petrucci and portnoy reunite

tangy

i read earlier in the week, john would be be playing a 6 string for his solo record but was working on a new 8 string guitar which he hope to play on the next DT record.

i still love petrucci and portnoy and liquid tension experiment. stopped listening to dt when portnoy left the band though

• Like 1

for johns new solo record . along with dave larue, which is the same band for johns last solo disc and the band i saw in a g3 tour.

stoked they are playing again.

http://www.guitarwor...minal-velocity

Terminal Velocity is a good tune. Parts of it have a Steve Morse vibe to it (Portnoy and Dave LaRue might have a little something to do with that).

DT and Haken are big fans of each other, and both Haken guitarists use 8-strings, so I wonder if John was inspired by them to start incorporating that instrument into his own work.

• Like 2

for johns new solo record . along with dave larue, which is the same band for johns last solo disc and the band i saw in a g3 tour.

Terminal Velocity is a good tune. Parts of it have a Steve Morse vibe to it (Portnoy and Dave LaRue might have a little something to do with that).

DT and Haken are big fans of each other, and both Haken guitarists use 8-strings, so I wonder if John was inspired by them to start incorporating that instrument into his own work.

"string envy"

• Like 3

Looking forward to it!!!

i read earlier in the week, john would be be playing a 6 string for his solo record but was working on a new 8 string guitar which he hope to play on the next DT record.

i still love petrucci and portnoy and liquid tension experiment. stopped listening to dt when portnoy left the band though

Mike Mangini is a damn fine replacement ..... a technically superb drummer. Very suited to DT.

yeah. i have to think animals as leaders is another group at the front of the 8 string movement.

DT toured with scale the summit who were 8 stringers back in 2009. i like haken too. need to dig deeper. spent some time listening to the haken/ between the buried and me supergroup. great players. John has always been a huge steve morse. i have read john say all faves are named al or steve?

• Like 1

"string envy"

it seems like steve vai popularized the 7 string guitar and JP has played 7 strings before.

ever see anyone play a warr guitar? i saw behold the arctopus once. part amazing, part a little too much for my taste. very intense

• Like 1

yeah. i have to think animals as leaders is another group at the front of the 8 string movement.

DT toured with scale the summit who were 8 stringers back in 2009. i like haken too. need to dig deeper. spent some time listening to the haken/ between the buried and me supergroup. great players. John has always been a huge steve morse. i have read john say all faves are named al or steve?

Al Di Meola, Alex Lifeson, Steve Morse, Steve Howe...who am I missing?

• Like 1

Mike Mangini is a damn fine replacement ..... a technically superb drummer. Very suited to DT.

mangini is great and i believe i saw him once with vai. i think portnoy and petrucci have better synergy.

i though DT was trending down before MP left and after that, i said effff it. james labrie is the reason i cant handle DT anymore.

• Like 1

Al Di Meola, Alex Lifeson, Steve Morse, Steve Howe...who am I missing?

allan holdsworth

steve vai

steve hackett

i will try to dig up that quote.

• Like 2

^^^ i was wrong about hackett.

Petrucci has two groups of primary influences, “…the Steve’s and the Al’s”. The Steve’s are Steve Morse, Steve Howe, Steve Vai, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. The Al’s are Alex Lifeson, Al Di Meola, and Allan Holdsworth.

Some of his early influences include Steve Morse, Al DiMeola, Steve Howe, Allan Holdsworth, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Randy Rhoads, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Alex Lifeson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Rush, Yes, Iron Maiden, The Dregs and Metallica.

In Ultimate Classic Rock, JP said:

It started with liking classic rock. Where I lived, on Long Island, you had the radio stations that always played Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and AC/DC and all that. I grew up on all that stuff. I got turned onto bands — you know, the first time I heard Rush, the first time I heard Yes. Then, my mind started to want to connect and reach out to some other things. Then, Iron Maiden came along, and Metallica, and all this other stuff.

When asked which guitarist stands the most out:

For me it was Steve Morse,” Petrucci explained. “It was funny. I started playing guitar and getting into [Led] Zeppelin, Rush, ACDC, Sabbath and stuff like that, and one of my friend’s friends was like ‘Dude you got to check this out,’ and it was the [Dixie] Dregs.

When asked about more modern progressive metal acts:

I think that without naming a specific band, there is a whole wave of younger bands that are in the prog vein. There is Periphery, Between the Buried and Me, Animals As Leaders — bands like that are doing stuff where you hear it and you are like, ‘Wow, that’s amazing! That was intense!’

http://dreamtheater.club/questions/question/who-are-john-petruccis-influences/

• Like 1

mangini is great and i believe i saw him once with vai. i think portnoy and petrucci have better synergy.

i though DT was trending down before MP left and after that, i said effff it. james labrie is the reason i cant handle DT anymore.

Yes, i struggle with him also.... unless he is on top of his a-game (which is pretty rare these days) i think he weakens DT
  • Like 1

"string envy"

it seems like steve vai popularized the 7 string guitar and JP has played 7 strings before.

ever see anyone play a warr guitar? i saw behold the arctopus once. part amazing, part a little too much for my taste. very intense

Trey Gunn in King Crimson
  • Like 1

"string envy"

nice i watched a few videos of him after you mentioned him. they were great! :cheers:

• Like 1

"string envy"

nice i watched a few videos of him after you mentioned him. they were great! :cheers:

I listened to a few tracks by the band you mentioned - Behold The Arctopus (I hadn't heard of them) ...... amazingly dexterous musicianship but a bit full on! Ok in short doses methinks!
  • Like 1

"string envy"

I listened to a few tracks by the band you mentioned - Behold The Arctopus (I hadn't heard of them) ...... amazingly dexterous musicianship but a bit full on! Ok in short doses methinks!

nice. yeah, short doses for sure. they played around 30 minutes as an opener for between the buried and me. i think they disbanded but cant recall what new groups they are in. great players for sure.

• Like 1

That’s a shame because the last DT album is the best thing they’ve ever done.

• Like 1

That’s a shame because the last DT album is the best thing they’ve ever done.

Glad you feel that way. I listened to a few tunes and they were strong. but to me kinda same old same old and then labrie steps in.

not my cup of tea any longer but still respect the hell out them. ( james excluded )

there was a time when the official dream theater thread was one of the most active here.

• Like 1

I'm a massive DT fan, and for me this new Petrucci song has the sentimental value of seeing both of them working together. But it sounds like a middle of the road Satriani track.

Yeah its good to see them play again regardless of how good it is.

I wonder if its Dave Larues playing ( who also plays for satch ) or JP who it makes it seem like satch for you?? not that i disagree with your description. need a few more listens.

• Like 1