ORFIE PASSED AWAY... (for real)

Laurabw

I rather suspected it might fall to me to write the obituary, and sure enough. Not sure what minor edits the funeral home might make, but here it is as I wrote it. Thought you guys should be the first to see it.

Gary Wayne Morningstar, 62, of Saline, Michigan, passed away August 12, 2020 at his home from complications of diabetes and heart disease. Gary was born May 15, 1958 in Ypsilanti, Michigan, to the late Robert and Velda (Alexander) Morningstar. He was a 1976 graduate of Saline High School, where he was a proud member of the marching band. A lifelong Boy Scout, he attained the rank of Eagle Scout. Gary was retired from Ford Motor Company, where he worked for many years. He was a gifted drummer and had an unrivaled depth of knowledge about music, particularly his favorite band Rush. He is survived by daughter Krystal, son Michael, brother Ronald (Shirley), sister Carol (John) Raymond, nieces Wendy (Pat) Michels, Julayne (Keith) Hughes, Brenda Morningstar, and Gail (Terry) Kruger. He is also survived by many cousins, several great-nieces and -nephews, two cats, and many friends around the world. In addition to his parents, Gary was preceded in death by a brother, Robert Lee. The family will hold a private graveside ceremony. Gifts in Gary’s memory may be directed to the American Diabetes Association at diabetes.org. Please visit rbhfsaline.com to send condolences to the family or post memories you have of Gary.

Absolutely beautiful, such a lovely tribute. :heart:

• Like 5

Hard to know what to say. I haven't been here for several days. He seemed like such a nice guy. Back in the day when I was on Facebook we were friends. I'll miss him and his posts. RIP, brother in Rock.
  • Like 3

I rather suspected it might fall to me to write the obituary, and sure enough. Not sure what minor edits the funeral home might make, but here it is as I wrote it. Thought you guys should be the first to see it.

Gary Wayne Morningstar, 62, of Saline, Michigan, passed away August 12, 2020 at his home from complications of diabetes and heart disease. Gary was born May 15, 1958 in Ypsilanti, Michigan, to the late Robert and Velda (Alexander) Morningstar. He was a 1976 graduate of Saline High School, where he was a proud member of the marching band. A lifelong Boy Scout, he attained the rank of Eagle Scout. Gary was retired from Ford Motor Company, where he worked for many years. He was a gifted drummer and had an unrivaled depth of knowledge about music, particularly his favorite band Rush. He is survived by daughter Krystal, son Michael, brother Ronald (Shirley), sister Carol (John) Raymond, nieces Wendy (Pat) Michels, Julayne (Keith) Hughes, Brenda Morningstar, and Gail (Terry) Kruger. He is also survived by many cousins, several great-nieces and -nephews, two cats, and many friends around the world. In addition to his parents, Gary was preceded in death by a brother, Robert Lee. The family will hold a private graveside ceremony. Gifts in Gary’s memory may be directed to the American Diabetes Association at diabetes.org. Please visit rbhfsaline.com to send condolences to the family or post memories you have of Gary.

Jules, when I copy and paste your link, this is what I get:

Lactated Ringer's solution is commonly used as an IV treatment for dehydration or acid-base imbalances.

Sorry about that! My fault. What's stupid is that I tried to be very careful about that link because it stands for Robison-Bahnmiller Funeral Home. So where rbhf came from I have no clue.

So it should be www.rbfhsaline.com

• Like 3

This is so sad. He was always such a fun and positive guy to talk. I'll miss him, and his bananas.

RIP buddy :rose:

• Like 11

I find it hard to even think about him. Still having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that he's never coming back.

I know. There are times just thinking about him brings tears to my eyes... :(

• Like 4

I find it hard to even think about him. Still having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that he's never coming back.

Same here.

I think he knew there was something wrong with him for a while. He mustn't have felt well.

To be honest, I think he knew he was going to die.

• Like 1

Same here.

I think he knew there was something wrong with him for a while. He mustn't have felt well.

I didn't... it was such a shock.. :(

• Like 2

Same here.

His behavior changed suddenly. It wasn't like him to stay away from here like that.

I remember about eight or so months ago he said he was lonely and was on the lookout to meet someone. It was shortly after that he would start staying away from here for weeks. I remember it because I wrote him asking if he finally met someone.

Anyway, I do think he knew something serious was wrong with him. Look, it's easy to kid yourself when you know you might have a serious condition. No one likes to face difficult things. I'm someone that brushes things off too until I can no longer avoid the obvious. ORFie might have been like that too. When it comes to the heart and blood pressure though, it's not wise to do that. Many people (my father among them) have died from massive heart attacks. Almost two years ago I lost a good friend out here the same way. She was never sick and only went for her yearly checkup at the doctor. She was in her early 70s.

• Like 3

Same here.

His behavior changed suddenly. It wasn't like him to stay away from here like that.

I remember about eight or so months ago he said he was lonely and was on the lookout to meet someone. It was shortly after that he would start staying away from here for weeks. I remember it because I wrote him asking if he finally met someone.

Anyway, I do think he knew something serious was wrong with him. Look, it's easy to kid yourself when you know you might have a serious condition. No one likes to face difficult things. I'm someone that brushes things off too until I can no longer avoid the obvious. ORFie might have been like that too. When it comes to the heart and blood pressure though, it's not wise to do that. Many people (my father among them) have died from massive heart attacks. Almost two years ago I lost a good friend out here the same way. She was never sick and only went for her yearly checkup at the doctor. She was in her early 70s.

Ironically, I too noticed he'd be away for a few stretches at a time, but I put that down to him being busy; he'd post at odd times, saying: "It's alright, kitty, I'm here", and now I come to think about it, I remember him saying something about having to take his medication, but I never knew what for. I had no idea anything was wrong because he never opened up to me, particularly when we spoke via video chat those three times, and maybe he didn't want to worry me.

• Like 1

Same here.

Ironically, I too noticed he'd be away for a few stretches at a time, but I put that down to him being busy; he'd post at odd times, saying: "It's alright, kitty, I'm here", and now I come to think about it, I remember him saying something about having to take his medication, but I never knew what for. I had no idea anything was wrong because he never opened up to me, particularly when we spoke via video chat those three times, and maybe he didn't want to worry me.

I'm pretty sure he mentioned before on here that he was diabetic. That comes with many issues including an increase in heart disease, kidney function and circulation problems. He could have been suffering from diabetic issues which caused him to step away from time to time.

• Like 1

Same here.

A family member is a picture of health - works out constantly - great shape - looks great. He's 73. Looks 53.

Woke up last week feeling weird - dizzy and bad circulation.

Turns out he had 85% blockage in one of his arteries. THIS close. Docs cleared it and he is fine.

• Like 3