Wonder Woman 1984

circumstantial tree

My first new topic on TRF in quite some time. Anybody else looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman 1984? I absolutely loved the first movie in 2017. I had my doubts at first back then since Lynda Carter owned that role in the late 1970s. But Gal Gadot has proved she can take the role in the movie industry. Because I was so impressed with the first movie, I now look forward to the new film once it ever opens.

Originally, it was going to open a year ago in December, but director Patty Jenkins decided to move the opening date to June 2020, unaware, just as we all were, that the pandemic would rear its ugly head. Opening date has been moved several times since with a new release date, as of now, on Christmas Day.

My fantasy would be that if there is an 80s music soundtrack, Rush would somehow be on it. Since the movie takes place in 1984 I even fantasized that song from Grace Under Pressure would appear in it somewhere, or maybe even something from Signals. Given some of the plot points, it would seem "The Big Money" would be ideal, but that didn't come out until 1985.

In this movie, Diana deals with two foes - Maxwell Lord (who I think is patterned after Donald Trump of the 1980s era) as well as Barbara Minerva once she transforms into Cheetah, a major foe for Diana in the comics, but was never seen in the 1970s series. Cheetah, I think, is Wonder Woman's biggest enemy in the comics in the same way Joker is Batman's most important foe.

The character of Steve Trevor, who died in the first film, reappears in this new film causing people to wonder how that could be possible. Although I've seen and heard leaks about the plot in the second film, I can see how it is possible whether fans would may or may not like that.

I plan on seeing the movie as soon as it opens in theaters.

• Like 2

I liked, and enjoyed "Wonder Woman". I'm wanting to see "Wonder Woman 1984", but whether I will see it in theatres, I'm not sure, and haven't decided.
  • Like 1

I enjoyed WW but like Black Panther didn't feel it lived up to the hype.

I get enough Trump in real life I don't need it for my escape movies. If this is some revisionist history trashing America circa 1984 I'll pass.

The Maxwell Lord villain isn’t a play off Trump. The character debuted in the comics in the mid-late 80s, a product of the greed of that decade. He’s more connected to Gordon Gecko....and he even precedes that character.

Yep. No need for revisionism when you have 80s scumbags like Ivan Boesky.

The Maxwell Lord villain isn’t a play off Trump. The character debuted in the comics in the mid-late 80s, a product of the greed of that decade. He’s more connected to Gordon Gecko....and he even precedes that character.

Yep. No need for revisionism when you have 80s scumbags like Ivan Boesky.

Yeah hell, if anything, Gordon Gecko AND Maxwell Lord are based off Ivan Boesky. Or, at least, some of his DNA is in them.

• Like 1

I liked, and enjoyed "Wonder Woman". I'm wanting to see "Wonder Woman 1984", but whether I will see it in theatres, I'm not sure, and haven't decided.

I haven't met one bad review of it yet, lol. I must get to it soon. Not sure about latest yet.

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1