The Who or The Police  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you prefer, the Who or the Police?

The Cops. I think The Who's early stuff is on par with The Beatles' and Stones' material from the same time period. I think Tommy is vastly superior to Quadrophenia (which I think is way overrated). Who's Next is in the discussion for greatest album of all time.

But The Police have no clunkers in their short catalog. One of my favorite all time bands.

• Like 1

I love the Who.

I love the Police.

I think the Who have more rock artillery behind them - bombast and heft, but with the capability to demonstrate a very sensitive aspect to their songwriting.

The Police have Sting - so very refined songcraft, and extremely tight arrangements. Live they're loose and super fun. But were they ever transcendent live? I think the Who most definitely were.

And let's be honest - Townshend is just more interesting a guitar player than Andy Summers, and more interesting a lyricist. Sting is fantastic, but does he ever really reveal anything about himself in his songwriting? Does he ever show or allow vulnerability? No.

Live, Andy tries really too hard - fluidity is not his strong suit - not within the rock paradigm anyway. Townshend performance level - to lock in with his drummer and band - to vibe off the moment - is at an A+ level. Sting ranks at a solid A. When I saw him with Peter Gabriel a few years ago he was utterly fantastic.

But the Police don't have a Baba O'Reilly in their set.

Edge goes to the 'oo.

I love the Who.

I love the Police.

I think the Who have more rock artillery behind them - bombast and heft, but with the capability to demonstrate a very sensitive aspect to their songwriting.

The Police have Sting - so very refined songcraft, and extremely tight arrangements. Live they're loose and super fun. But were they ever transcendent live? I think the Who most definitely were.

And let's be honest - Townshend is just more interesting a guitar player than Andy Summers, and more interesting a lyricist. Sting is fantastic, but does he ever really reveal anything about himself in his songwriting? Does he ever show or allow vulnerability? No.

Live, Andy tries really too hard - fluidity is not his strong suit - not within the rock paradigm anyway. Townshend performance level - to lock in with his drummer and band - to vibe off the moment - is at an A+ level. Sting ranks at a solid A. When I saw him with Peter Gabriel a few years ago he was utterly fantastic.

Edge goes to the 'oo.

I saw the Police on the Synchronicity tour and in 2007. They were "transcendent" both times. There's a completely different vibe to the bands, so I don't think you can use the same metric for them when talking about live performances. The best live show I've ever seen was Harry Connick, Jr. in a theater in 2000. Obviously, that was different than seeing Ozzy on the Diary tour. The Who have a few albums that aren't great, and a few songs on great albums that aren't up to par. The Police don't.

• Like 1

I love the Who.

I love the Police.

Edge goes to the 'oo.

I saw the Police on the Synchronicity tour and in 2007. They were "transcendent" both times. There's a completely different vibe to the bands, so I don't think you can use the same metric for them when talking about live performances. The best live show I've ever seen was Harry Connick, Jr. in a theater in 2000. Obviously, that was different than seeing Ozzy on the Diary tour. The Who have a few albums that aren't great, and a few songs on great albums that aren't up to par. The Police don't.

The metric for comparing bands is simple: which one do you enjoy more?

I love the Who.

I love the Police.

Edge goes to the 'oo.

I think when EP mentions "rock artillery," Summers' playing "within the rock paradigm," and being "transcendent" live, you can infer what he's getting at. Anyways, it's still the Cops for me.

I love the Who.

I love the Police.

Edge goes to the 'oo.

I think when EP mentions "rock artillery," Summers' playing "within the rock paradigm," and being "transcendent" live, you can infer what he's getting at. Anyways, it's still the Cops for me.

I definitely don't think Townshend is a more interesting guitarist than Summers. Not by a long shot.

I’m sorry but there is no comparison between The Who live at their peak and The Police at their peak.

In the studio - The Police churned our more consistently great songs over their 5 albums.

Townshend pushed the envelope more. I think Sting emulates him in many ways.

I love the Who.

I love the Police.

Edge goes to the 'oo.

I definitely don't think Townshend is a more interesting guitarist than Summers. Not by a long shot.

Within rock and blues Townshend is masterful.

Summers is a brilliant musician - but he’s more of a jazz guy and an innovator. But he’s not an electrifying performer. Just isn’t.

I love the Who.

I love the Police.

Edge goes to the 'oo.

Summers is a brilliant musician - but he’s more of a jazz guy and an innovator. But he’s not an electrifying performer. Just isn’t.

We can agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Who are you to make this poll? :LOL:

I was making polls when you were swimming around in your dad's balls.

That's fuckking funny Duck. I just went through a Who and Police phase. You must have a camera in my house! Lol!!!

I love both bands!!!

I have to go with THE WHO!

Next to Neil Peart it's Pete Townshend for me. Wish I could meet Pete one day.

• Like 3

That's fuckking funny Duck. I just went through a Who and Police phase. You must have a camera in my house! Lol!!!

I love both bands!!!

I thought it was Neil and Keith Richards that were your top 2 idols Earl.

• Like 1

I've been very lucky. I've seen every drummer live in The Who except Keith Moon. I was too young. But I did see Kenny Jones on the "It's Hard" Tour. 1982. The Clash opened.

Saw The Who with Simon Phillips in the early 90's. My second favorite drummer. Then of course Ringo's kid 5 times.

• Like 1

I love both bands!!!

I thought it was Neil and Keith Richards that were your top 2 idols Earl.

NO!!!!

Not Keith at all!!!!!

It's Neil and Pete!!!

• Like 1

I love the Who.

I love the Police.

Edge goes to the 'oo.

We can agree to disagree.

I thought you two were the two metalheads on the forum, I'm shocked to see you discussing the skills of Mrs Summers little boy Andrew.

I've been very lucky. I've seen every drummer live in The Who except Keith Moon. I was too young. But I did see Kenny Jones on the "It's Hard" Tour. 1982. The Clash opened.

Saw The Who with Simon Phillips in the early 90's. My second favorite drummer. Then of course Ringo's kid 5 times.

Is Kenny Jones your number 2 Earl?

• Like 1