How do you feel about Geddy's singing on "Clockwork Angels"?

Texas King

How do you feel about Geddy's singing on "Clockwork Angels"?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Geddy's singing on "Clockwork Angels"?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Don't mind it, it's OK
    • Dislike it
    • Don't care for it

I loved the concept of the album and I think they timed it just right for Geddy's voice to really shine. Stand out tracks for me are Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Anarchist and Carnies. Then there is the Garden, lyrically beautiful (with Neil's nod to Candide) and a lovely swan song. The rest fit in the arc of the story but I don't play them as much. Edited by Rhyta

basing on his voice

Caravan - great

BU2B - great

Clockwork Angels - great

The Anarchist - great

Carnies - very good

Halo Effect - very good

Seven Cities Of Gold - ...

The Wreckers - great

Headlong Flight - great

BU2B2 - no

Wish Them Well - great

The Garden - *sniff*

• Like 1

Don't mind the singing, really. I think if the production was better and not sounding so compressed, or whatever it is, I think it could be better...

It would have sounded much better if it was done in Doubly.

• Like 2

Like a lot of RUSH stuff, it depends. Not even track by track, but moment to moment. Not a fan of either the late-career yodel or the Cygnus banshee wail.

I marked it as 'like it' ..... at his age i had no problems at all with the vocal performance.

Unless he starts drinking the 'milk of paradise' he ain't gonna hit those big notes again.

Like us all (well.... me anyway!!!) he is no spring chicken!! But as a final Rush studio album all three of the band could hold their heads high.

• Like 3

Hard to beat Geddy's great run from Power Windows through Counterparts.

Too bad most of the material in that era was unsalvagable.

• Like 2

I remember Nick R saying after Snakes and Arrows that he wanted to push the vocals further on the next record, and I think between him and Geddy they did a good job, with Clockwork Angels featuring some of his most challenging singing in years.

The only problem being it made it much more difficult to reproduce live, particularly on the final tour when those songs appeared right at the start of the shows.

• Like 2

As usual, you are wrong.

Go listen to CardiB

I'd add MP through GUP to that sweet spot.

Goose, your suggestion wouldn’t raise the ire of LABT as well as my opinion did. He was probably frothing at the mouth as he typed his response, probably so angry that he couldn’t finish eating his Chicago style casserole.

• Like 1

I'm not going to win any friends saying this but Geddy's vocals on CA are what turn me off from the album and make it unlistenable. He doesn't sound good plus that horrid compressed mix. I can't make out most of the lyrics. If someone could strip out the vocals and remix some of the harder songs into instrumentals I'd listen to it more often than what we have now

Love it. Especially live. I still remember how he held the high note in Headlong Flight spot on three separate times when my dad and I saw R40 in Chicago. Ged was always great at writing parts he could sing. The only trouble occurred when he had to figure out how to sing parts he wrote before his voice dropped.
  • Like 2