Do I Need this Kind of Negativity in My Life?

JohnRogers

Is nobody reading the original post as J2112YYZ and I are?

To me, it reads more like the dude knows that Peart’s drumming was more demanding / grueling sooooo to be a drummer of that quality your whole life would be too much. Hence, Charlie Watts. There was no rip on Peart intended imho.

((watching tumbleweeds roll by and listening to crickets chirping))

• Like 5

To me, it reads more like the dude knows that Peart’s drumming was more demanding / grueling sooooo to be a drummer of that quality your whole life would be too much. Hence, Charlie Watts. There was no rip on Peart intended imho.

Yes, I did read that. It really can go both ways, ah the joy of written communication. I should ask Joe what he meant.

• Like 1

As seen from a friend on Fakebook.

If you're going to be a drummer your whole life, it's probably better to be Charlies Watt than Neil Peart. No one can get too old for the stuff Charlie does.

Should I cut this person out of my life? He did officiate my wedding.

There's only one reason to cut someone out of your life, that's not it, but you know what it is.

Blackhawks fan? :P

No, but it's kind of Chicago related, though.

Oh.

Cubs fan!

No. If someone invites you over for pizza. Then serves you some sloppy casserole that you need to use a knife and fork for to eat. Run and defriend them.

If i had the good stuff, I sure wouldn't share. I'd grab a piece of cardboard, sprinkle some cheese and as thinly as possible spread some tasteless tomato sauce on it and if they actually thought it was good, know better than to ever invite them again.

NWK, I've heard something about St. Louis (style) pizza but have never had any. It sounds intriguing.

If you're going to be a drummer your whole life, it's probably better to be Charlies Watt than Neil Peart. No one can get too old for the stuff Charlie does.

There's only one reason to cut someone out of your life, that's not it, but you know what it is.

No, but it's kind of Chicago related, though.

Oh.

Cubs fan!

No. If someone invites you over for pizza. Then serves you some sloppy casserole that you need to use a knife and fork for to eat. Run and defriend them.

If i had the good stuff, I sure wouldn't share. I'd grab a piece of cardboard, sprinkle some cheese and as thinly as possible spread some tasteless tomato sauce on it and if they actually thought it was good, know better than to ever invite them again.

NWK, I've heard something about St. Louis (style) pizza but have never had any. It sounds intriguing.

I have a whole pep talk for out of towners that visit, before having them try it lol

• Like 1

If you enjoy the physical activity of drumming, yeah, it's better to play an easier, more relaxed timekeeper style. You can do it more years.

If you want respect of your peers, then it's better to challenge yourself.

We guitarists don't have to make that choice.

Watts doesn't have the respect of his peers?

maybe I should've said "if you want the adulation of your peers".

Happy?

Yes, I did read that. It really can go both ways, ah the joy of written communication. I should ask Joe what he meant.

It has nothing to do with internet communication. There is nothing there to indicate that he was saying Charlie is the better drummer. I honestly have no clue what you're reading but it's not the same thing Blaze and I did.

• Like 1

If you enjoy the physical activity of drumming, yeah, it's better to play an easier, more relaxed timekeeper style. You can do it more years.

Happy?

Oh, so now Watts doesn't have the adulation of his peers?

All good points above .... however .... the two words i mentioned earlier still spring to mind!! I must learn to respect other opinions .... even when they are wrong lol!
  • Like 1

I’d bet a thousand cigars that he was actually complimenting Peart and Watts at the same time. And I don’t even smoke - I’d give the smokes right back to you after I won the bet! :blaze:

• Like 2

My response.

Agreed, simply keeping time the way Charlie does is easy on the body. Neil Peart’s complex drum fills require athleticism and endurance.

• Like 1

Cowboys fan

• Like 1

Happy?

He's a damn timekeeper, man.

Let's say you're a professional drummer. You really gonna cheer for someone who spent 50 years doing a style of drumming you learned in 6 months?

No, you're gonna roll your eyes and say, "Yeah, hey, what can I say, he's a perfect fit for the band he's in."

That's not adulation.

• Like 1

Happy?

He's a damn timekeeper, man.

Let's say you're a professional drummer. You really gonna cheer for someone who spent 50 years doing a style of drumming you learned in 6 months?

No, you're gonna roll your eyes and say, "Yeah, hey, what can I say, he's a perfect fit for the band he's in."

That's not adulation.

As I said earlier, Peart respected Watts.

https://ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=backroom;pid=633867;d=this

• Like 1

Jeebus, Charlie has to get some sort of credit for putting up with Mick and Keith for 55 years and staying professional through it all (and there was a lot of "all").

Haha, that's a great point. Maybe that's what Peart admired in Watts because HE (Neil) couldn't have tolerated the bickering twins for more than a week, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I don't see the problem. It's not like what they're saying is wrong. One of the reasons Neil retired is that it was becoming too hard on his body to play like he did. Watts is like 80 and still tours. This person does have a point.

Charlie is a genius as far as a drummer taking care of his body. I mean, think about how much Charlie has extended his career by laying off the hi-hat on just one beat (the back beat). Brilliant!

:P

Here's commentary on it, for the technically curious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrAQQZi1Jf4

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

so what was the meaning of this thread? that you don't want to be friends with someone because they thought a drummer was better than Neil Peart?

geez no wonder why some people consider Neil Peart to be an overrated drummer :huh:

Edit: I am not saying Neil Peart is overrated (he is the best drummer IMO as well) but people are entitled to their own opinions and taste...

Edited by _hi_water._