David Villeneuve's DUNE - Official Trailer

Principled Man

Frank Herbert's Dune (1965): Liet-Kynes is the Imperial Planetologist and father of Chani. He is the Judge of The Change and the leader of the Fremen, who see him as a holy man. He seeks to transform Arrakis from a desert planet to a paradise with plenty of water and vegetation.

Denis Villeneuve's Dune (2020): Liet-Kynes is the Imperial Planetologist and mother of Chani. She is portrayed by Sharon Duncan-Brewster.

STRIKE ONE.

FFS, why does Hollywood have to meddle when it's not neccessary?

Too many wussies who aren't willing to take a chance on untested scripts.

They'd rather redo a movie which had mixed reviews, lost money, but has name recognition.

Stupid yet not surprising.

It's been the worst I've seen lately. It's so bad that there's a GD Ben Hur remake from a few years ago lately. That's like remaking Godfather and Back To The Future ffs. That may be the most pointless remake to happen since that shot for shot Psycho from Gus Van Sant.

Don’t forget the Raging Bull sequel they made a couple years ago!

Frank Herbert's Dune (1965): Liet-Kynes is the Imperial Planetologist and father of Chani. He is the Judge of The Change and the leader of the Fremen, who see him as a holy man. He seeks to transform Arrakis from a desert planet to a paradise with plenty of water and vegetation.

Denis Villeneuve's Dune (2020): Liet-Kynes is the Imperial Planetologist and mother of Chani. She is portrayed by Sharon Duncan-Brewster.

STRIKE ONE.

They'd rather redo a movie which had mixed reviews, lost money, but has name recognition.

It's been the worst I've seen lately. It's so bad that there's a GD Ben Hur remake from a few years ago lately. That's like remaking Godfather and Back To The Future ffs. That may be the most pointless remake to happen since that shot for shot Psycho from Gus Van Sant.

I forgot and for good reason. MGM rightfully sued the makers of it.

STRIKE ONE.

A Raging Bull sequel sounds weak.

STRIKE ONE.

It would have been just as bad as that one joke movie showdown of Rocky and Raging 7 years ago, Grudge Match. What made it worse was that Stallone was less worse than DeNiro. Sly at least put in SOME effort. DeNiro is just collecting another paycheck for his restaurants and Tribeca festivals he runs. Stick to Copland for a good movie with the two.

Edited by invisible airwave

STRIKE ONE.

It would have been just as bad as that one joke movie showdown of Rocky and Raging 7 years ago, Grudge Match. What made it worse was that Stallone was less worse than DeNiro. Sly at least put in SOME effort. DeNiro is just collecting another paycheck for his restaurants and Tribeca festivals he runs. Stick to Copland for a good movie with the two.

Right. Copland’s a great one.

• Like 1

And it's pushed to 2021 because COVID, obviously. No Time To Die got pushed back as well for the 2nd time to next year. Not surprising since Regal, which is my closest theater in Ontario,CA, just announced they're closing all their 536 theaters until further notice.

A local AMC was being constructed near me since last year in Montclair oddly enough. Was looking forward to it. Their mall used to have an old General Cinema theater back in the day.

Edited by invisible airwave

Did anyone see the mini-series that Sci-Fi channel made in the early 2000's? I thought that was really good (if obviously made on a tight budget).

Being a series, they could fit much more into it than you could in a movie.

They also followed it up with Children of Dune

I watched both when they aired, and I have the DVD’s. They’re not perfect, but they’re pretty good. I thought Alec Newman was excellent as Muad’Dib.

I haven't actually seen these, just dismissed them at the time....Think I will have to check them out now as I know your opinion will be one of the more discerning ones.

I thought the Sci-Fi channel shows were very good (bought both on DVD), The Baron is a great character and most of the cast is very well represented by the actors playing them.

I was delighted to get the Children of Dune as a follow up and as above I thought Alec Newman played that part well in the sequel.

STRIKE ONE.

The Charlton Heston Ben Hur movie was in itself a remake.

The irony.