Fordgalaxy

Selling Out For Fun and Profit  

23 members have voted

1. 1. When did Rush sell out?

• Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Roll The Bones
    • Other

They were always a level headed, business oriented enterprise. They played the money game very well.

They understood the handshake that needed to happen between art and business. It’s all there in “the spirit of radio.”

So they made an investment in their careers from the very beginning. To sell out would mean to go against their ideals and better judgement. I don’t think they ever did that.

Not even when Ole bought their rights..... They disengaged......

the worst offense in my eyes.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWuNdXvXlk

I was thinking about that one, my sister called me when she saw it and was really ticked. I wondered what they were thinking, seemed like a one off to me. Wasn't a great idea to let Walmart appropriate their music. :16ton:

• Like 1

Im suprised they never sold out. I thought RUSH30 did.

So you think the R30 tour/album was a sell out? Not sure I follow you here.

the worst offense in my eyes.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWuNdXvXlk

Don't you remember a few years ago they sold their music rights?

That explains this video...and of course Ray had something to do with it

SRO/Anthem president and the band’s longtime (and only) manager Ray Danniels commented: “With the changing times in the music business, the responsibilities of a publisher have become much more complex. This deal will allow me to devote my time and energy to managing the live touring and recording aspects of Rush’s ongoing career.”

Well at least they didn't have Michael Jackson snap up their rights years ago (when he did a dirty on Paul McCartney) so it could be worse.

• Like 3

Im suprised they never sold out. I thought RUSH30 did.

So you think the R30 tour/album was a sell out? Not sure I follow you here.

Sorry i should have investigated. haha Come to think of it..Boston never seemed sold out, i mean the concerts. Any of them..i went to most tour concerts in Boston or Manchester NH.

• Like 1

They never sold out in the pejorative sense. They always made and played the music they wanted to. And they also acknowledged how fortunate they were to be able to do that.

Selling their rights several years ago was a business move - a retirement payout essentially. While they were a touring band they did want they wanted.

• Like 2

When it comes to any sell out, Rush didn't do that. They did things their own way, which I think, and feel should have been. When, and if it comes to selling out their concerts on tours, they did plenty of that as they were quite the performers. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

If there's a moment where they attempted to access the mainstream and 'sell out', I'd honestly say that the most noticeable shift was between Hemispheres and Permanent Waves.

Oh, but you LIKE those albums, so no one calls them a sell out!

And that's kinda my point about the whole concept.

It seems to me that the post-Hemispheres shift was a conscious effort to say goodbye to the epic-length songs. They were simply tired of doing them. Once they did that, what else was there to do but write shorter, more radio-friendly songs? The shift created the appearance of the Band wanting to get mainstream access, but that wasn't their primary goal.

Metallica basically did the same thing. James Hetfield said that when they were playing their epics on stage, they could see fans in the crowd who looked like they were in trances, and they didn't like that. That's when they decided to write shorter songs.

• Like 3

Rush had to progress and experiment with their sound to allow their career to flourish.

Their main product was their touring. For the number of shows they did and the years they toured they needed to keep challenging themselves or make it interesting.

• Like 1

Rush had to progress and experiment with their sound to allow their career to flourish.

Their main product was their touring. For the number of shows they did and the years they toured they needed to keep challenging themselves or make it interesting.

Agreed. One of the big things I have realised over the last bunch of pandemic months, while I have been listening to lots of bootlegs from over their career, is how the dynamics of each tour changed with the addition of new material.

This is why fans kept coming back for more - things never stood still.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

When they started putting washing machines on stage and doing stupid comedy skits

How exactly is this selling out?

It’s not. It’s just a corky sense of humor. Whether someone thinks it’s funny or not, I’m not seeing how it’s selling out.

Was it selling out when they used the Three Stooges theme music 40 years ago? Was it selling out when Count Floyd intro’d The Weapon? Rush had always had that dorky, fun-loving sense of humor.

• Like 4

When they started putting washing machines on stage and doing stupid comedy skits

You didn't like the comedy skits? I thought they were really funny and I appreciated that they would take the time to do them for our entertainment. That they did such things endeared Rush to me all the more.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

It’s not. It’s just a corky sense of humor. Whether someone thinks it’s funny or not, I’m not seeing how it’s selling out.

Was it selling out when they used the Three Stooges theme music 40 years ago? Was it selling out when Count Floyd intro’d The Weapon? Rush had always had that dorky, fun-loving sense of humor.

You're right it's not selling out, it's jumping the shark. New thread.

Do you think Count Floyd was jumping the shark? The Stooges theme music? Or did the washing machines or chicken rotisserie jump the shark?

Do you think Count Floyd was jumping the shark? The Stooges theme music? Or did the washing machines or chicken rotisserie jump the shark?

I guess jumping the shark is when a creative act does too much of something. The dorky humor was ok in small doses when Rush were in their prime, but overdid it in the latter years, in my view. Still a fan!

Edited by yyz2112
  • Like 1

I guess jumping the shark is when a creative act does too much of something. The dorky humor was ok in small doses when Rush were in their prime, but overdid it in the latter years, in my view. Still a fan!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark