Rush Gang! I'm Putting This Here For Neil! Just Played "Hemispheres" And "AFWTK" On My Drums. How Did Neil Do This Nightly?

RUSHHEAD666

Guys and gals!

Now I haven't played my drums in a few months because it's been really hot here and the late afternoon sun hits my garage where my kit is.

Today was cooler and I've been itching to play to some Rush albums.

I just played through "Hemispheres" and then played "AFWTK." Yes I know I played them out of order. You know "Hemispheres" is my go to album on the Earth to play because it's so fun and complex.

I then followed up with a drum solo.

As I finished up I was a sweating mess. Three new blisters on my fingers, yet I feel great!!! Not much rust after a long break.

However I began thinking how the heck did Neil play his drums like this almost ever single night.

His endurance was off the charts.

We all know that Neil was in the best shape of his life during to mid to late 80's "HYF" Neil seemed to be the apex of his fitness.

So then, back in the Seventies. Neil was a skinny guy and he always loved his cigarettes.

I am truly amazing by Neil.

To be able to drum so fuckking hard for as long as he did.

He truly is the greatest.

I am proud to have his drumming spirit inside me.

I am so lucky that I learned how to play to Rush albums since I was only 13 years young.

I will always love you Neil Peart. Thank you for the gift.

I will cherish it forever.

RUSH ON RUSH FORUM!!!

I DO LOVE THIS PLACE!

• Like 6

Guys and gals!

Now I haven't played my drums in a few months because it's been really hot here and the late afternoon sun hits my garage where my kit is.

I just played through "Hemispheres" and then played "AFWTK." Yes I know I played them out of order. You know "Hemispheres" is my go to album on the Earth to play because it's so fun and complex.

As I finished up I was a sweating mess. Three new blisters on my fingers, yet I feel great!!! Not much rust after a long break.

However I began thinking how the heck did Neil play his drums like this almost ever single night.

We all know that Neil was in the best shape of his life during to mid to late 80's "HYF" Neil seemed to be the apex of his fitness.

So then, back in the Seventies. Neil was a skinny guy and he always loved his cigarettes.

I am so lucky that I learned how to play to Rush albums since I was only 13 years young.

RUSH ON RUSH FORUM!!!

I DO LOVE THIS PLACE!

Pssst Earl, a little hint, move your drum kit somewhere else...

• Like 4

Guys and gals!

RUSH ON RUSH FORUM!!!

I DO LOVE THIS PLACE!

Fans.

Air conditioning.

Nudity.

The solutions are unlimited.

• Like 4

Guys and gals!

RUSH ON RUSH FORUM!!!

I DO LOVE THIS PLACE!

Right on my friend! :D Didn't know you played!

BTW, been PMing you. Just wanted to catch up and see how far you are in the book. Also, check out my last post on the Rush Dream thread. I'll think you'll like it.

Cheers!

• Like 1

@RUSHHEAD666,

Curious, honestly, after an absence and playing and sweating it out like that - which songs, which tracks did you find were harder or easier?

Not a drummer myself, but some muscle memory and body changes must make a difference.

And the over-heating thing, two fans - one on you, the other facing outward at a door or window should make a difference. And ice cubes in the socks?!

• Like 1

Guys and gals!

RUSH ON RUSH FORUM!!!

I DO LOVE THIS PLACE!

Pat!

Impossible to move my huge kit!!

It is what it is!!!

• Like 1

Guys and gals!

RUSH ON RUSH FORUM!!!

I DO LOVE THIS PLACE!

Fans.

Air conditioning.

Nudity.

The solutions are unlimited.

Hahaha! I should have installed AC in my garage three years ago when I replaced my AC and Heat. Silly me.

Yes! Fans are working better!

Just playing in shorts and socks dude.

• Like 2

Guys and gals!

RUSH ON RUSH FORUM!!!

I DO LOVE THIS PLACE!

BTW, been PMing you. Just wanted to catch up and see how far you are in the book. Also, check out my last post on the Rush Dream thread. I'll think you'll like it.

Cheers!

Hello my friend! Sorry for the late response!! Hope all is well. I will check it out!!!

I though you knew I played! Sorry!!! 38 frigging years! Thanks to buying Moving Pictures in 1981. YYZ was it for me. Then even as a kid I became obsessed and had to learn every RUSH record!!!

Your book is very interesting! It's unique and refreshing to read since you have a great passion for music too!!

• Like 2

@RUSHHEAD666,

Curious, honestly, after an absence and playing and sweating it out like that - which songs, which tracks did you find were harder or easier?

Not a drummer myself, but some muscle memory and body changes must make a difference.

And the over-heating thing, two fans - one on you, the other facing outward at a door or window should make a difference. And ice cubes in the socks?!

Hello my friend! Thank you for you question!

There is no doubt it's all muscle memory.

I've been playing to Rush music since I was was 13 years old!

I can't read sheet music. Could never ever do it. Even when I took piano for four years before discovering the drums!

I've learned everything from ear.

I confess despite the hot garage and the lack of practice I felt very good playing though both records!

"Book II" is the very tricky to play but it's my favorite to jam too! LOL!

"Cygnus X-I" is a bit tricky but fun!

"La Villa" has never been tough for me. I've read a lot of drummers find that difficult to play too.

I think I brainwashed myself as a kid to be Neil Peart Jr. LOL!

So after decades of drumming it's like riding a bike!!!

Trust me, I sure as heck am no Neil. I only have one cd ep recording on the Earth but I'll take it. A dream come true to be on iTunes!!

I was so passionate about Neil in the 8th grade I learned the "Exit Stage Left YYZ and drum solo!"

I probably drove my parents crazy but they never complained!

I'm very blessed with the best mom and dad on the planet!!!

Cheers!!!

RUSH ON!!!!

• Like 2

Not for nothin’ - here’s a recent video of me trying to pull of Tom Sawyer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EMheCYJ_tlU

Great job 1973!! I like the two octobans I have two there as well on my kit and two more over my floor toms!!!

thanks bro! It took me forever to pull off and I still f***ed up all over the place. Peart is a god.

• Like 1

Not for nothin’ - here’s a recent video of me trying to pull of Tom Sawyer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EMheCYJ_tlU

Great job 1973!! I like the two octobans I have two there as well on my kit and two more over my floor toms!!!

thanks bro! It took me forever to pull off and I still f***ed up all over the place. Peart is a god.

1973!

No human will every replicate Neil's style. Not even Mike Portnoy can carry the Neil Peart Flame.

That "Working Man" cd is crap. Also "Cygnus And The Sea Monsters" is a nice homage. Yet crap. JMO

All we can do is keep playing our drums and keep Neil's spirit alive. I am typing this to every drummer on the planet who reads this post.

RUSH ON!!!!!!

Earl

• Like 1

Earl you have a memorial thread going in Random Samples FYI

Holy Shit! What??????

I know I haven't been on here much lately. I have a beautiful woman in my life now.

I rarely go to Random Samples as you can probably tell.

Usually I just chill with the Neil Subform, Rush Forum, Music Of The Spheres and usually in the Sports Section.

Hmmmmmmm....

I'm actually scared to look. I'm not dead yet......

R.I.P.?

RAMER IS PEART? LOL!!!!!!!!

Guys and gals!

RUSH ON RUSH FORUM!!!

I DO LOVE THIS PLACE!

Cheers!

Hello my friend! Sorry for the late response!! Hope all is well. I will check it out!!!

I though you knew I played! Sorry!!! 38 frigging years! Thanks to buying Moving Pictures in 1981. YYZ was it for me. Then even as a kid I became obsessed and had to learn every RUSH record!!!

Your book is very interesting! It's unique and refreshing to read since you have a great passion for music too!!

No problem! I know there's a lot going on in this science fiction novel we're living in right now! :D

I got into them around the same time, as you know! But because I didn't have the opportunity to play an instrument, along with the music I focused on the lyrics! Which, like everyone else, spoke directly to me! Can't wait for you to get to the Rush chapter!!!

Thanks my friend, keep me updated!

Edited by skullchrist