Van Halen - A Beginners Guide

zepphead

Overwhelmed by the all embracing love you good folks have for the little beat group known as Van Halen, I have come to the conclusion that I need a learner's course in all things Van Halen!

So, starting next week I intend to do some selective listening to endeavour to 'feel the love' ..... I need guidance!

So -

- Can you suggest 5 albums i should focus on? (5 or less ..... life's too short!)

- Suggested listening order?

- Stuff to avoid?

All help appreciated ..... I feel i am missing out!

• Like 1

Overwhelmed by the all embracing love you good folks have for the little beat group known as Van Halen, I have come to the conclusion that I need a learner's course in all things Van Halen!

So, starting next week I intend to do some selective listening to endeavour to 'feel the love' ..... I need guidance!

So -

- Can you suggest 5 albums i should focus on? (5 or less ..... life's too short!)

- Stuff to avoid?

The first step with any problem, is admitting that you have a problem. So well done, Zepphead. The old saying is if you had to pick four people from Earth to combat the all-powerful Space Monsters, early Van Halen would be as good as anyone.

Most people would agree that Classic Van Halen (CVH) - Roth, Mike Anthony, Ed and Alex - and their six albums between 1978-84 are what you have been missing, and anything between 1986-2012 is a lengthy aberration you can ignore. 3/4 of CVH did throw together another record in 2012 (A Different Kind of Truth) which I like a lot but isn`t as strong as the six-pack.

Let`s pick ten tunes to start off, missing the ones you`ll know already (Jump, Panama, Hot For Teacher etc., which aren`t representative of their early omnipotence) -

Unchained, Mean Street, Ain`t Talkin` `Bout Love, Little Guitars, Hear About It Later, Romeo Delight, Secrets, Blood and Fire, I`m The One, Everybody Wants Some

I`m sure other people will pick a different selection but if you really don`t like these, there`s nothing I can do for you.

Or you could just buy Fair Warning, the greatest record of all time, and throw everything else you own in the fire :fury:

• Like 3

I agree with 99% of what IbanezJ said. I might pick some different songs and a different favorite VH album but the songs I’d recommend would all be from those first six albums anyway.

Have a taste of this:

http://youtu.be/YDsKGyu0F98

* Better Off Dead is a fun, silly 80s John Cusack movie worth checking out with a nice nod to Van Halen.

• Like 3

He said five ALBUMS, not songs. Here:

Van Halen I

Fair Warning

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Thanks! ..... these 5 albums are my starting point .... which hopefully coincides with the tracks mentioned in the postings above.
  • Like 2

Just noticed on Rod in Toronto's list of 5 albums no sign of VH II , Women & Children First or Diver Down ..... are these weaker efforts?
  • Like 1

Picking ONLY 5, I’d go with the first 5 albums.

Seems like a logical starting point
  • Like 1

He said five ALBUMS, not songs. Here:

Van Halen I

Fair Warning

I didn`t see much point picking 5 albums when IMO, only 6 count :bitchslap:
  • Like 1

Well, 1984 is the sixth album and it’s a damn fine album, not too different from imho what Power Windows is to Rush: a little bit too many keyboards for a rock band whose superpowers don’t lie in keyboards. You can’t go wrong with 1984 (or Power Windows) but I’d pick the earlier releases before that (them).

• Like 2

Well, 1984 is the sixth album and it’s a damn fine album, not too different from imho what Power Windows is to Rush: a little bit too many keyboards for a rock band whose superpowers don’t lie in keyboards. You can’t go wrong with 1984 (or Power Windows) but I’d pick the earlier releases before that (them).

I think the first 5 is a sensible move .... and if I pass the induction course, I will report back for a phase 2 plan!!
  • Like 2

Just noticed on Rod in Toronto's list of 5 albums no sign of VH II , Women & Children First or Diver Down ..... are these weaker efforts?

The first single off VHII:

http://youtu.be/llfjDUB66Z4

The first single off 5150:

http://youtu.be/STVcNX7anGU

So what do you think? I know you’re talking about albums but the songs do make up the albums. So where else do you start other than with what was first released back when they were both new?

• Like 2

In order:

Van Halen

Fair Warning

Van Halen II

Women And Children First

Diver Down (if you are fine with covers)

Balance

A Different Kind Of Truth

OU812

Only listen to Van Halen III if you have absolutely nothing to do with your life

• Like 3

So -

- Stuff to avoid?

ZH,

I think you should give the first six albums a go.

The longest of the lot is just over 35 minutes long.

They are “Van Halen”, “Van Halen II”, “Women and Children First”, “Fair Warning”, “Diver Down” & “1984”.

They span the years of 1978 - 1984, with David Lee Roth on vocals, and not a dud among them.

If you dig them you can branch out to the Sammy Hagar years...

...also a fine group of albums, btw.

Happy listening, how exciting for you to be able to discover, in depth, a great band like Van Halen.

• Like 4

I put ADKOT low on my list because it opens up with "Tattoo," which is a song most people consider awful.

I love “A Different Kind of Truth” and I think “Tattoo” is a great song.

:)

Hahaha i love it!!! ....Music brings out differing opinions in us all!!! ..... Makes this forum a fun place to be!
  • Like 1

Only listen to Van Halen III if you have absolutely nothing to do with your life

Only listen to Van Halen III if you are tied to a chair at gun point and unable to plug your ears.

:) :) :)

So you both aren't that keen on it then? :rfl: Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

Only listen to Van Halen III if you are tied to a chair at gun point and unable to plug your ears.

:) :) :)

So you both aren't that keen on it then? :rfl:

it's okay to me, but almost everyone else despises it

the album isn't accessible tho

• Like 2

In this order:

Fair Warning

Van Halen

Van Halen II

Women and Children First

From previous posts elsewhere, you sir, appear to be the chief Van Halen aficionado ...... I must treat your recommendations with the utmost respect. :notworthy:
  • Like 2