Do Nickelback deserve to be the most hated popular rock band of all time?

Texas King

I never understood the criticism for Nickelback (or Creed)...

...I confess, I don't know their music that well.

However I do know that they write their own songs and play their own music.

So I can shown them no disrespect.

Rock on Nickelback...record, tour and make your fans happy!

Creed is not as bad as people say. i revisited them and i quite like My Own Prison.

Mick

I can tolerate Higher.

Trapt is more hated now because of the broflake lead vocalist. It's showing with those 600 copies sold. Pathetic he's still deflecting with the same old Pandora streaming gaslighting crap. :laughing yellow guy:

Not a fan. The level of hatred toward them is probably unwarranted to a degree, but then name me 5 worse popular rock bands.

In a rare moment I’m going to be serious. No, they don’t deserve all the hate. Clearly when your music sells at numbers they’re pushing someone likes it. AFAIK the guys in the band aren’t assholes. If I’m wrong please correct me. There are too many talentless jerkoffs out there for the ‘back to be the most hated band*.

*Guy who refers to Nickleback as “the ‘back”, jerk or no jerk?

Imagine Dragons doesn't even have that. Honest question here, do they even have a guitar player in the band? I can't recall hearing much of anything that represents they have someone in that role.

Though I'm crazy about their music, they seem pretty cool to me. Here they are surprising a classroom teacher, who is a big fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZarODPrhLKQ

I see a guitar. :)

I like Night Visions but the rest are meh to dreck for me...

and if I hear "Believer" again... jeez I don't know what I'm gonna do

• Like 1

Imagine Dragons doesn't even have that. Honest question here, do they even have a guitar player in the band? I can't recall hearing much of anything that represents they have someone in that role.

Though I'm crazy about their music, they seem pretty cool to me. Here they are surprising a classroom teacher, who is a big fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZarODPrhLKQ

I see a guitar. :)

I like Night Visions but the rest are meh to dreck for me...

and if I hear "Believer" again... jeez I don't know what I'm gonna do

These guys remind me of a hardware store ............ a bunch of tools!

To me they sound extremely derivative, almost like they're trying to be a combination of Nirvana and Metallica.

Regardless, I will mention my ex drug me a Puddle of Mudd opening for Nickelback concert and I must say it may be the most bored I've ever been at a live concert along with when my present wife drug me to a Toby Keith concert....and I don't hate country. At least at the Toby Keith show, the story of how he came to write the song about smoking Willie Nelson's weed was fun and amusing. I had no moments like that at the Nback/Mudd show.

To me they sound extremely derivative, almost like they're trying to be a combination of Nirvana and Metallica.

Regardless, I will mention my ex drug me a Puddle of Mudd opening for Nickelback concert and I must say it may be the most bored I've ever been at a live concert along with when my present wife drug me to a Toby Keith concert....and I don't hate country. At least at the Toby Keith show, the story of how he came to write the song about smoking Willie Nelson's weed was fun and amusing. I had no moments like that at the Nback/Mudd show.

To be honest, I would need to Google those two bands' songs to know which is which.

Does Maroon 5 count?

No because they're not rock.

They're what Radio Disney millennials believe is "rock." They want everything safe sounding. Same for Imagine Dragons, Chainsmokers, Fallout Boy, etc.. To quote Eddie Vedder, rock is "not for you."

No, Imagine Dragons and Fall Out Boy aren't perceived as rock as much as alternative (which has for better or worse become something entirely different) by younger music fans like myself. I think most young people understand rock to be something more popular when their parents were young and having something to do with AC/DC or Queen. So classic rock essentially. Maroon 5 actually don't even carry the alternative label around anymore, they're just a pop band. Imagine Dragons are headed the same direction. And I don't know where you heard people think of The Chainsmokers as rock. They're pop/edm straight through.

Of course that's just my perspective on young people's perspectives as a current college student.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

To be honest, I would need to Google those two bands' songs to know which is which.

And is that not at least kind of the definition of derivative?

I never understood the criticism for Nickelback (or Creed)...

...I confess, I don't know their music that well.

However I do know that they write their own songs and play their own music.

So I can shown them no disrespect.

Rock on Nickelback...record, tour and make your fans happy!

I agree. I'm not a fan myself, but I don't pick up anything from what I've heard of them that would justify hating them. They're sort of like Puddle of Mudd or any number of nondescript bands from the 90s with that same "Seattle-ish" vibe.

Yup. Or disturbed. Or hooba stank? Nickel back has sold something like 60 million albums, so they did something right. And their drummer is quite good.. and a big Neil fan.

https://youtu.be/LqQENo8FwPM

Regardless, I will mention my ex drug me a Puddle of Mudd opening for Nickelback concert

Goodness. As if having to see just one of those abominable bands wouldn't be bad enough.

They're best left un-Googled.

• Like 1

Sure, in the same way that bands like Warrant or Winger were derivative in the 80s. Or 98 Degrees and Willa Ford were derivative in the late 90s. Something breaks and the music industry runs over itself to sign more of "them." Or, at least, it used to when there was a music industry.

Sure, in the same way that bands like Warrant or Winger were derivative in the 80s. Or 98 Degrees and Willa Ford were derivative in the late 90s. Something breaks and the music industry runs over itself to sign more of "them." Or, at least, it used to when there was a music industry.

Yep. I mean I really like Stone Temple Pilots, but no doubt their first album in particular sounds like Pearl Jam who at times anyway sound like Led Zep who at times commandeered blues songs as their own and so on and so forth............

I definitely like Nickelback way more than Imagine Dragons. Nickelback can write a tune that appeals to the masses. Imagine Dragons?? I can't imagine why they are so popular.

I definitely like Nickelback way more than Imagine Dragons. Nickelback can write a tune that appeals to the masses. Imagine Dragons?? I can't imagine why they are so popular.

I;m guessing maybe it's because they can write tunes that appeal the masses?
  • Like 1

I;m guessing maybe it's because they can write tunes that appeal the masses?

Such as crappy "Believer"?