.

FUCQH Rolling Stone.

• Like 2

My understanding from folks who have worked there is that Jann Wenner hated prog rock and was the driving force in keeping Rush and other similar bands off these lists in years past. But he sold the magazine a few years ago and doesn't really have any involvement anymore, and their coverage of Rush has become a lot more positive since then.

I think there was some game being played with the "In" bands and RS in the 70,80,90s.

Payola, blow, free tickets, access to the cool parties etc.

Since prog bands were more punk than any other acts, and didn't need RS at all, they were hated. Oh, you're going to write a mean review? Who gives a shit.

The reality is that kids didn't give a shit about RS then, either. I enjoyed reading it - but it didn't stop me, as hard as they could try, from being a DIE HARD Rush, Yes, Genesis and King Crimson fan.

• Like 3

They treated Sabbath like shit too. Took them many years to get in after they first became eligible, 11 actually. Sabbath's place in music is hugely important. Whether or not you think they invented metal, it cannot be argued that they made it a force and coalesced the early influences/forays into a true genre. They also slagged Zep endlessly. Wenner is notorious for disliking prog and metal. Fukk him forever and always.
  • Like 1

Lauryn Hill is in the top 10? Very moronic.

I mean, not true. I'm not a huge fan of hers myself but that album is very well renowned in both the hip hop world and the soul world as one of the greatest of all time.

I mean, not true. I'm not a huge fan of hers myself but that album is very well renowned in both the hip hop world and the soul world as one of the greatest of all time.

Whatever. I have nothing againt Mrs Hill, but I still find very absurd to see her album in the top 10, while i.e. Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is about 20 spots lower, although being the much more significant classic in music history.

And Kanye West gets too much ass kissing as usual.

Whatever. I have nothing againt Mrs Hill, but I still find very absurd to see her album in the top 10, while i.e. Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is about 20 spots lower, although being the much more significant classic in music history.

And Kanye West gets too much ass kissing as usual.

Why do you find it absurd that a critically and publicly acclaimed album which is generally considered a classic would sit in the top ten?

Kind Of Blue might be the best selling jazz album of all time, but that doesn't really make it anywhere close to the greatest. It's honestly a little tepid in places. Sketches Of Spain is much more interesting.

Have you ever actually listened to Kanye? I don't think so many of his albums deserve to be in the top 500 as there are, but just one is probably too few as well.