How do you feel about Geddy's singing on "Clockwork Angels"?

Texas King

How do you feel about Geddy's singing on "Clockwork Angels"?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Geddy's singing on "Clockwork Angels"?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Don't mind it, it's OK
    • Dislike it
    • Don't care for it

Hard to beat Geddy's great run from Power Windows through Counterparts.

Too bad most of the material in that era was unsalvagable.

As usual, you are wrong.

I agree.

There was a lot of good stuff in that time frame, and I don`t think any album beats Power Windows as a vocal performance from Geddy.

Clockwork Angels is in the same category as the debut: neither one really feels like Rush to me.

I don't know why Neil felt like a late-career pivot back to a 2112-ish sci-fi/fantasy concept album was a good idea, but it just doesn't do it for me. Lyrically, the album is hokey and forgettable. Musically, it's a scattershot mess of ideas, very few of which actually work. 2112 succeeded because of the naïveté and fury of youth, but CA sounds like a bunch of old guys getting nostalgic.

The lone exception to that is The Garden, which is a spectacular song far above the level of the others on the album. It's also a vocal highlight for Geddy.

• Like 1

I'd add MP through GUP to that sweet spot.

Goose, your suggestion wouldn’t raise the ire of LABT as well as my opinion did. He was probably frothing at the mouth as he typed his response, probably so angry that he couldn’t finish eating his Chicago style casserole.

Nah, your post just made me shake my head slowly and wonder why cigar smoke is seemingly as bad for the ears as it is for the tastebuds.

Edited by laughedatbytime

As usual, you are wrong.

I agree.

There was a lot of good stuff in that time frame, and I don`t think any album beats Power Windows as a vocal performance from Geddy.

Hold Your Fire is better.

He really developed his sense of melody. It's why I go back to that album.

He maintained it, more or less, thru the next three albums, by staying down in chest voice. It's my favorite Geddy vocal era.

I've never thought Geddy was a particularly good singer. As he has lost his range my opinion remains unchanged.

I'm a huge fan of the band (obviously) and play them more than any other band, but his singing has never been part of why.

I will say I think Clockwork is better overall than any album since Power Windows. So he did well enough.

I've never thought Geddy was a particularly good singer. As he has lost his range my opinion remains unchanged.

He was excellent in the late 80s and early 90s. Available Light is a tour de force, the chorus sends shivers down my spine.

• Like 1

I think generally his singing on the later albums was good...LIVE...thats another story. I loved going to see them live and still would if Neil was still around and into it, but I was ok with them retiring mostly because Geddys singing wasnt great. Weird because Geddy said he was really pushing to keep going and touring, but, didnt he or the others notice how cringey it could sound.

I think generally his singing on the later albums was good...LIVE...thats another story. I loved going to see them live and still would if Neil was still around and into it, but I was ok with them retiring mostly because Geddys singing wasnt great. Weird because Geddy said he was really pushing to keep going and touring, but, didnt he or the others notice how cringey it could sound.

Yeah, it's unfortunate because he's actually a much better vocalist now than he was when he was younger, except that he keeps trying to hit the same high notes. If he'd just sing in a lower register, he'd sound phenomenal.

I marked it as 'like it' ..... at his age i had no problems at all with the vocal performance.

5000+ shows and a musician's lifestyle didn't help, either. (The Who's Roger Daltrey said that he was allergic to pot smoke. I suspect Geddy never made a similar claim)

• Like 1