I think I'm supposed to introduce myself, so...

Flavia2112

Hi, everybody, I'm Flavia. (That's not my real name.) I'm a relatively ignorant, or some might say unenlightened, Rush fan. (Meaning, I've only heard 2112, Moving Pictures, and Signals.) Nobody call me a poser, please, because being a fan of something does not mean knowing everything about that thing.

I'm not sure what else to put in here...oh, I got into Rush at the WORST TIME POSSIBLE...beginning of 2020...crappy timing. Yeah.

Feel free to roll your eyes at my ignorance, but I would like to know what a shrimp cot is (Google was unhelpful with this) and what soup has to do with Rush. Thank you.

Edit: Oh, also, this may just be a reference to a lyric I don't yet know, but what is the significance of the word "territory?" (I've really gotta stop reading the "You know you're a Rush fan when" thread.)

Edited by Flavia2112
  • Like 5

Hi, everybody, I'm Flavia. (That's not my real name.) I'm a relatively ignorant, or some might say unenlightened, Rush fan. (Meaning, I've only heard 2112, Moving Pictures, and Signals.) Nobody call me a poser, please, because being a fan of something does not mean knowing everything about that thing.

I'm not sure what else to put in here...oh, I got into Rush at the WORST TIME POSSIBLE...beginning of 2020...crappy timing. Yeah.

Feel free to roll your eyes at my ignorance, but I would like to know what a shrimp cot is (Google was unhelpful with this) and what soup has to do with Rush. Thank you.

Edit: Oh, also, this may just be a reference to a lyric I don't yet know, but what is the significance of the word "territory?" (I've really gotta stop reading the "You know you're a Rush fan when" thread.)

Hi there Flavia and welcome to the forum.

I am a pretty new member here myself but they are a friendly bunch!

The three albums you mentioned are a pretty good starting point!!! I would recommend A Farewell To Kings and Permanent Waves as suggested next listening (although there are lots of albums to choose from!)

Regarding territory there is a track called 'Territories' on the Power Window album. Neil Peart's lyrics allude to China and it's impact on the world (pretty relevant today don't you think?) and the word is taken from the geographical area known as 'the new territories' which is a region of Hong Kong.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

Hi, Flavia. I'll welcome you here, too. There are some really good, and friendly people here. I've been here for nearly, and close to two years. I'm not calling you a poser, and rolling my eyes. At becoming a new Rush fan, there is nothing wrong to become one anytime. It's been unfortunate at what happened to Neil Peart earlier this year. For listening to other albums, vinyls, and c.ds of theirs, there is "Hemispheres", "Rush", "Fly By Night", "Caress of Steel", and there are other great ones to choose from. From Power Windows, there is a song called "Territories", which comments on nationalism around the world. Try to enjoy your time here. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 4

I would like to know what a shrimp cot is and what soup has to do with Rush.

If you watch the Rush In Rio DVD, you can enjoy the tour documentary, "The Boys In Brazil". It features Alex and Geddy talking about all the soups they had for lunch. Hilarious stuff....especially when Alex gets some shrimp caught between his teeth.... :P

• Like 3

Hey, Flavia! Welcome to TRF! :cheers:

There’s no such thing as “worst time possible to get into Rush”. NOT getting into them at all would be the worst.

As for shrimp cots and soup, that’s just dorky, nonsensical Rush humor. Their usual. :LOL:

To me, these two video clips sum up Rush pretty well...

The Spirit of Radio

http://youtu.be/g_QtO0Rhp0w

In-studio interview during Permanent Waves.

You’ll see their seriousness about music and their down-to-earth, thoughtful, and humorous personalities

http://youtu.be/U5HiEOSJmuI

• Like 7

Hi Flavia :hi: I didn`t get into Rush until 2018. I think it`s wonderful to find a band with a glorious and substantial back catalog to get into at your pace. None of that pesky waiting for years between albums! I love Permanent Waves most, so you`re very fortunate to still have that treat in store.
  • Like 5

Salve Flavia!

Everybody's new at some point, and time being what it is, all points are equally good to start! Glad to have you hear/here.

Just remember, Grace Under Pressure is an underappreciated masterpiece.

• Like 3

hey there flavia and welcome. I'm dickish but sometimes I'm funny, so they put up with me. As long as you agree with everything I say we'll get along fine.
  • Like 3

If you're ignorant, you'll fit right in.

Welcome, Flavia!

No one knew less about Rush than I did when I first came here. The members were very kind to me.

They still are.

Watch the documentary with the Rush In Rio dvd. It's very funny, and you will learn a lot.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

Hi Flavia....Good choice to join..we are all family here ! ♪♪♪♪

Sorry! Couldn't resist!

• Like 1

If you're ignorant, you'll fit right in.

Welcome, Flavia!

No one knew less about Rush than I did when I first came here. The members were very kind to me.

They still are.

Watch the documentary with the Rush In Rio dvd. It's very funny, and you will learn a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaxfFZWPT8E

This one!

So, some background, just in case... After a series of tragedies in drummer Neil Peart's life, it looked like the band may have been done. After some healing, Neil and the band came back to create the album Vapor Trails. The band travelled to Brazil as part of the tour, and this documentary captures the incredible welcome they received.

Enjoy!

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Welcome Flavia2112, I love your username :)

Those three albums are all so great, I like your taste in Rush albums!

It took you a couple months to say "hello", I felt the same. I am also a new forum member.

I don't think it matters when somebody joins, I feel these forums are going to go on for a looooong time. A testament to the lovely guys we call Rush.

There are tonnes of little obscure references, jokes, "inside info", historical anecdotes and such you will read about. Don't feel you have to catch up, it's exhausting! Find the bits you like, look into them further, enjoy :)

Curious, if you wanted to explore other albums, how do you decide? More upbeat and "radio tunes" like, or perhaps the days of old "rock opera" like stuff?

I like a few songs from literally every album, but I am weird that way.

I would like to suggest, please, that all their music, all the different styles and sounds of their albums - they are historically loved for their live performances. Youtube has a lot of them and even if you don't like all of it you will see a pattern: they excelled at perfecting the live sound. You probably already knew that - but in case you are just starting to read about their nerdiness, they really did do a sound check for every show - even if they played the same venue twice!

Edit: Oh, and goose's banana dancing above? It keeps dancing. Like a tree falling in the forest if nobody is listening type thing. It just keeps dancing. So that is comforting.

Edited by Bahamas
  • Like 3

Oh girl, this community isn't the type to call people posers or judge.

Welcome! & Yes Rush humor can be a bit odd. The Rush band fandom has all kinds in it.

Thank you, I know of some rather annoying, overobsessive fans and I wasn't sure if there were any people like that on this forum. And sometimes I get annoyed at myself for not getting half the references in these threads.

(Also I was really tired when I posted that UGH WHY WAS I BEING SO SELF-DEPRECATING)

Hi, Flavia. I'll welcome you here, too. There are some really good, and friendly people here. I've been here for nearly, and close to two years. I'm not calling you a poser, and rolling my eyes. At becoming a new Rush fan, there is nothing wrong to become one anytime. It's been unfortunate at what happened to Neil Peart earlier this year. For listening to other albums, vinyls, and c.ds of theirs, there is "Hemispheres", "Rush", "Fly By Night", "Caress of Steel", and there are other great ones to choose from. From Power Windows, there is a song called "Territories", which comments on nationalism around the world. Try to enjoy your time here.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. And, yes, the actual worst time possible to get into Rush would be never at all. What I meant is that I hate that I got into them right after what happened. :(

I get the territory thing now! Thanks!

• Like 2

Still curious - when and if you explore more Rush albums and/or songs, what do you gravitate toward?

An album with ten or so "singles" for radio-play friendly formats and the sonics and sounds they produced like most of the middle albums, or "rock anthem" stuff like the earlier albums and last album?

(Please don't feel picked on, I just see the perfect chance to ask about something I have been thinking about, and long term members can some times brush these discussions aside, "yeah, that was years ago")...

My wife (26 years) has been extremely patient with me over the last couple of years: I always played Rush on my own time at home with the main stereo, or with head phones, during the day in the car by myself, at my desk top computer with smaller speakers, hiking or cycling.

I started playing it in the evening on the main stereo after R40, going down to Toronto and going to the concert with my brother, and more so after this year's news of tragedy. A couple songs here and there. Asking if it was Ok if I played a side of...this or that. Always positive, always supportive - "sure, go ahead, I like it".

And it went on for quite a while. She even asked for songs by name and asked for them to be played. I felt like the luckiest fan in the world.

Then I considered the whole "listening fatigue" thing and played less, but darn if I wasn't going to include some Rush music in the evening. I tried to see if from the other side.

But alas, from the other side...it's ALOT of Rush.

The other day I said "you know that song where the chorus is about "all those wasted years, all those wasted precious years" or the like, and she knew it.

I said it's not about love lost and relationships gone past (like Neil might lament about), but rather about politics and the Cold War and communism, etc. (loosely), and she paused.

"Really?"

We sat at the table and read the lyrics while the song played. Let's be generic, it doesn't really matter what song, here.

"I really don't read the lyrics enough", she said.

So, before supper tonight, after a cocktail, I suggest we listen to a Presto song and read the lyrics, together.

I saw the glazed look in her eyes, the "If I have to..." look. I quickly defused the situation and deferred to radio.

"You have pushed me beyond my ability", she said. I honestly said "I wondered when you would say that. Thank you, it is hard to know when is enough, but you were so keen!".

"I bet I am the most tolerant wife of any Rush fan there is!", she joked. I might have said " tolerant partner", but a good Last Word shaker is hard to ignore. And, no, there are plenty of partners who have heard the "noise".

"I like it!", she said. "But I just don't get into them that much".

She was an Usher at Maple Leaf Gardens, where Rush played many New Years Eve concerts, often. And later in life, married to me, she came to appreciate them differently.

But there was a limit.

So I am curious, what Rush stuff are you further interested in?

• Like 1

Still curious - when and if you explore more Rush albums and/or songs, what do you gravitate toward?

An album with ten or so "singles" for radio-play friendly formats and the sonics and sounds they produced like most of the middle albums, or "rock anthem" stuff like the earlier albums and last album?

(Please don't feel picked on, I just see the perfect chance to ask about something I have been thinking about, and long term members can some times brush these discussions aside, "yeah, that was years ago")...

My wife (26 years) has been extremely patient with me over the last couple of years: I always played Rush on my own time at home with the main stereo, or with head phones, during the day in the car by myself, at my desk top computer with smaller speakers, hiking or cycling.

I started playing it in the evening on the main stereo after R40, going down to Toronto and going to the concert with my brother, and more so after this year's news of tragedy. A couple songs here and there. Asking if it was Ok if I played a side of...this or that. Always positive, always supportive - "sure, go ahead, I like it".

And it went on for quite a while. She even asked for songs by name and asked for them to be played. I felt like the luckiest fan in the world.

Then I considered the whole "listening fatigue" thing and played less, but darn if I wasn't going to include some Rush music in the evening. I tried to see if from the other side.

But alas, from the other side...it's ALOT of Rush.

The other day I said "you know that song where the chorus is about "all those wasted years, all those wasted precious years" or the like, and she knew it.

I said it's not about love lost and relationships gone past (like Neil might lament about), but rather about politics and the Cold War and communism, etc. (loosely), and she paused.

"Really?"

We sat at the table and read the lyrics while the song played. Let's be generic, it doesn't really matter what song, here.

"I really don't read the lyrics enough", she said.

So, before supper tonight, after a cocktail, I suggest we listen to a Presto song and read the lyrics, together.

I saw the glazed look in her eyes, the "If I have to..." look. I quickly defused the situation and deferred to radio.

"You have pushed me beyond my ability", she said. I honestly said "I wondered when you would say that. Thank you, it is hard to know when is enough, but you were so keen!".

"I bet I am the most tolerant wife of any Rush fan there is!", she joked. I might have said " tolerant partner", but a good Last Word shaker is hard to ignore. And, no, there are plenty of partners who have heard the "noise".

"I like it!", she said. "But I just don't get into them that much".

She was an Usher at Maple Leaf Gardens, where Rush played many New Years Eve concerts, often. And later in life, married to me, she came to appreciate them differently.

But there was a limit.

So I am curious, what Rush stuff are you further interested in?

I'm not exactly sure! The only reason I've heard Moving Pictures, 2112, and Signals instead of any other three Rush albums is that I had them already when I started really getting into Rush. I've heard that Fly By Night is really good, so I'll probably listen to that sometime soon, and I'm also curious about Caress of Steel. Also, there's just a bunch of random songs that I've heard about from reading old stuff on this forum (Freewill, The Trees, and Counterparts, among others), and I want to listen to those. (I've really got to stop reading old posts on the forum because then I'm liable to make references to songs I haven't actually heard, and that never ends well.)

Salve Flavia!

Everybody's new at some point, and time being what it is, all points are equally good to start! Glad to have you hear/here.

Just remember, Grace Under Pressure is an underappreciated masterpiece.

Thanks!

Yes, as JohnnyBlaze put it, the worst time to get into Rush would be not at all. What I meant is that I hate having gotten into them LITERALLY RIGHT AFTER WHAT HAPPENED TO NEIL! :(

Thank you for the reminder.

(oh by the way this post took me like fifteen minutes to write because I kept being distracted by my profile picture... :wub: )

Edited by Flavia2112
  • Like 1

I read old forum posts often, it helps to immerse myself into the forum culture. Your profile picture, well we all have our distractions - mine is choosing a name based on a personal experience.

I really did think about a name for a while before choosing. Then over time it feels too personal and every time I see it, I think really? You chose that? Oh well.

Well, please check back in with what you are listening to.

I have heard people say "well Rush is OK but their music sounds the same". (A victim response to mediocre and lack of choices in Radio play). It makes me wiggle in my wellies. So far from the truth - if one takes time to listen.

The themes behind the albums, the evolution from grungy prog to synth and back to heavy. Their choices of added instrumentation, and of course Neil's themes and Alex and Geddy compiling sounds - the back and forth developments of songs, changing producers - but always the same hard working, true examples of stand up human beings.

Just one example of how awesome I think they are: A young fellow learns violin because of a Rush song he heard in 1982. Then the last tour, 2015, features a string ensemble and the same dude is playing live on stage...to the same song!

Always check out Youtube and Neil's books for more details :)

• Like 1

I read old forum posts often, it helps to immerse myself into the forum culture. Your profile picture, well we all have our distractions - mine is choosing a name based on a personal experience.

I really did think about a name for a while before choosing. Then over time it feels too personal and every time I see it, I think really? You chose that? Oh well.

Well, please check back in with what you are listening to.

I have heard people say "well Rush is OK but their music sounds the same". (A victim response to mediocre and lack of choices in Radio play). It makes me wiggle in my wellies. So far from the truth - if one takes time to listen.

The themes behind the albums, the evolution from grungy prog to synth and back to heavy. Their choices of added instrumentation, and of course Neil's themes and Alex and Geddy compiling sounds - the back and forth developments of songs, changing producers - but always the same hard working, true examples of stand up human beings.

Just one example of how awesome I think they are: A young fellow learns violin because of a Rush song he heard in 1982. Then the last tour, 2015, features a string ensemble and the same dude is playing live on stage...to the same song!

Always check out Youtube and Neil's books for more details :)

Yeah, my username's kind of personal too. If the other person who knows the inside joke knew that I'd used it on an online forum, they might not be happy.

I'm so annoyed right now. Not at you. I was going to get a ton of Rush albums and some of Neil's books, but, long story, we had to take an emergency vacation and so I couldn't. And, other long story, I can't use YouTube. But I'm trying.

That violin thing! Wow!

Definitely look into Jonathon Dinklage, the violin bit. Even a google hit might get you some good footage. The song Losing It.

If you have a Kindle, or such, Neil's books are pretty much everywhere now. So much detail about local history, and thousands of miles of travel.

And getting more albums, don't sweat it, friend. I don't think they are going anywhere for a long, long time :)

• Like 1