_hi_water._'s reviews: A Farewell To Kings (1977)

_hi_water._

220px-Rush_A_Farewell_to_Kings.jpg

Now Rush has their freedom, what should they do? (A) Become a political ass like Ted Nugent... (B) Keep using the same formula they always used © Become progressive more than ever or (D) Not giving a flying flamingo about anything

They chose C.

The production is still excellent (sounding like a broken record much?). The long songs have excellent climaxes, and have excellent buildup, while the shorter songs are still classic jams.

Caress Of Steel and 2112 were some good instances of Rush moving into progressive music, but A Farewell To Kings shows prog at one of its finest. Of course Alex uses his rockin' guitar, and acoustics, and Geddy still kicks ass on the bass (and vocals lol)... but Neil kept adding more to his drumkit, making everything a lot better. Woodblocks, chimes, cowbells... and there are birds in a couple tunes.

Songs:

A Farewell To Kings - love that acoustic intro. It blasts into something that will get stuck in your head after that. Excellent lyrics and music.

Xanadu - who doesn't love this tune? It has amazing buildup with its fades and the extra stuff Neil added to his table. Though it's not the most complex song they made (I mean, you can hear Alex just going up and down the scales a lot), it's still a fun song to listen to. The 11 minutes is worth it.

Closer To The Heart - the album's hit. There is not one damn thing wrong with this song at all... it might be one of their absolute best (like Top 15). Excellent vocals and lyrics, awesome solo, amazing drumming, amazing acoustics... gee whiz

Cinderella Man - a song lots of fans get mixed about. You either love this song or you just dislike it. I love it. I love the guitar here, and it's definitely a fun song to listen to - love how they also implement the piano

Madrigal - another mixed song from fans. This song is... beautiful. Just beautiful. It's very short, so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Cygnus X-1 - Top 5. TOP 5. The song is heavier than most other Rush songs. I love Geddy's screams on here. The bass and guitar are just f**king earwormy. I especially love the eery feel to this song. Book 2 is also a masterpiece but I quite like this one better.

Ranking the albums so far:

5. Rush

4. Fly By Night

3. Caress Of Steel

2. 2112

1. A Farewell To Kings

Edited by _hi_water._

I've been clear on other posts that A Farewell To Kings is my favourite Rush album so my review would

be somewhat biased but i'll just make a few quick points -

- I really like all the tracks, I don't consider the so-called weak tracks, Cinderella Man and Madrigal to be weak at all - CM a good rock song with excellent guitar work and Madrigal is short and beautiful

- The complex pieces Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 are two of the best things Rush ever did - Xanadu is my favourite of all time

- The 'hit' Closer To The Heart is another Rush classic - flawless

- Title track - As soon as the acoustic intro started i just new something special was happening...... a stunning opening track.

The album is a masterpiece. At time of release by far their best work to date, making my rankings so far -

5 Rush

4 Caress of Steel

3 Fly By Night

2 2112

1 A Farewell To Kings

Edited by zepphead

I have heard people say that AFTK has cinematic sound and feel to it and I agree.There is really no straightforward rock songs on here like Bastille Day or Something for Nothing.Acoustic guitars,keyboards and more percussion but there is still loud guitars,thunderous bass and drums.And Geddy’s keening shriek.

A Farewell To Kings:Love the acoustic intro something which the will repeat on the next album with the Trees.A powerful verse but I always found the chorus a bit stodgy.

Xanadu:Epic.You can’t just wash the dishes to this,you have to sit down and give it your full attention .

Closer to the Heart:Probably heard it too much like Spirit and Tom Sawyer but a perfect folk song with that progressive edge.I play this acoustically in my solo act.

Cinderella Man:A vastly underatted song.Love the bass.Love the live take on Different Stages.

Madrigal:A short lovely song and a big step up from Rivendell.

Cygnus:On first listen a bit all over the place and seemingly unfinished,but wow,does it take you somewhere(a black hole perhaps).Geddy would never shriek like this again and Alex’s fading chords would, that G suspended something I think,would reappear on the next album and many years later on Far Cry.

I see each album up to this point better than the last.In fact it wasn’t till HYF that I felt there was a dip

• Like 1

3 masterpiece songs. The first 3 songs of the album. Absolutely stunning. Xanadu is Prog Rush at their peak. That Classical intro to the title track is masterful. Closer To The Heart - short, sweet and kickass. Madrigal gets too much hate and it also gets compared to the abomination Rivendell too much. Its not "filler" either, everyone saying that is just jealous these guys can make a better song in 2 and a half minutes then they ever can! Cinderella Man, nothing much to say about it. Its pretty straightforward and Ged's lyrics leave you satisfied. And then Cygnus Book I. The worst on the album. That just shows you how damn great this album is.

A+ 10/10 all the way

• Like 2

3 masterpiece songs. The first 3 songs of the album. Absolutely stunning. Xanadu is Prog Rush at their peak. That Classical intro to the title track is masterful. Closer To The Heart - short, sweet and kickass. Madrigal gets too much hate and it also gets compared to the abomination Rivendell too much. Its not "filler" either, everyone saying that is just jealous these guys can make a better song in 2 and a half minutes then they ever can! Cinderella Man, nothing much to say about it. Its pretty straightforward and Ged's lyrics leave you satisfied. And then Cygnus Book I. The worst on the album. That just shows you how damn great this album is.

A+ 10/10 all the way

Really liked what you had to say about Madrigal.