Fordgalaxy

Selling Out For Fun and Profit  

23 members have voted

1. 1. When did Rush sell out?

• Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Roll The Bones
    • Other

When they started putting washing machines on stage and doing stupid comedy skits

How exactly is this selling out?

It’s not. It’s just a corky sense of humor. Whether someone thinks it’s funny or not, I’m not seeing how it’s selling out.

Was it selling out when they used the Three Stooges theme music 40 years ago? Was it selling out when Count Floyd intro’d The Weapon? Rush had always had that dorky, fun-loving sense of humor.

You're right it's not selling out, it's jumping the shark. New thread.

Do you think Count Floyd was jumping the shark? The Stooges theme music? Or did the washing machines or chicken rotisserie jump the shark?

I guess jumping the shark is when a creative act does too much of something. The dorky humor was ok in small doses when Rush were in their prime, but overdid it in the latter years, in my view. Still a fan!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

I see, if it has to be a definitive moment I’ll go with the polka intro to La Villa Strangiato on the Time Machine tour.

• Like 1

When they started putting washing machines on stage and doing stupid comedy skits

It’s not. It’s just a corky sense of humor. Whether someone thinks it’s funny or not, I’m not seeing how it’s selling out.

Was it selling out when they used the Three Stooges theme music 40 years ago? Was it selling out when Count Floyd intro’d The Weapon? Rush had always had that dorky, fun-loving sense of humor.

Do you think Count Floyd was jumping the shark? The Stooges theme music? Or did the washing machines or chicken rotisserie jump the shark?

I guess jumping the shark is when a creative act does too much of something. The dorky humor was ok in small doses when Rush were in their prime, but overdid it in the latter years, in my view. Still a fan!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

I see, if it has to be a definitive moment I’ll go with the polka intro to La Villa Strangiato on the Time Machine tour.

:LOL:

The comedy, sense of fun and them not taking themselves too seriously as people while still taking their craft completely seriously as musicians is a big part of what attracted me to Rush, so hard disagree there! Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 3

Rush selling out musically might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted.

Hilarious.

• Like 1

As you get older.....and I do not know your age.....you get more more into the frame of mind that you simply do not give a shit about what anyone thinks.

Period.

So do what you want. And who cares.....if it is not “cool”.

As others have said, they never sold out. Over the years they just delved into styles which I don't think necessarily suited them well. They certainly didn't want to be stuck in the 70's, so things had to change (even if just for their own artistic sanity).

Another poll question could be "On what album did Rush start "mailing it in"? ". I would say the answer to that is "Roll the Bones", though there are some albums after that which I don't think are mailed in.

Yeah they mailed it in.

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

Wheres My Thing

Ghost of a Chance

5 insanely great Rush songs...beloved by most in Rush circles......they sure mailed it in writing those turds.

When did Rush first license one of their songs? Has any of their music been used to shill tortilla chips, or soda, or beer, or cars, etc.?

In 2000 to Nissan for the New Maxima they had Tom Sawyer and to be honest......bad ass car commercial and the song was perfect for it.

Seriously.....who gives a shit. It is their song, their art....they can do whatever they want with it.

Everyone needs to earn a living. People need to get a life.

Edited by Todem

Selling out suggests using autotune or having Megan Thee Stallion as a guest vocalist. They changed their sound, but it was not to broaden their appeal so much as the simple fact they had changed. Not many bands reproduce their early sound for year after year, certainly not for four decades (even though secretly we may wish they had). Edited by IbanezJem

Was it on Grace Under Pressure when they tried to sound reggae?

Rush started flirting with the reggae thing on Permanent Waves (Spirit of Radio), continued it on Moving Pictures (Vital Signs), kept it going on Signals (Digital Man), and went to it again on GUP (The Enemy Within). They were Jammin' and Passing the Dutchie for three albums before GUP. :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

• Like 2

Rush started flirting with the reggae thing on Permanent Waves (Spirit of Radio), continued it on Moving Pictures (Vital Signs), kept it going on Signals (Digital Man), and went to it again on GUP (The Enemy Within). They were Jammin' and Passing the Dutchie for three albums before GUP. :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Was trying to sound reggae actually selling out? When they tried to sound heavier (a la Counterparts) nobody said they were selling out.

As crap as I think that rap in Bones was, I still don’t think even that was selling out. It was just something I didn’t like.

• Like 3

Was trying to sound reggae actually selling out? When they tried to sound heavier (a la Counterparts) nobody said they were selling out.

As crap as I think that rap in Bones was, I still don’t think even that was selling out. It was just something I didn’t like.

I don't think Rush ever sold out. Sometimes their tastes were more commercial and sometimes they weren't, but I don't think they ever sat down and said "let's write a hit."

Selling out would've meant trying to repeat Moving Picture ad infinitum.

Am I right Tom Scholz?

I don't think Tom Scholz was driven to make hits. He was just a massive perfectionist and didn't want to release a sub-par record by his own standards. Boston selling out would've probably looked like 4 rapid fire follow ups to the debut with a quarter of the production quality and half the writing quality.

• Like 1