The Unexplained

JohnnyBlaze

The Unexplained  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones do you believe are real?

• ghosts / spirits
    • alien abduction
    • UFOs (specifically alien craft)
    • demons / possession
    • evil spots / places
    • Nessie
    • Bigfoot / Yeti
    • magic / curses / witchcraft
    • Bermuda Triangle phenomenon
    • supernatural powers
    • prophecies
    • hidden civilizations
    • vampires
    • werewolves & shapeshifters
    • ghost towns
    • mythical animals
    • angels
    • other dimensions
    • ESP
    • fortune telling
    • leprechauns / goblins / fairies
    • giants
    • dreams that come true / deja vu
    • urban legends
    • teleportation
    • mysterious objects
    • (I don’t believe any of these are real.)
  2. 2. Would you like to experience (perhaps again) any of the items listed in question 1?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

A number of years ago Karen and I spent a few days in Sedona, AZ, a supposed area of psychic activity. We were exploring parts of Boynton Canyon, out of sight of one another, when I had the feeling that something was observing or watching over me. Karen, who was a lot deeper into such things as I was, said she had no such manifestation in the canyon, but did not discount it happening in other areas of Sedona.

I've always wanted to revisit, the area, if not for that but just for the sheer beauty of the area. At my age, it's a longshot, but one can hope.

Some of Karen's like minded friends claim benevolent aliens have been in and around the area. YMMV.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

Since I believe in God .... angels, demons, possession come along with that.

I like to believe in romantic notions like nessie and bigfoot also!

I think it's possible to believe in angels and demons without believing in God or being religious. Angels can simply be the spirits of people who were good and kind when they were on Earth. While demons are ghosts of those people who were rotten to the core in their earthly form. I don't think angels and demons need to be exclusively tied to God and religion.

I don't know if that sounds weird to anyone else but this is something I have thought for a long time now.

I’m not thinking it’s weird but what’s the difference then between good and bad ghosts/spirits and what you’re describing here?

• Like 1

I believe there's more questions that answers, especially extraterrestrials. We must be incredibly arrogant and stupid to think we're the only intelligent lifeforms in the universe. Other items on the list are man-made hocus pocus.

How about ghosts, angels, and demons?

naa

Do you believe some areas in the world are regularly visited by UFOs?

Do you believe people have ever recovered alien craft?

Sure it's possible on both questions. But all we really have for proof is conspiracy theorists and Billy Bobs that got beamed up from their truck. I just go on my theory that the universe is huge beyond our imagination and the odds that we're the only intelligent (debatable) life forms is pretty slim.

But I don't trust religion to explain any of this with any measure of scientific analysis or reasoning. Religions can't get beyond their simplistic 'boogieman in the closet' propaganda.

I hear you. But I think there’s a big difference between “We’re not alone in the universe” and “Aliens regularly visit Earth” / “We’ve recovered flying saucer tech.” It’s the reason why on the previous page I included that other Joe Rogan clip with the physicist.

Here’s a different one which is pretty interesting:

(The guy in this vid isn’t some conspiracy theorist or a Billy Bob. He seems pretty normal)

http://youtu.be/GS2ZKw3G9-w

• Like 3

I believe there's more questions that answers, especially extraterrestrials. We must be incredibly arrogant and stupid to think we're the only intelligent lifeforms in the universe. Other items on the list are man-made hocus pocus.

naa

Sure it's possible on both questions. But all we really have for proof is conspiracy theorists and Billy Bobs that got beamed up from their truck. I just go on my theory that the universe is huge beyond our imagination and the odds that we're the only intelligent (debatable) life forms is pretty slim.

But I don't trust religion to explain any of this with any measure of scientific analysis or reasoning. Religions can't get beyond their simplistic 'boogieman in the closet' propaganda.

I hear you. But I think there’s a big difference between “We’re not alone in the universe” and “Aliens regularly visit Earth” / “We’ve recovered flying saucer tech.” It’s the reason why on the previous page I included that other Joe Rogan clip with the physicist.

(The guy in this vid isn’t some conspiracy theorist or a Billy Bob. He seems pretty normal)

ok he seems trustworthy...and he's wearing a Detroit Tigers shirt. But I want more details about these things other that having them mess with fighter jets.

• Like 2

naa

ok he seems trustworthy...and he's wearing a Detroit Tigers shirt. But I want more details about these things other that having them mess with fighter jets.

Well yeah, something like this would need extraordinary proof. But I think this is a start and certainly much more credible than Billy Bob saying he was abducted and had his genitals probed by greys. :P

• Like 1

naa

Well yeah, something like this would need extraordinary proof. But I think this is a start and certainly much more credible than Billy Bob saying he was abducted and had his genitals probed by greys. :P

tenor.gif?itemid=9813206

• Like 3

"The Real Amityville Horror"

I only watched the first twelve minutes of this documentary but it's interesting enough so far. It hasn't really gone into any demonic stuff (yet) and seems to focus more on the family troubles. I'll have to finish this later:

http://youtu.be/fZAm8yOS0LM

Okay, I finished the whole thing. They covered both sides pretty well. They even had parts of an interview with the dude who murdered his family in the house before the Lutz’ moved in.

Worth a watch.

• Like 1

^^^^

well, kinda of a long story.... :)

While in high school my friend and I would regularly stay at his grandfather's old 2-story house to look after him and keep him company (the upstairs was empty and unused). My friend always said the house was haunted, and he and his family would have weird experiences in general (think poltergeist). I'd known him and his family for years and never saw/heard anything so I was always thinking BS (“yeah right”). Well, anyway one night we're sleeping in the guest bedroom, and the grand father is asleep in the next bedroom...

Then from upstairs, across the ceiling, the sound of…..

“running…running…running…running…running…running…running…running…running…running…”

…back and forth, right above my head…

…it sounded like a little kid on crack chasing a ball.

Wow, I ask “what the “wtf is that?” My friend said “well I told you the place was haunted”….the sound went on all night, I didn’t sleep a wink…more happened, voices, then the oven door crashed opened/closed, or it sounded like it anyway. Yikes. To be honest I wasn’t afraid, but it was a really, really weird experience.

But never went back…nope. :)

Do you think it could've been something other than a ghost? [And i don't mean someone going to great lengths trying to scare you.]

Well, to be honest I have no idea what it was. I say 'ghost' because my friend said the place was haunted and he and family had strange, poltergeist like experiences (in another house). I still wonder today. Did someone manage to go upstairs without us knowing? Maybe...but whoever it was wanted to play all night...

:D

• Like 2

^^^^

well, kinda of a long story.... :)

While in high school my friend and I would regularly stay at his grandfather's old 2-story house to look after him and keep him company (the upstairs was empty and unused). My friend always said the house was haunted, and he and his family would have weird experiences in general (think poltergeist). I'd known him and his family for years and never saw/heard anything so I was always thinking BS (“yeah right”). Well, anyway one night we're sleeping in the guest bedroom, and the grand father is asleep in the next bedroom...

Then from upstairs, across the ceiling, the sound of…..

“running…running…running…running…running…running…running…running…running…running…”

…back and forth, right above my head…

…it sounded like a little kid on crack chasing a ball.

Wow, I ask “what the “wtf is that?” My friend said “well I told you the place was haunted”….the sound went on all night, I didn’t sleep a wink…more happened, voices, then the oven door crashed opened/closed, or it sounded like it anyway. Yikes. To be honest I wasn’t afraid, but it was a really, really weird experience.

But never went back…nope. :)

Hey I had a similar experience.That kid gets around. :LOL:

Really. Did a house share way back.In the attic a few of us kept seeing something the size of a 7 year old - dark shape. Running around, moving quickly. Saw it independently of each other. Didn't feel threatened.

In the same town I was with my girlfriend in a pub; The Bell. Sitting there looking up I swear I saw this strange smoke, but it was like cotton (dense looking not clear) not moving. It really didn't dissipate or move like smoke. I kept saying to my Mrs over and over 'can you see that strange smoke?' She could not see it.... at all.

No I hadn't indulged :smoke:

Later, about 10 years later, found out this Pub is very haunted. It was on a ghost hunter TV show.

Big Raccoon(s)

Big Raccoon(s) on crack (who like to play soccer) :D

• Like 2

Beliefs are irrelevant...all that matter is, is it true or not?

In the abscence of any empirical evidence whatsoever for any ghosties, ghoulies, goblins etc then I have no reason to concern myself with them.

This goes for God etc too.

Aliens however, I think are not only possible but probable....what kyboshes them as far as we are concerned though is the stupefying distances involved in interstellar travel so I think it is vanishingly unlikely we will ever meet them.

All the above of course is subject to any solid evidence that presents itself.

• Like 1

In the abscence of any empirical evidence whatsoever for any ghosties, ghoulies, goblins etc then I have no reason to concern myself with them.

Aliens however, I think are not only possible but probable....what kyboshes them as far as we are concerned though is the stupefying distances involved in interstellar travel so I think it is vanishingly unlikely we will ever meet them.

Beliefs are relevant because they ARE what i’d like to know. We’ll likely never know the truth about most or all of these topics so I’m interested in what people’s beliefs are, why they believe them, how they come to believe them, and what experiences (if any) they’ve had.

• Like 2

Beliefs are relevant because they ARE what i’d like to know. We’ll likely never know the truth about most or all of these topics so I’m interested in what people’s beliefs are, why they believe them, how they come to believe them, and what experiences (if any) they’ve had.

That's fine, and I gave you my opinion...The only thing that matters to me is empirical evidence, so I don't really believe in anything without proof.

I find the Falisifyability criterion to be the most reliable approach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 3

It's interesting to me that more believe demons / possession are real (currently 6) than angels (currently 4). I kind of put them together and thought the number would be the same. Ghosts / spirits are right in the middle of the two at 5 votes. Hmm...

I purposely made the voting anonymous but I am curious if those who clicked angels automatically chose demons and ghosts too.

That's fine, and I gave you my opinion...The only thing that matters to me is empirical evidence, so I don't really believe in anything without proof.

https://en.wikipedia.../Falsifiability

I agree. To illustrate I'll share something here I have refrained from doing. I'll probably look a bit bat crazy. :LOL:

I had the most incredible experience. Yet I have to put it down as coincidence. I just have to. There is no other explanation. That's what it is. Though it's drove me to distraction.

2001 I was working as a Graphic Designer for Pindar Set U.K.. On the morning of 9/11 I had the most vivid dream.

It was of a plane, silhouetted grey. This plane was wobbling up and down. In my dream I overwhelmingly felt that - this is just not normal! It's not, right?

The plane hit something. Funnily I did not see what it hit. There was loads of debris that reigned down. I hid behind a car door? I also held my right arm up to cover my head from the debris that fell down.

The dream ended. In the morning I told my Mrs. She's east European. If it's not on the table, she does not consider it. AT ALL! :LOL: . She reminds me of that line in Peep Show 'why do you have to live so relentlessly in reality :LOL: ?'

I kept saying to her over and over, on that morning, a plane will crash. Rationalising it with probability. I must have drove her crazy going on and on. I felt overwhelmingly that it would happen. Probability.

As I was getting ready for work in the afternoon, I saw that silhouetted plane live on TV. Not moving erratically, just silhouetted. IT was the second plane. It was bizzare. My cold stark reality partner I am still with, says I saw what was to happen.

I can only rationalise it as an amazing coincidence.Of considerable proportions. What other explanation is there?

All anecdotal.

RIP all those that died on that day, and those subsequently as a result.

Edit I wrote 'I must of' instead of present perfect - have.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 2

My take?

What we don't often consider is the thousands upon thousands of thoughts we have daily that lead nowhere. We don't give these much attention, we don't share them with people, or write about them in our diaries. It's those rare occurrences of apparent synchronicity that will stand out and draw our attention, that will compel us to elaborate on them and assign meaning that heightens their importance into somethin we need to share.

We are anecdotal animals, the result of tens of thousands of years of passing down knowledge from generation to generation, fed by a steady diet of tales of the paranormal. It's hard for science to compete with that.

• Like 4

Yeah, throughout the universe, there probably is life in various forms. The idea that there is intelligent life that developed technology advanced enough to travel intergalactic distances, and that of the billions of places these aliens could go they came here, well, it just doesn't make much sense.
  • Like 1

I agree. To illustrate I'll share something here I have refrained from doing. I'll probably look a bit bat crazy. :LOL:

I had the most incredible experience. Yet I have to put it down as coincidence. I just have to. There is no other explanation. That's what it is. Though it's drove me to distraction.

2001 I was working as a Graphic Designer for Pindar Set U.K.. On the morning of 9/11 I had the most vivid dream.

It was of a plane, silhouetted grey. This plane was wobbling up and down. In my dream I overwhelmingly felt that - this is just not normal! It's not, right?

The plane hit something. Funnily I did not see what it hit. There was loads of debris that reigned down. I hid behind a car door? I also held my right arm up to cover my head from the debris that fell down.

The dream ended. In the morning I told my Mrs. She's east European. If it's not on the table, she does not consider it. AT ALL! :LOL: . She reminds me of that line in Peep Show 'why do you have to live so relentlessly in reality :LOL: ?'

I kept saying to her over and over, on that morning, a plane will crash. Rationalising it with probability. I must have drove her crazy going on and on. I felt overwhelmingly that it would happen. Probability.

As I was getting ready for work in the afternoon, I saw that silhouetted plane live on TV. Not moving erratically, just silhouetted. IT was the second plane. It was bizzare. My cold stark reality partner I am still with, says I saw what was to happen.

I can only rationalise it as an amazing coincidence.Of considerable proportions. What other explanation is there?

All anecdotal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence

That is a good article which demonstrates how often coincidences can occur...I don't doubt for a second that your dream must have had a profound and unsettling effect on you, but when you consider it, there are billions of people in the world...the likelihood of that type of dream occurring to someone on any given day, never mind 9-11 is pretty high...on that day t just happened to be you....must have been freaky though.

• Like 1

All anecdotal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence

That is a good article which demonstrates how often coincidences can occur...I don't doubt for a second that your dream must have had a profound and unsettling effect on you, but when you consider it, there are billions of people in the world...the likelihood of that type of dream occurring to someone on any given day, never mind 9-11 is pretty high...on that day t just happened to be you....must have been freaky though.

I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve stated (after hearing someone’s story), “You don’t think it could’ve been coincidence?” only to hear their reply, “No way! No way that was coincidence!” The idea that they’re not even open to the POSSIBILITY of it being coincidence makes me a little crazy. It wasn’t like I was saying their experience wasn’t real or not coincidence. I was just thinking of possibilities...but they had already decided that their experience was special and totally not random.

All anecdotal.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Coincidence

As I say, I consider my experience to be a coincidence. Nothing more. With an incredible probability of it happening at that time, in that way. It was very freaky. Even in the morning I rationalised as, and said; ' if you consider all the factors, at some point a plane will crash' I said that. Plane crash probability, roughly 1 in 11 million.

It's interesting how cognitive dissonance becomes apparent with people I tell. As I mentioned my partner is very matter of fact. Yet she meekly says I saw something. Which I don't 'believe and tell her (and everyone I tell) as much. It seems the combination of two points of view - the experience and my rational point of view, polorize people I have told. That's how it seems to me.

I mean the story being 'evidence' that people can predict the future. It simply doesn't. Just an amazing coincidence with an incredible high probability. It can't be explained any better than that.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 3

All anecdotal.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Coincidence

As I say, I consider my experience to be a coincidence. Nothing more. With an incredible probability of it happening at that time, in that way. It was very freaky. Even in the morning I rationalised as, and said; ' if you consider all the factors, at some point a plane will crash' I said that. Plane crash probability, roughly 1 in 11 million.

It's interesting how cognitive dissonance becomes apparent with people I tell. As I mentioned my partner is very matter of fact. Yet she meekly says I saw something. Which I don't 'believe and tell her (and everyone I tell) as much. It seems the combination of two points of view - the experience and my rational point of view, polorize people I have told. That's how it seems to me.

I mean the story being 'evidence' that people can predict the future. It's simply does not. Just an amazing coincidence with an incredible high probability. It can't be explained any better than that.

When it comes down to it, it doesn’t really matter either way. It only matters if it affected you.

• Like 1

I believe in UFO's ,, would love to go up in a space ship and live forever with peace. Wouldnt that be cool.

I believe in Ghosts and the Bermuda triangle. Have never seen a ghost but would like too.

I should have checked dreams that come true i believe in.

Is God on that list? :notworthy:

• Like 3