And you thought France and Rock 'n' Roll couldn't go together?

Rutlefan

Well I did, mostly, until I heard this, L'Epee. Granted, this is VU-style rock 'n' Roll, which is a good thing, and the main musical force behind the band -- The Brian Jonestown Massacre's very own Anton Newcombe -- is American... U-S-A!

Love the album, esp the first two tracks...

Yeah but Trust did the original.

I know that.

I don't mind covers when a band doesn't go the obvious route of doing some well known hit. When they use their name to give some love to the lesser known artists, I appreciate that. Metallica has done that with most of the covers they've recorded. Anthrax did a nice job with this one.

• Like 1

France have Gojira, and they are much better than this.

Saw them with Behemoth and Slipknot last year. Probably the heaviest show overall I have ever been to. Surprised my ears still work lol.

I LOVE BEHEMOTH! I've been a fan about fifteen years, watching them become practically mainstream in the UK and Europe is crazy.

Are you aware that the front man was a main judge on the Polish version of The Voice? And this was BEFORE The Satanist.

• Like 1

Yeah but Trust did the original.

I know that.

I don't mind covers when a band doesn't go the obvious route of doing some well known hit. When they use their name to give some love to the lesser known artists, I appreciate that. Metallica has done that with most of the covers they've recorded. Anthrax did a nice job with this one.

Agreed, and it puts the spotlight on some less well known bands.

Leave it to TRF to turn a thread about a VU-tribute band (in a sense) into yet another heavy metal thread. Not complaining just have no idea what you all are talking about. The idea of French heavy metal does make my skin crawl a bit though. BTW, saying Gojira is "much better than this" is like saying Metallica is much better than Simon and Garfunkel; they're not playing in the same sandbox.

Nemo is another fine French band. Very definitely a progressive band but highly recommended if you don't mind French language vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHknO8JMorM

Nemo is another fine French band. Very definitely a progressive band but highly recommended if you don't mind French language vocals.

I grew up with a French stepdad so I've always found if hard to sort my feeling about people speaking/singing French. I'm kind of inclined towards Steve Martin, "What happened what happened!?" "He spoke French, help him!"

• Like 1

I grew up with a French stepdad so I've always found if hard to sort my feeling about people speaking/singing French. I'm kind of inclined towards Steve Martin, "What happened what happened!?" "He spoke French, help him!"

There are a few bands I listen to who sing in their native tongue - Nemo, Lazuli from France, Rammstein from Germany spring to mind - I guess if the music is good enough it doesn't really matter.
  • Like 1

There are a few bands I listen to who sing in their native tongue - Nemo, Lazuli from France, Rammstein from Germany spring to mind - I guess if the music is good enough it doesn't really matter.

Despite the importance some put on lyrics, and I admit I can enjoy a good turn of phrase, I mostly think of vocals as another instrument and don't really care what's being said. It's like listening to the Cocteau Twins; for the most part I can't make out the language let alone words but I loooove Elizabeth Frazier's voice. Or take early R.E.M.; intentionally nonsensical mumbling, but it worked.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Leave it to TRF to turn a thread about a VU-tribute band (in a sense) into yet another heavy metal thread. Not complaining just have no idea what you all are talking about. The idea of French heavy metal does make my skin crawl a bit though. BTW, saying Gojira is "much better than this" is like saying Metallica is much better than Simon and Garfunkel; they're not playing in the same sandbox.

Well acting like it's a miracle France rocks when France has one of rock and metals brightest bands of the millennium to date just seemed a tad of an oversight.

But you're welcome to be delicate about it, it's 2020.

France also has Jacques Brel, Daft Punk, and Magma. No doubt in my mind France can rock, pop, or whatever you want with the best of them.

Well acting like it's a miracle France rocks when France has one of rock and metals brightest bands of the millennium to date just seemed a tad of an oversight.

But you're welcome to be delicate about it, it's 2020.

Ha, I don't know about "being delicate" but you're awfully literal about things. You don't recognize tongue in cheek humor? (In this case the not unexpected joke about the French and rock; similar to the almost-mandatory Uranus/your anus joke among astronomers, but only the really really smart ones)? Do you really imagine I find it astonishing a good band has come from France, or that there had never been a good band before this one I posted? Relax, good grief. BTW, my kids listen to Phoenix's 1901 nearly every day to or from school. They're French of course and pretty good on the whole from what I've heard, despite not being quite in my sweet spot stylistically. There are many others of course; I've heard them over the years.