When did you break up with Rush?

Weatherman

1st breakup was PeW. "What, no side-long epic? Man, if this is the way all their 80s albums are going to sound, then screw that". Lasted about a week, and then I adapted and was fully back in the fold.

2nd breakup was Signals. "Why am I straining to hear Alex? Oh yeah, because he's having to compete with all the keyboards". Lasted about a month, and again I adapted, and was mostly back in the fold.

3rd breakup was Vapor Trails. "My god, these are amazing lyrics, but Jesus Geddy, what happened to your consonants when you sing in your upper register, and why do these songs sound like they were stitched together from the 'discarded ideas garbage bin'?" Yeah, I bought the remaining two albums and still went to shows, but that was more out of a sense of duty than love for the band/material. We're still together, but, as B.B. sang, the thrill is gone.

Ditto

Seems like a good poll idea

How would you capture all the possible permutations?

Multiple polls, obviously.

"mommy, can we go see polls?"

"we have polls at home"

Polls at home:

this was a bad joke...

With Rush, I haven't had a break up. Through out the thick, thin, and everything, I think, and feel it's been consistent as they are still my favorite band, and group.
  • Like 2

I wouldn't say I ever broke up with the band but I found my enthusiasm waning after Test For Echo (the album not the tour) which was less than a great record and then Vapor Trails I was sort of back on board mostly even though it was three or four songs too long and I wasn't crazy about the too heavy sound but by far my biggest "WTF is going on with these guys?!?" was the stupid Snakes album.

After all the usual pre-release hype of "this is our best work ever!" and the hardcore fans declaring it the best thing Rush ever did post Moving Pictures, I was so let down by the record aside from Far Cry and Mal Narsissm was like a mini-YYZ and a fun little instrumental. Part of it was the times we were living in. It was pretty negative at the moment, I was tired of hearing about the Iraq/Afganistan Wars and President Bush being the constant thing to bitch about in pop culture news and music at the time and Rush generally avoided politics. So here they are popping off about war and politics and the overtly negative songs which were all recorded in the most uninteresting unmemorable unexciting way possible with some of Neil's worst lyrics ever and Geddy's worst singing ever , no hooks or exciting parts like they always seemed to come up with, and I was livid. I came so close to tossing the CD out of my car window. My favorite band had let me down big time. I saw them on tour and the only songs I enjoyed was the revival of Circumstances, Entre Nous, Mission. The performing of the new album almost start to finish was the longest bathroom and beer run break ever. I only own the album to be a completeist (sp?)

I also at the time was into younger hard rock bands like Jet, Wolfmother, Velvet Revolver which in comparison were way more exciting and uptempo than tired ol' Rush with their lethargic folk rock fusion flop album and classics which I had already heard 5 million times and before Lee's voice started to wear out. Saw Velvet Revolver live at PNC Arts Center that summer 2007 and they were awesome.

By the time Clockwork came out I was already aware that their songwriting abilites and Neil's lyrics had been on a downhill slope since TFE so I only bought it out of a sense of duty and it's stil the most dense indigestable slab of mostly unlistenable noise (and again three songs too long) I ever bought. A lot of the riffs and parts are good but like someone else put it, it's like Rush was just scotchtaping a bunch of parts from the garbage bin together slathtering the lyrics on top with Geddy's creaky aged voice straining and yodeling and declaring it a "song"

Edited by jnoble

I wouldn't say I ever broke up with the band but I found my enthusiasm waning after Test For Echo (the album not the tour) which was less than a great record and then Vapor Trails I was sort of back on board mostly even though it was three or four songs too long and I wasn't crazy about the too heavy sound but by far my biggest "WTF is going on with these guys?!?" was the stupid Snakes album.

After all the usual pre-release hype of "this is our best work ever!" and the hardcore fans declaring it the best thing Rush ever did post Moving Pictures, I was so let down by the record aside from Far Cry and Mal Narsissm was like a mini-YYZ and a fun little instrumental. Part of it was the times we were living in. It was pretty negative at the moment, I was tired of hearing about the Iraq/Afganistan Wars and President Bush being the constant thing to bitch about in pop culture news and music at the time and Rush generally avoided politics. So here they are popping off about war and politics and the overtly negative songs which were all recorded in the most uninteresting unmemorable unexciting way possible with some of Neil's worst lyrics ever and Geddy's worst singing ever , no hooks or exciting parts like they always seemed to come up with, and I was livid. I came so close to tossing the CD out of my car window. My favorite band had let me down big time. I saw them on tour and the only songs I enjoyed was the revival of Circumstances, Entre Nous, Mission. The performing of the new album almost start to finish was the longest bathroom and beer run break ever. I only own the album to be a completeist (sp?)

I also at the time was into younger hard rock bands like Jet, Wolfmother, Velvet Revolver which in comparison were way more exciting and uptempo than tired ol' Rush with their lethargic folk rock fusion flop album and classics which I had already heard 5 million times and before Lee's voice started to wear out. Saw Velvet Revolver live at PNC Arts Center that summer 2007 and they were awesome.

By the time Clockwork came out I was already aware that their songwriting abilites and Neil's lyrics had been on a downhill slope since TFE so I only bought it out of a sense of duty and it's stil the most dense indigestable slab of mostly unlistenable noise (and again three songs too long) I ever bought. A lot of the riffs and parts are good but like someone else put it, it's like Rush was just scotchtaping a bunch of parts from the garbage bin together slathtering the lyrics on top with Geddy's creaky aged voice straining and yodeling and declaring it a "song"

Hey, don't hold back. Let us know how you really feel.

lol

Your reaction is very personal.

Sounds kind of like you are blaming the Band for your disappointments.

A Happy Ending, good! But, 20 albums, or so, you choose two that did not make it up to your standards?

Please reread the name of this thread.

It's about the times when Rush disappointed us, as fans.

Why you dislike Vapor Trails?

He doesn't seem to like the debut or Caress, either. My guess is he couldn't get past the noisiness of VT, which I understand. I love the songs, but as a full album I think it's a pretty tough listen.

I've said it many times.

As a studio recording unit, Rush was born in 1976 and died in 1994.

End of story.

He doesn't seem to like the debut or Caress, either. My guess is he couldn't get past the noisiness of VT, which I understand. I love the songs, but as a full album I think it's a pretty tough listen.

I've said it many times.

End of story.

I mean, I disagree, but I do understand what you're getting at. Why 94 as your cutoff point though? CP was, what 93? and TFE was 96? 94 seems like a pretty arbitrary number going by studio album releases.

I've never broken up with the band and I never will as they're STILL are my #1 rock band. That said I did drift away from them a bit after TFE. I had so much going on in my life in the early 90's, got married had a child etc. However, when VT came out I just loved that album or I was just straight up hungry to eat up anything new from RUSH. I Of the 50 shows and tours I've seen since P/G that VT tour was the most I saw RUSH live 6 times as they kept coming back to the east coast and the DC Metro area. I even went to Baltimore with my then 7 year daughter eith the DC sniper was keeping people at home and the next day I was in London for a wedding. Man, this year I've listened to so much RUSH I had to purposely stop and give them a break especially with the lockdown back in March. At work I was given the name of the RUSHNUT Dude, mainly due to constantly listening every RUSH recording and my NP sticker on the back of my suv.

Peace

• Like 2

Well, I have to say you surely did not hold back one bit. I'll just say I totally agree with about S&A, that album has always rub me the wrong way. I just seem to not be able to connect with that album even though I saw that tour 4 times and loved the tour. There's hope for me and that album because there was a time I couldn't stand PW. I was expecting something similar to P/G my all time favorite RUSH album. Today, PW is probably, no it is in my top 10 Rush albums.

Peace

I've said it many times.

End of story.

And you'd be wrong.

Vapor Trails, much as you despise it, is one of my favourite albums by any band ever. I adore it.

• Like 1

I've said it many times.

End of story.

And you'd be wrong.

Vapor Trails, much as you despise it, is one of my favourite albums by any band ever. I adore it.

Vapor Trails was their best album since Power Windows... well Clockwork Angels kinda breaks that

I've said it many times.

End of story.

And you'd be wrong.

:ebert:

Sometime after Roll the Bones. I had been a fan since Moving Pictures, but a diehard since Signals. And I was in love with Rush the most between 1982 and 1989. I really liked Presto and Roll the Bones, but my enthusiasm had dwindled slightly between those albums. Roll the Bones I wasn't too sure of after the first couple of listens but it grew on me rather quickly. Around 1991, my musical interests were changing I think. I was simply ready to hear different bands, different sounds. During the summer of 1991 I started watching "120 Minutes" on MTV and was quickly enjoying bands that would be called alternative rock bands. Two musical movements came about then - "grunge", which was Seattle based and "shoe gaze", which was the newest wave out of the UK. I leaned more toward shoe gaze and similarly styled bands. I didn't quite warm up to grunge though. Because of my new music interests, I couldn't get into Counterparts (which I liked more over the years) nor Test for Echo (which still ranks at the bottom for me). Both musical movements lasted until around 1995 after which, we started seeing boy bands and other similar kinds of acts which I couldn't get into. And dear god, remember the macarena in 1996?

I bought "Different Stages" sometime after it was released and thought, for a live album, it was pretty damn good. In the late 1990s I was getting into ambient, new age style music and still think that most of it is not half bad, but it can be too moody at times. There was a jazz radio station out of Plymouth, MA that aired ambient style music on Sunday nights which introduced me to different performers.

My interest was renewed in Rush when Geddy's "My Favorite headache" came out and I heard about the first RushCon in 2001 which I attended. Finally, I was able to meet other big time Rush fans and my interest increased significantly as a result and word that Rush was working on their first new album at the time which would be "Vapor Trails". And I loved it! Something that was missing in T4E and Counterparts (not sure what it was) had reappeared on Vapor Trails. I went to opening night in Hartford, CT in May 2002. One of my most memorable Rush shows. And it was the first Rush concert I attended since Roll the Bones in March 1992 in Chapel Hill, NC.

When they released "Snakes and Arrows", I liked the album for a period but then got bored with it. Some great songs on it, but I never was in the mood to play it. I thought "Clockwork Angels" was much better but I'm never in the mood to play it. Vapor Trails is my "go to" album regarding the most recent releases.

• Like 4