_hi_water._ rant: DVD/Blu-Ray

_hi_water._

F**k you streaming services, I want physical copies... or do I?

DVD and Blu-Ray are good in some respects - the quality, the bonus features, able to play it on your computer, etc... but I honestly feel like DVDs and Blu-Rays aren't always worth the price.

First, let's talk about the packaging. The security stickers... ugh, annoying. Even more annoying for CDs, but whatever...

Box sets are bulls**t... they really f**k them up most of the time, whether it's in random order or the terrible packaging.

What about those lock things? What's the point of them...? The cases close fine without them, just break 'em the f**k off. What next, are you gonna put them on a CD jewel case?

Also, run time. Why would I want to know run time? What if I want to go to bed early, or there's a doctors appointment? Most DVDs and Blu-Rays have them, but they are always in minutes. For example, "126 mins". Why can't it say 2hrs and 6mins? That's like me saying I'll see ya in 96 hours and not 4 days. Oh yeah, if it's a box set, the run time is total of all movies. Lost Season 5, 731 MINUTES... nice, this will come in handy if I am planning to have a marathon.

The worst thing about DVD and Blu-Ray is the excessive logos and ads. And for the most part, you can't even skip 'em, as you are prohibited. All I want to do is put in the disc and take me to the main menu and start my movie.

With VHS, the quality isn't as good, and you have to rewind after watching, sure... however there is nothing prohibiting you from fast forwarding. That's one thing that I miss quite a lot. Sure, the fast forward is a lil fuzzy at times, but isn't it better than the digital stuttering we have now?

With tapes, they gradually deteriorate the more you play them... worst case scenario is that they get caught up or eaten up in your VCR, but the best thing about VHS was that they always remember EXACTLY where you left off.

VHS damage just plays, even though the audio and picture gets bad... but when DVDs start skipping... UGHHH.

Once again, we are going forward in technology, but at the same time making things stupid.

I remember when CD's were emerging technology, there were all these fanfares about how durable they were, they wouldn't scratch, you could just wipe them clean blah blah blah .... what a crock!

Just like vinyl, you scratch them and they're toast! My CD's and DVDs now just look pretty on shelves in my den ...... I play everything digitally now.

The missus however still insists on buying DVD's .... donno why, we're running out of shelf room!!

I remember when CD's were emerging technology, there were all these fanfares about how durable they were, they wouldn't scratch, you could just wipe them clean blah blah blah .... what a crock!

Just like vinyl, you scratch them and they're toast! My CD's and DVDs now just look pretty on shelves in my den ...... I play everything digitally now.

The missus however still insists on buying DVD's .... donno why, we're running out of shelf room!!

Nice to see other streaming services offer ultra HD and master versions like Apple and Amazon. I don't feel like paying $19.99 a month for Tidal especially since they have no Metallica there. I've got Amazon Music for a year.

Qobuz is the best. If they had a yearly option instead of monthly, I'd be using that one. Tried it for a month not too long ago.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Nice to see other streaming services offer ultra HD and master versions like Apple and Amazon. I don't feel like paying $19.99 a month for Tidal especially since they have no Metallica there. I've got Amazon Music for a year.

Qobuz is the best. If they had a yearly option instead of monthly, I'd be using that one. Tried it for a month not too long ago.

I currently just use Spotify which is relatively inexpensive although not so good for higher sound quality streaming.