Before Eddie Van Halen there was

tangy

It's a good thing Edward never claimed to be its inventor, just its enthusiast for his time.

Literally no one invented anything, even if it's just in nuance. Something begets something else and a debt is always owed, no matter how original an idea seems.

Just like there is no new riff. Tony Iommi took and shaped most them - in the modern interpretive sense - and we just manipulate them from there. :D ;)

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 2

It's a good thing Edward never claimed to be its inventor, just its enthusiast for his time.

Literally no one invented anything, even if it's just in nuance. Something begets something else and a debt is always owed, no matter how original an idea seems.

Just like there is no new riff. Tony Iommi took and shaped most them - in the modern interpretive sense - and we just manipulate them from there. :D ;)

A quote I literally saw Rob Zombie speak on TV talking about people working in the metal genre:

"We're all basically just doing Sabbath. Some of us speed it up, some of us slow it down but it's all Sabbath. We're just lucky they don't sue us for plagiarism."

• Like 2

kind of sorry i put EVH in the title. also get the feeling few watched the original video. i guess i thought that folks who enjoy spanish fly would like the good doctors handiwork. remember he was a doctor, not a professional musician.

A quote I literally saw Rob Zombie speak on TV talking about people working in the metal genre:

"We're all basically just doing Sabbath. Some of us speed it up, some of us slow it down but it's all Sabbath. We're just lucky they don't sue us for plagiarism."

IMO the influence of sabbath is overstated.

i do agree about there being nothing new under the sun though. its all been done before and usually the one who monetizes it is remembered mistakenly as the innovator.

Before there was Eddie Van Halen there was darkness. And God said . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI7XiJgt0vY

a classic. have you seen derek sherinian play eruption on a piano? bad ass.

So after spanish fly what songs had a tapping solo? an extensive one. i dont know post 1984 material.

anyways with these refernces to the bible and steve hackett in this thread its funny that VH was called Genesis before learining that name was taken already.

IMO the influence of sabbath is overstated..........

Then we will agree to disagree as will Rob Zombie.

• Like 1

Before EVH there was....

no 80s hair band copycat guitarists....

diddlydiddlydiddlydiddly..wewewewewe...diddlydiddlydiddly...rinse and repeat.

Before DLR there was BOA!

as in black oak arkansas. i watched a doc and was amazed at the singer. as in he was dlr before dlr??? lol

• Like 1

IMO the influence of sabbath is overstated..........

Then we will agree to disagree as will Rob Zombie.

strictly in the metal genre he is for sure a heavy hitter. there were so many great bands and players back then though its hard for me say.

IMO and your mileage may vary! :cheers:

kind of sorry i put EVH in the title. also get the feeling few watched the original video. i guess i thought that folks who enjoy spanish fly would like the good doctors handiwork. remember he was a doctor, not a professional musician.

:LOL:

I am guessing a lot of us are familiar with the video and just used the thread for some good-natured fun. His playing is fun to watch.

• Like 1

:LOL:

I am guessing a lot of us are familiar with the video and just used the thread for some good-natured fun. His playing is fun to watch.

:cheers:

i saw it for the first time last week. guess i am late to the party. d'oh!