George "Sulu" Takei Comes Out!

rushgoober

He will always be Sulu to me.

There were a few episodes where Sulu did some dancing. He was quite good. Now we know why.

No matter, he is a cool dude. I have always liked him. He's still Sulu and now he is most certainly George Takei.

I still like him. He's cool.

Edited by war2112

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 30 2005, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Oct 30 2005, 02:06 PM)
Who cares?

Yeah, exactly.

I do!

Seriously, any celebrity who comes out proudly is another small step in showing people that there's nothing wrong or unnatural about it. Small steps towards gay civil rights IMHO...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 30 2005, 02:10 PM)
Who cares?

Yeah, exactly.

Ditto.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 30 2005, 04:09 PM)
Who cares?

Yeah, exactly.

I do!

Seriously, any celebrity who comes out proudly is another small step in showing people that there's nothing wrong or unnatural about it. Small steps towards gay civil rights IMHO...

In all honesty, it doesn't really matter in WHO he is. I think that's what the "who cares" means? Maybe? Yes, it is good that things like this contribute to the civil rights of homosexuals, but it matters not that George Takei is himself gay. But some of us just couldn't help ourselves with the star trek/gay jokes. Sad, but funny all the same. Sorry.

trink39.gif to Sulu

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 30 2005, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 30 2005, 04:09 PM)
Who cares?

Yeah, exactly.

I do!

In all honesty, it doesn't really matter in WHO he is. I think that's what the "who cares" means? Maybe? Yes, it is good that things like this contribute to the civil rights of homosexuals, but it matters not that George Takei is himself gay. But some of us just couldn't help ourselves with the star trek/gay jokes. Sad, but funny all the same. Sorry.

trink39.gif to Sulu

Do I care personally that he in particular is gay? No, not at all. Interesting information, but only vaguely so. It's just that every little step adds to it being considered natural and normal.

Edited by rushgoober

Silly Gary.

You need to explain everything to the "n"th degree so there's no chance of anyone getting the wrong meaning in your post.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 31 2005, 01:35 PM)
laides and gentlemen, this is a tiny taste of why i left politics - conversational argumentative drivel - sorry i started the darn thread - goob out...

Not a big deal, Goob. A topic such as this is was bound to start a debate, and debate is healthy, isn't it? If everybody agreed with everybody about everything, we wouldn't need message boards. wink.gif

I think a lot of y'all are missing the point. The reason a person comes out (famous or not) is because they are tired of living a lie. Sexual orientation is still an issue in this goofy country. To be gay and an ethnic minority is a double-whammy.

Mr. Takei did not come out to score any points, or to advance any kind of political agenda. He merely just wants to be himself, and never have to pretend again.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Oct 31 2005, 11:15 AM)
I think a lot of y'all are missing the point. The reason a person comes out (famous or not) is because they are tired of living a lie. Sexual orientation is still an issue in this goofy country. To be gay and an ethnic minority is a double-whammy.

Mr. Takei did not come out to score any points, or to advance any kind of political agenda. He merely just wants to be himself, and never have to pretend again.

goodpost.gif

also, i think if it was a non-issue, that is if there were no stigma, no prejudice, etc., then it really would completely be a "who cares" scenario - until that time, the more exposure it gets the better imho, not so people can judge, but in the long term struggle for acceptance and equality. it may very well be that george takei didn't do it to help bring about acceptance, but for the reason grizz eloquently stated above. regardless of his particular motivation, i think both meanings have a lot of validity.

regarding debate, i think debate can be healthy, but not always, at least for me - i'm much happier debating the merits of vapor trails or things that are lighter - often debating extremely heartfelt important issues for me is actually miserable and definitively unhealthy, which is why i'm shying away from it.

and pedro, for what it's worth, i hope i didn't offend in any way.

peace,

gary

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 31 2005, 04:20 PM)

and pedro, for what it's worth, i hope i didn't offend in any way.

No Problemo! I actually agree with the vast majority of what you've said in this thread.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 31 2005, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Oct 28 2005, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 28 2005, 04:28 PM)
He boldly went where no Star Trek cast member had gone before!

Yeah in another man's but ph34r.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Star Crack, The Next Penetration........

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Oct 31 2005, 02:15 PM)

Where I'd love to COMPLETELY agree Grizz, i don't have that much faith in the reasons that celebrities do ANYTHING. I wouldn't doubt that Mr. Takei has a book coming out soon and this was the big press break that a very end of his career minor celebrity needs to cash in one more time. I hope i'm wrong because I hold the cast of Star Trek near and dear to my heart, but I just have a very negative attitude toward anything that any hollywood celebrity does. It could very well be that he was just sick of living a lie, but somehow i see a big KA-CHING on its way.

In no way am i debating your words about this goofy country. I am in near total agreement on everything you and Goobs are saying. I just have a naturally skeptical attitude toward any celebrities motives today.