The 40th Anniversary Edition of Permanent Waves came out recently. What are your thoughts and opinions?

TheGhostRider

The Anniversary edition of Permanent Waves came out a couple months ago. I was excited and for the most part happy. But I know not everybody will be 100% satisfied. What are your thoughts and opinions about it?

There have been some opinions shared in other topics/threads...

But the extra concert footage is, simply speaking, amazing!

The artwork is so neat, with subtle changes. And depending how much you are willing to spend you get some extra material that is very nostalgic :)

Some nice live stuff but sadly not a complete show from a single venue. That's disappointing, as soundboards from the PeW tour are few and far between.

I have three - The famous St. Louis '80 show, Ploughkeepsie NY and Allentown PA. Sadly all three are incomplete shows. There isn't much else soundboard quality stuff out there that I know of from this important era.

Some nice live stuff but sadly not a complete show from a single venue. That's disappointing, as soundboards from the PeW tour are few and far between.

I have three - The famous St. Louis '80 show, Ploughkeepsie NY and Allentown PA. Sadly all three are incomplete shows. There isn't much else soundboard quality stuff out there that I know of from this important era.

I agree. I was definitely happy to get these live tracks because until I found out that bootlegs were a thing, (Young Rush fan) the only live tracks from the tour that I ever heard were on Exit Stage Left. If we had gotten a full set list and some bonus tracks I think that would have been better.

Edited by TheGhostRider
  • Like 1

cash grab

It’s definitely expensive that’s for sure, but if you’re happy that’s money we’ll spent. But I totally get it if you don’t think it’s worth spending all that money. I’ve just been enjoying the streaming version.

• Like 1

The Anniversary edition of Permanent Waves came out a couple months ago. I was excited and for the most part happy. But I know not everybody will be 100% satisfied. What are your thoughts and opinions about it?

There are probably other threads about this if you do a search. My favorite part of it is the it's the 2015 McGee master and the 2nd live disc of mostly unreleased stuff.

Okay, the recording quality isn't the absolute highest in the world, but the version of Xanadu on this 40th Anniversary Edition is particularly breathtaking. I swear it never occurred to me how much more beautiful the song might sound if Alex used something closer to his PeW tone rather than his AFTK tone. Also listening to The Trees from it right now and this version is stellar as well. Gorgeous acoustic intro from Alex before he breaks into the main little classical pattern that opens the song.
  • Like 3

Okay, the recording quality isn't the absolute highest in the world, but the version of Xanadu on this 40th Anniversary Edition is particularly breathtaking. I swear it never occurred to me how much more beautiful the song might sound if Alex used something closer to his PeW tone rather than his AFTK tone. Also listening to The Trees from it right now and this version is stellar as well. Gorgeous acoustic intro from Alex before he breaks into the main little classical pattern that opens the song.

The live cuts are exceptional. I really dig By Tor on this one.

• Like 2

I love having a full back to back two books of Cygnus... but I have to admit I can hear how hard it was on Geddy to sing those live.

• Like 3

I love having a full back to back two books of Cygnus... but I have to admit I can hear how hard it was on Geddy to sing those live.

I wonder - did he have a vocal coach ever? He must've in later years... I wonder what his warm ups were like.

I wonder - did he have a vocal coach ever? He must've in later years... I wonder what his warm ups were like.

Hm, I don't know. Certainly he didn't at that point. His voice still sounded great, but he seems to have been prone to wearing it out on tour.