Sabbath/Van Halen: Ozzy, Dio, Roth, Hagar  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

• Black Sabbath w/Ozzy
    • Van Halen w/Roth
  2. 2. Who do you prefer?

• Black Sabbath w/Dio
    • Van Halen w/Hagar
  3. 3. Who would you give an overall A+ grade?

• Black Sabbath w/Ozzy
    • Black Sabbath w/Dio
    • Van Halen w/Roth
    • Van Halen w/Hagar
    • ((None))

Roth-era VH is tops the list for me, easily. Their catalog of albums is pretty much unmatchable in terms of the overall ability to keep me interesting beginning to end, over and over and over.

Heaven and Hell is light years ahead of anything Van Hagar didm and that alone gives Dio's Sabbath the nod in the second poll question.

The College Board sets the mark for an A+ at 97%, and the VH catalogue is the only set of material that meets that mark for me.

• Like 2

When David Lee Roth, and Sammy Hagar were the lead singers for Van Halen, I've liked, and enjoyed them. As solo artists, and musicians, I like Ozzy Osbourne, and Ronnie James Dio. For any type of grading, though, I haven't liked to do it. Edited by Derek19

Let's start with the negative stuff to get it out of the way.

I love Van Halen with Sammy. But it can't touch the first 6 albums.

There. Now, with that said, only the first 6 VH albums are flawless. I love both Ozzy Sabbath and Dio Sabbath, although my two favorite Sabbath albums are Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. Dehumanizer and The Devil You Know are a step below that, and not better than the first 6 Sabbath albums. Tech Ex and NSD! are still better than just about everything else that's out there, but they are not as good as the debut through Sabotage.

• Like 2

I love how people say Diver Down is the shortest Van Halen album and feels like an EP, but it's length is 31 minutes and 25 seconds.

And Fair Warning 31 minutes and 16 seconds.

Toodles

• Like 1

I love how people say Diver Down is the shortest Van Halen album and feels like an EP, but it's length is 31 minutes and 25 seconds.

Toodles

diver down is a major step down from fair warning

• Like 2

Toodles

yes but it's still a great record.... perfect one to spin in the summer
  • Like 2

Toodles

yes but it's still a great record.... perfect one to spin in the summer

DD is a great album. I wouldn't call the cover songs "fillers" because VH really added a new dimension to the songs.

As I've stated before Hangem' High is one of Eddie's finest moments.

• Like 2

none of the martin records are as bad as people say. vh3 is

musically Van Halen 3 is awesome... but someone like Dave or Sammy should've taken care of the album and not Gary

No way was Gary Cherone going to make his way into this poll.

I don’t really like Van Hagar but none of that is cringey, it’s just a VH phase I could never get into.

I'd put Balance on the cringy list. A huge step down from Carnal Knowledge.

I don’t really like Van Hagar but none of that is cringey, it’s just a VH phase I could never get into.

I’m not defending Balance because I don’t like it but wasn’t one of those songs nominated for a Grammy? Trying to remember but can’t. I probably only heard that album once, twice tops.

• Like 1

Why does everyone dislike Balance? I thought it had some very solid tunes on there. Seventh Seal, Don't Tell Me, Amsterdam (if you fix the lyrics), the instrumentals (except Strung Out), Aftershock, Take Me Back...

Black Sabbath are one of my all time favorite bands. As much as I love and admire RJD, I think that Sabbath's discography from 1970-1975 is god tier. Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die are both still pretty good.

I agree with a lot of what you say here '70-'75 produced amazing albums. Although I thought Technical Ecstasy & Never Say Die showed signs of a band who were starting to flag (hardly surprising considering the combination of legal issues and substance abuse going on with them!).

Heaven & Hell rebooted things. I thought RJD did a super job on it and it is in its own right a great album.

Yeah, you can absolutely hear how the band was losing their creative flow almost on TE and NSD, it just wasn't a good time for them all around. RJD definitely gave them the reboot that they needed.
  • Like 2

This is kinda like the BOC/Lizzy poll for me. I love Van Halen. But... Black Sabbath, you know.............

No losers on this list.

I’m not defending Balance because I don’t like it but wasn’t one of those songs nominated for a Grammy? Trying to remember but can’t. I probably only heard that album once, twice tops.

Seventh Seal, 1996, Best Hard Rock Performance.
  • Like 2