Which song belongs on a different album?

Weatherman

Recently, it occurred to me that some Rush songs are simply misplaced.

They're on the wrong albums.

Here's my short list:

1) "Lock and Key" (a personal favorite) would've fit perfectly on Presto.

It's simple, strong, traditionally melodic songwriting, like most of that album.

2) "Show Don't Tell" belongs on Moving Pictures.

It's the closest they ever came to recreating Tom Sawyer + YYZ.

3) "The Camera Eye" belongs on Permanent Waves.

It's pop prog at its best.

Any others?

I genuinely disagree with your choices, but I guess that's what this topic is about (for the most part). Music is subjective, no doubt about that. :D

Here's my thoughts:

Best I Can ----> Rush

Open Secrets ----> Power Windows

The Speed Of Love ----> Roll The Bones

• Like 2

I genuinely disagree with your choices, but I guess that's what this topic is about (for the most part). Music is subjective, no doubt about that. :D

Here's my thoughts:

Best I Can ----> Rush

I agree with your ideas on Best I Can and Open Secrets. A few of the songs off PoW and HYF can be switched imho as those two are the most similar sounding Rush albums.

As for Speed of Love, I’d put it on Garbagedaysatmcondoaremondays&thursdays :P

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Here's my thoughts:

Best I Can ----> Rush

Best I Can is totally a leftover from the debut, I agree. Although lyrically it's just a touch more refined than Geddy's songs for the debut.

Open Secrets I think fits better on HYF since it's more of a song about relationships and emotions, and HYF has relationships and emotions as a bigger theme than PoW, which is more about money, power, and politics. Sonically the two are very close to each other though and one could make a convincing argument for most any song off either one to fit better on the other. The Speed Of Love totally fits better on RTB if that means I can just lump all the songs I don't really like onto RTB so I don't have to put up with them other wise, lol.

This is an interesting thread, as there are some clear examples of songs which were either one step ahead or one step behind of the rest of their respective albums. Like Vital Signs seems to go so far into Police territory that it might have fit better on Signals or even GuP. And Red Lenses seems to be a definite precursor to the bright, lightly funky, almost comically poppy sounds of PoW and HYF. I thin for the most part each album sticks to its own wheelhouse of character (like I couldn't imagine Xanadu on either 2112 or Hemispheres), but one or two songs from each album tend to go a little extra far in calling back to an older album or looking forward to one that's yet to come.

Oh, and Headlong Flight belongs on Caress Of Steel ;)

• Like 1

The Speed Of Love totally fits better on RTB if that means I can just lump all the songs I don't really like onto RTB so I don't have to put up with them other wise, lol.

Okay....

the RTB-alternateskip version:

1 RTB

2 Face Up

3 The Big Wheel

4 Ghost of a Chance

5 Neurotica

6 You Bet Your Life

7 Nobody’s Hero

8 Speed of Love

9 Everyday Glory

...And then the Counterparts-don’tskipanytracks version:

1 Animate

2 Stick It Out

3 Cut to the Chase

4 Between Sun & Moon

5 Alien Shore

6 Double Agent

7 LTTA

8 Cold Fire

9 Dreamline

10 Bravado

11 Where’s My Thing

12 Heresy

:hail:

Oh, of those 9 tunes on the RTB alternate versions, I dislike 4 while the other 5 are so-so skippables which probably have at least some good qualities about them. Example: The solo in Ghost of a Chance I enjoy but the rest of the song is skippable.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Red Tide probably wouldn't seem out of place on Grace Under Pressure. It would likely sound a lot better on that album too.

Red Lenses might seem right at home alongside some of the other goofy, lightweight "experiments" on Presto.

• Like 1

Interesting thread. There are always tracks on albums that are a little out of place (makes the experience all the more interesting) although a few of the suggestions above made me think.

- I can certainly see the argument for Best I Can back to Rush although in my opinion it's too good a song to be there!

- Vital Signs is definitely a candidate for moving forward to Signals or even further.

Red Tide probably wouldn't seem out of place on Grace Under Pressure. It would likely sound a lot better on that album too.

Red Lenses might seem right at home alongside some of the other goofy, lightweight "experiments" on Presto.

Agreed. :yes:
  • Like 1

I always thought Everyday Glory sounded like a leftover from RTB only recorded with beefier guitar & bass. I like the song well but its out of place lyrically on Counterparts. It's also noticeably louder than the other CP songs, I don't think I've ever not immediately reached to turn the volume down a couple notches whenever I have that CD playing in the car
  • Like 1

I always thought Everyday Glory sounded like a leftover from RTB only recorded with beefier guitar & bass. I like the song well but its out of place lyrically on Counterparts. It's also noticeably louder than the other CP songs, I don't think I've ever not immediately reached to turn the volume down a couple notches whenever I have that CD playing in the car

Weird that it was mixed analog instead of digital like the rest of the tracks.
  • Like 1

Red Lenses would fit on Test For Echo. Consolidate the trash.

Vital Signs has always stuck out for me on Moving Pictures. I think it would fit nicely on Grace Under Pressure and, in fact, it works perfectly on the GUP live album (actually prefer that version to the studio version).

I think some Power Windows and HYF tracks could be swapped without being too noticeable but I wouldn't say any sound out of place on their respective albums.

• Like 1

Vital Signs has always stuck out for me on Moving Pictures. I think it would fit nicely on Grace Under Pressure and, in fact, it works perfectly on the GUP live album (actually prefer that version to the studio version).

I think some Power Windows and HYF tracks could be swapped without being too noticeable but I wouldn't say any sound out of place on their respective albums.

I remember reading Ged saying that they wrote Vital Signs goofing around and pretending to be a New Wave band. They even gave themselves a name, which escapes me.

Closer To The Heart didn't belong on A Farewell To Kings.

i didn’t expect to see this hot take, but i kinda agree. i don’t really know where it belongs, maybe, dare i say, Hemispheres?