REO Speedwagon Hi InFidelity vs. Journey Escape

Entre_Perpetuo

Choose one  

18 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Hi InFidelity - REO Speedwagon
    • Escape - Journey

The midwest vs. the west coast 1980 vs. 1981. Which monster hit machine radio conquerer is superior?

For my money, Journey were usually better with Greg Rollie in the band. REO are firing on all cylinders here and it's been a long long time coming for them.

You should have seen from the look in my eyes, there was something missing...

• Like 2

You must be telepathic, Entre Perp - I was thinking of pitting Escape vs something like this. I just didn’t come up with one I was satisfied with. This matchup works well imho. They both have the nostalgia factor going on for me too.

And I’m with you in that Journey is best with Rollie and Perry. So although Escape isn’t my favorite Journey album, it’s still a highly enjoyable album.

• Like 1

You must be telepathic, Entre Perp - I was thinking of pitting Escape vs something like this. I just didn’t come up with one I was satisfied with. This matchup works well imho. They both have the nostalgia factor going on for me too.

And I’m with you in that Journey is best with Rollie and Perry. So although Escape isn’t my favorite Journey album, it’s still a highly enjoyable album.

That's really interesting because I was trying to think of what to pit Hi InFidelity against in the first place. It's like we worked together to create this poll! :)

• Like 1

That's really interesting because I was trying to think of what to pit Hi InFidelity against in the first place. It's like we worked together to create this poll! :)

And the best part is that I didn’t have to do anything! :LOL:

For real though, some of the opponents that crossed my mind were...

(1) The Police’s Ghost in the Machine from 1981...but I thought The Police would kick Journey’s ass in the poll too much. :LOL:

(2) U2’s War from 1983...but I just wasn’t satisfied with it for whatever reason.

(3) Styx’s 1981 release, Paradise Theatre....but Styx is slightly too cheesy for me. :LOL: Styx is nothing more than nostalgia for me now even though I do have to wade in cheesy waters to get there. :LOL:

So yeah, that REO album is a good matchup :LOL:

• Like 1

(1) The Police’s Ghost in the Machine from 1981...but I thought The Police would kick Journey’s ass in the poll too much. :LOL:

(2) U2’s War from 1983...but I just wasn’t satisfied with it for whatever reason.

(3) Styx’s 1981 release, Paradise Theatre....but Styx is slightly too cheesy for me. :LOL: Styx is nothing more than nostalgia for me now even though I do have to wade in cheesy waters to get there. :LOL:

Interesting! I wouldn't have thought of The Police or U2, but I suppose they're got roughly the same level of clout as Journey. Styx makes more sense to me, but yeah if you can't handle the broadway influence it's probably not going to sit well with you, lol.

I thought about Foreigner 4, something from Boston, and Paradise Theater, but I thought Escape seemed to have the most complimentary feel overall.

Journey... why does everyone dislike this band?

I guess “everyone” doesn’t include you, me, Entre Perp, and a bunch of other TRFers who’ve already stated enjoying Journey in countless other threads.

I was about to say something like that, lol. Journey catch a lot of flack for being very unapologetically commercial and for getting kind of soppy as they got into the 80s. However one has to remember this is a Rush forum, and Rush aren't exactly best known for being soppy or commercial, so it figures that many Rush fans might find Journey a bit difficult to digest. I'm actually more surprised at the number of folks on TRF who really love Journey and see through that stereotype that they're a "soft" band (to which I say, listen to Steve "Machine Gun" Smith's epic drum solo on Captured!).

• Like 1

Good poll! I like both albums and bought both on week of release. Whilst I enjoy pretty much everything on Hi Infidelity, my vote just goes to Escape for being a more 'rocky' album.

BTW, we have had the opportunity to see both bands live many times in both the UK and US and I must say REO always put on a great show. As for Journey, I just struggle with Arnel Pineda.

They toured the UK for the brief period of time Jeff Scott Soto was lead singer and we got to see them in Manchester in 2007. I thought he added a new dimension to the sound

but I guess he had too much ego for Neal 'I'm the boss and don't you forget it' Schon to handle!!

• Like 1

I've been a dedicated Rush fan, who has liked Journey, while Steve Perry, was the lead singer. I don't think I ever thought of Journey as commercial, soppy, and or sappy. I like REO Speedwagon. I haven't had anything against them. I listen to Journey more, than REO Speedwagon. As for liking other bands, and groups, people can with different ones that aren't similar to what they like, and aren't their favorite ones, too. People shouldn't have to stereotype, and from first listen to a certain band, and group, judge them. I decided to vote, and it is for Journey. Edited by Derek19

In the northwest, I recall it was High Infidelity and Moving Pictures slugging it out for biggest album. Both were all over the airwaves.

In the Journey-REO matchup, I'm going with REO.

• Like 2

Journey... why does everyone dislike this band?

Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' comes to mind.

Perry's whiney voice and too many sappy love songs was a big reason for hating Journey back in the day. It was chick music.