August 6, 1945

psionic11

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes. -- George Santayana

Flying out of the shockwave on that August day

All the powers that be, and the course of history,

Would be changed for evermore...

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Little_Boy

• Like 2

I will never understand this justification of blatant murder of innocent civilians.

if you are in the US, please be the next president

not joking

• Like 3

And yes - I’ve heard the “nuclear weapons shortened the war” argument.

Well -that’s BS. The chapters of the book are still being written. It’s only a matter of time before a nuclear weapon is used against the US.

• Like 1

Well -that’s BS. The chapters of the book are still being written. It’s only a matter of time before a nuclear weapon is used against the US.

you tell 'em that m8 :yes:
  • Like 1

That video still gets to me after all these years, especially at 3:05. :(

Justifications change over time, from person to person, culture to culture, generation to generation.

But what doesn't change are those things that are DONE. The Latin word "facere" means "to do", and the Latin "factum" means "a thing done"... The dropping of the Little Boy on Hiroshima is a fact we can't erase.

We can't justify what was done, but we can choose to remember it, in order not to repeat it. The masses have a short memory span, and it is good to remind ourselves of our mistakes and constantly seek to improve. At least that's my take on history and learning and purpose.

Over 70,000 obliterated with a single bomb. :blaze:

Edited by psionic11
  • Like 1

That video still gets to me after all these years, especially at 3:05. :(

Justifications change over time, from person to person, culture to culture, generation to generation.

But what doesn't change are those things that are DONE. The Latin word "facere" means "to do", and the Latin "factum" means "a thing done"... The dropping of the Little Boy on Hiroshima is a fact we can't erase.

We can't justify what was done, but we can choose to remember it, in order not to repeat it. The masses have a short memory span, and it is good to remind ourselves of our mistakes and constantly seek to improve. At least that's my take on history and learning and purpose.

Over 70,000 obliterated with a single bomb. :blaze:

Manhattan Project is a song that is starting to grow on me a lot more

The United States detonated two nuclear weapons over the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9, 1945, respectively, with the consent of the United Kingdom, as required by the Quebec Agreement, to commit mass-murder of Japanese citizens in order to terrify Japan into surrendering. The two bombings killed between 129,000 and 226,000 people, most of whom were civilians, and remain the only uses of nuclear weapons in armed conflict. It is the the most significant example of state terrorism to date.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

I will never understand this justification of blatant murder of innocent civilians.

Consider the context: World War II had an estimated 75 million total deaths*, including 20 million military personnel and 40 million civilians. This only a generation after WWI, which had an estimated 40 million deaths, military and civilian combined. With that in mind, and in light of Japan having refused surrender and having made alliance overtures to the Soviet Union, putting and end to WWI and an end to world war in general, doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, horrific as it the result was for the people of those cities.

* https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-hccc-worldhistory2/chapter/casualties-of-world-war-ii/#:~:text=31.8.,bombings%2C%20disease%2C%20and%20starvation.

• Like 5

to commit mass-murder of Japanese citizens in order to terrify Japan into surrendering.

The Truman Administration destroyed Hiroshima with an atomic bomb in order to intimidate the Soviet Union.

Dogma-like propaganda, produced by the U.S. Government and the Media for 75 years, is being slowly proven false, thanks to declassified information regarding the Truman Administration.

Secretary of State James Byrnes advised Truman that the newly developed atomic bomb could "dictate terms" to the Soviet Union (a direct quote). Even before WWII had ended, the Cold War was in gear. The U.S.'s main concern was the Soviets invading Eastern Europe and Manchuria after the War was over.

Truman delayed the Trinity test in New Mexico (the first test of a atomic warhead detonation) from April to July 16th, 1945 - the very day before the crucial Potsdam Conference with Winston Churchill and Joseph Stalin. When Truman was informed of the Test's success, he literally danced in joy.

The next day, during his meeting with Stalin, Truman hinted at a "new weapon" that the U.S. had developed. Due to Soviet espionage, Stalin already knew about the U.S.'s development of the Bomb, and he was not intimidated.

Hiroshima was not on the Air Force's 21st Air Command's list of military targets. It held no tactical significance.

U.S. bombers were flying over Japan virtually unopposed, as Japan's military defenses were all but depleted.

Every U.S. Military Commander opposed the dropping of the Bombs, except for one - General Leslie Groves, who was in charge of the Manhattan Project.

Japan had been negotiating their surrender via European ambassadors.

All they wanted was to save their Emperor's honor by assuring that he would not be deposed.

The Truman Administration rigidly refused Japan's request, and demanded that surrender had to be unconditional.

After the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan surrendered, and lo and behold, they were allowed to keep their Emperor.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes. -- George Santayana

Nice thought. How true is it in practice...?

https://vimeo.com/67739294

@46:18, these chilling statistics are presented. During WWI, civilian deaths accounted for 10% of all casualties. In WWII, it was 50%, for Vietnam, 70%, and in the protracted Iraq War, 90%.

• Like 1

The United States detonated two nuclear weapons over the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9, 1945, respectively, with the consent of the United Kingdom, as required by the Quebec Agreement, to commit mass-murder of Japanese citizens in order to terrify Japan into surrendering. The two bombings killed between 129,000 and 226,000 people, most of whom were civilians, and remain the only uses of nuclear weapons in armed conflict. It is the the most significant example of state terrorism to date.

https://en.m.wikiped...ma_and_Nagasaki

I personally know many WW2 vets who told me that they would not have returned home alive if the bombs weren't dropped.
  • Like 3

Do you place any significance on the fact that Japan did not surrender after the first atomic bomb was dropped?

Interesting book I recommend on this topic:

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/1982143347

• Like 3

Since political discourse at TRF is limited to SOCN, let's get this back on track.

Was Geddy's bass too buried in the mix? I thought it was so good it should have been featured a bit more.

• Like 3

I personally know many WW2 vets who told me that they would not have returned home alive if the bombs weren't dropped.

‘There were other ways to force a surrender.

Do you place any significance on the fact that Japan did not surrender after the first atomic bomb was dropped?

You mean ‘stop resisting our invasion”...

Which country attacked which one first?

‘There were other ways to force a surrender.

They had a city destroyed and they kept fighting. In fact, the military personnel didn't want to surrender after the second bomb was dropped. The emperor had to step in and say, in essence, "enough."

Since political discourse at TRF is limited to SOCN, let's get this back on track.

Was Geddy's bass too buried in the mix? I thought it was so good it should have been featured a bit more.

What You're Doing is actually my favorite song on the debut. It was awesome when they broke that out for R40.

• Like 2

What You're Doing is actually my favorite song on the debut. It was awesome when they broke that out for R40.

I enjoyed that too. The bass in that song can best be described as sinewy. Very sinewy. Much more satisfying than anything recorded from 1985-89.

• Like 1

I enjoyed that too. The bass in that song can best be described as sinewy. Very sinewy. Much more satisfying than anything recorded from 1985-89.

I've always thought they were lucky they didn't get sued by Zeppelin. Very close to Heartbreaker.

I've always thought they were lucky they didn't get sued by Zeppelin. Very close to Heartbreaker.

The thought of Zeppelin suing someone else for stealing tunes gave me a chuckle.

• Like 4

The thought of Zeppelin suing someone else for stealing tunes gave me a chuckle.

:D
  • Like 1

Which country attacked which one first?

Irrelevant- we are talking about mass murder of civilians.