Behind Closed Doors

stoopid

New song that seemed to take forever to finish. We're working on a new album, 2 songs completed and 2 in early stages of development. Probably looking at another 3 years-to-completion timeline. lol

Anyway, this is about our current state of affairs. I thought it better to share now while it's relevant than 2 years from now when it's likely the album will be done.

https://theboogeymen.bandcamp.com/

I want to thank JARG and Jeremy for offering to add guitars and bass early on in the process. Although their contributions didn't end up on the final track it did help to shape the direction I ended up taking.

• Like 3

New song that seemed to take forever to finish. We're working on a new album, 2 songs completed and 2 in early stages of development. Probably looking at another 3 years-to-completion timeline. lol

Anyway, this is about our current state of affairs. I thought it better to share now while it's relevant than 2 years from now when it's likely the album will be done.

https://theboogeymen.bandcamp.com/

I want to thank JARG and Jeremy for offering to add guitars and bass early on in the process. Although their contributions didn't end up on the final track it did help to shape the direction I ended up taking.

Interesting to hear the final product. Yeah, the attempts I made for the solo section were clearly not in the right direction. I didn't realize you were looking for a repeating musical theme!

I didn't realize you were looking for a repeating musical theme!

The crux was figuring out how to link the middle and end sections, while also allowing them to be independent pieces of music. Using the lead guitars as I did in the middle section to mirror the vocal parts used in the final section (which were written first) ended up being the 'easiest' way to accomplish this. I'm sure as a jam or something where the songwriter (Scott) didn't have a stronger sense of intent that wasn't even fully communicated with me, what you guys did would have been a fun way to proceed.

Figure I'll post the songs as they're completed in this thread for anyone interested...

Her Again (completed July 2020): https://www.dropbox.com/s/oun7i4mttz343wt/The%20Boogeymen%20-%20Her%20Again.mp3?dl=0

Goodbye (completed March 2021): https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3tlxxk44be2c3w/The%20Boogeymen%20-%20Goodbye.mp3?dl=0

Nice job on the new material! I particularly liked "Goodbye". I dig those kinds of songs where you have this sort of repeating pulse that becomes almost like a hypnotic mantra that the vocal plays off of. I think this may be my favorite track of yours that I've heard.
  • Like 1

Nice job on the new material! I particularly liked "Goodbye". I dig those kinds of songs where you have this sort of repeating pulse that becomes almost like a hypnotic mantra that the vocal plays off of. I think this may be my favorite track of yours that I've heard.

I shared your feedback (praise) with Scott, who played a huge role in writing/producing Goodbye. I consider it "high praise" from such an adept musician.

• Like 1

Near completion of our 4th new track, Gotta Go. Track #5 isn't far behind, then it will be a bit until #6 which is still in its infancy is developed. Past that nothing formal has been started, but Scott is an endless source of ideas.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nt5q1ekwquwcv3e/The%20Boogeymen%20-%20Gotta%20Go.mp3?dl=0

• Like 2

Near completion of our 4th new track, Gotta Go. Track #5 isn't far behind, then it will be a bit until #6 which is still in its infancy is developed. Past that nothing formal has been started, but Scott is an endless source of ideas.

https://www.dropbox....tta Go.mp3?dl=0

Lots of goodness in this one, great production as always....the only very minor nit I can find is that during the verses, the drums sound a little "tight"...they're in time but there's a touch of abruptness about them..this may be the efeect you are going for however, so just personal preference.

• Like 1

Track 5, "Endless Days" came out really well.

really nice medium to low gain crunch on the guitars....in places I feel the vocals don't cut quite as much through as before, really nice balance with drums. Synths are tastefully done in just the right places....Overall a really good track, kind of a late period new wave feel to it.

• Like 1

https://www.dropbox....tta Go.mp3?dl=0

Lots of goodness in this one, great production as always....the only very minor nit I can find is that during the verses, the drums sound a little "tight"...they're in time but there's a touch of abruptness about them..this may be the efeect you are going for however, so just personal preference.

This was a creative sampling of canned drums, so live drummer recorded to midi. Our song revolved around the verse drum part as the bed track, so it should flow. Interesting your ears hear otherwise. It might be that the drummer is playing emotively, some of their hits harder/softer than others. I compress to compensate and even that sort of thing out, but it can't pull up the lightest hits. It could also be that I overdid things in the other direction, too. Pulling things too far forward can also lead to fatigue. Interesting observation, maybe I need to start sending you my mixes to preview. lol

Edited by stoopid

Track 5, "Endless Days" came out really well.

really nice medium to low gain crunch on the guitars....in places I feel the vocals don't cut quite as much through as before, really nice balance with drums. Synths are tastefully done in just the right places....Overall a really good track, kind of a late period new wave feel to it.

Thanks for the input, the song is 'done' but we're at the mix/mastering tweaking stage. On my studio headphones I hear some other things last night, so will be taking this into consideration for the next mix. :)

Couple more songs have reached completion, each different (of course) from the other new songs posted here.  Each song is a unique experience, in what's become our patented "alienate the listener on 90% of our material" way.  lol

Yes, You

Dice  [this is a reinterpretation of one of my prior songs "Adulthood from 2013]

On 3/31/2023 at 9:29 AM, Prime Mover and Shaker said:

It frustrates me that our work filters keep me from checking out this stuff.  Later....   :P

It will all be (hopefully a pleasant) surprise when the next album is finally done (we're 99% likely done sometime this summer/early Fall).

Note that I am removing all the dropbox files soon, so if you want free MP3s of the songs now is the time to download them.  Or ask me for a free zip of the new album by PM.  :cool: