Sad news about Alex's bar The Orbit Room

blueschica

One other thing, while I haven't been out to anything in months bars and restaurants in my area are opened back up. They do have restrictions on capacity and hours they can be opened. Staff have to wear masks and everyone needs to be six feet apart if they're not dining together.

It's good that some of these places are back in business. But having to enforce these rules might hurt the owners financially because people might not want to go to a bar where you need to be six feet away from others at all times. It's great if you're a drinking alone kind of person but how are you supposed to chat with folks at the bar from that far away?

ya gotta understand that everyone's lives has to come first before economy

:eyeroll:
  • Like 1

RIP, sounded like fun place, especially when Alex would pop in on occasion :(

Regarding concerts, my Sept 2020 Aerosmith tix were rescheduled to Sep 2021. And I don't believe the 2021 date will happen at this point. Not the best time to have to rely on touring or playing out...

Except Aerosmith will be fine. The bigger acts that have been heading arenas and stadiums for years probably have very little to worry about financially. It's the artists that regular play the smaller and mid level venues that are in trouble. More than likely those larger venues will still be in business a year from now. We can't say the same thing about the smaller clubs and theaters around the world.

you might be surprised to hear about big groups getting bailout funds. i know i was. check it out

http://www.rollingst...-loans-1025111/

Well, the PPP isn;t exactly a bailout fund. It's a loan where, if used for payroll, the business doesn't have to pay it back. Essentially it's an employment fund, as opposed to the unemployment funds that are being doled out. Not much difference, really, other than who writes what check to whom.

yeah, bailout is just an easy way for me to describe the fund and agree with how you explain it.

that said, when you have no cash and you get some with apparently favorable terms, its hard for me to consider it anything but a bailout? time value of money.

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

We have a father and son guitar duo in my band. The son is REALLY good. One of his side ventures is a Rush tribute band. They were set to play a bunch of gigs including the Orbit room for Rush's road crew. Then the pandemic hit. I will post some videos of them when they are ready. this is sad news and it is happening all over town.
  • Like 4

One other thing, while I haven't been out to anything in months bars and restaurants in my area are opened back up. They do have restrictions on capacity and hours they can be opened. Staff have to wear masks and everyone needs to be six feet apart if they're not dining together.

It's good that some of these places are back in business. But having to enforce these rules might hurt the owners financially because people might not want to go to a bar where you need to be six feet away from others at all times. It's great if you're a drinking alone kind of person but how are you supposed to chat with folks at the bar from that far away?

Where did I say that the economy was more important than people's lives? I'm in favor of the restrictions until there's a vaccine or some kind of treatment for covid. It's good that places are opening back up but the restrictions are still going to hurt them financially because people might not want to go out somewhere and put up with following the new guidelines.

Where did I say that the economy was more important than people's lives? I'm in favor of the restrictions until there's a vaccine or some kind of treatment for covid. It's good that places are opening back up but the restrictions are still going to hurt them financially because people might not want to go out somewhere and put up with following the new guidelines.

oof I must've misread it lol

but yes I can agree

A sad reality these days.

Thank you for posting the news. A place I have yet to visit but have wanted to for a long time!

• Like 1

We have a father and son guitar duo in my band. The son is REALLY good. One of his side ventures is a Rush tribute band. They were set to play a bunch of gigs including the Orbit room for Rush's road crew. Then the pandemic hit. I will post some videos of them when they are ready. this is sad news and it is happening all over town.

That's too bad. I am sure that would been a fun gig!

• Like 1

they even told them that Terry Brown would be there. Oh well.
  • Like 1

:doh:
  • Like 1

It's been unfortunate that some bars, and pubs, which were opened around in different provinces, states, and cities for quite a few years have closed because of various reasons, and more, than one reason. Hopefully, there won't be any more permanent closures due to the Coronavirus, and not able to make enough, and more money to cover the costs for keeping them opened, operated, and owned. Edited by Derek19

:doh:

I am sure that he and you will have more opportunities soon.
  • Like 2

This is a post by Tim Notter, the co owner of Alex's bar The Orbit Room. It was a landmark to visit during Rush Cons and fan visits to Toronto. He doesn't really say what will happen going forward but it doesn't look good. :( Another Rush landmark gone?

Dbsqejxh.png

USQEdXSl.png

Becky!

You must listen to me!!

When I went back to Toronto for the GUP 4 Wine Train Tour I went to the Orbit Room with one of my buddies who lives near there.

So this was obviously back in 2018.

The Orbit Room looked like a bomb went off outside in the front of the entrance.

The tiles around the door were missing. Spray painted graffiti.

My friend and I didn't even want to go in but we wanted to get one last look.

As we walked up the creaky stairs we knew this place was going to be shut down one day.

We talked to the bartender for a few minutes. There was no one in the bar.

No live music that night.

The joint looked rundown.

I knew then that The Orbit Room would be jettisoned in to outer space for good.

Very sad for sure.

My ex and I went back to Toronto for the R30 gig. Then we jumped into a cab and went to The Orbit Room for drinks.

Now that was a great experience!!

Rush fans from all around the world went there!

Place was packed!!!

They had a cool reggae band playing there all night.

I bought a t-shirt and a glass mug!

Still have them!

At least I have an incredible memory of that place!!! Bummer yet fitting.

• Like 1

This is a post by Tim Notter, the co owner of Alex's bar The Orbit Room. It was a landmark to visit during Rush Cons and fan visits to Toronto. He doesn't really say what will happen going forward but it doesn't look good. :( Another Rush landmark gone?

Dbsqejxh.png

USQEdXSl.png

Becky!

You must listen to me!!

When I went back to Toronto for the GUP 4 Wine Train Tour I went to the Orbit Room with one of my buddies who lives near there.

The Orbit Room looked like a bomb went off outside in the front of the entrance.

As we walked up the creaky stairs we knew this place was going to be shut down one day.

Very sad for sure.

My ex and I went back to Toronto for the R30 gig. Then we jumped into a cab and went to The Orbit Room for drinks.

Place was packed!!!

Still have them!

Thanks for the update, Earl! So it sounds like I didn't miss much if my goal was to go in the 2020's. I'm glad you had a good night there! I guess there is always Lee Lifeson park to visit if we are ever able to travel to Canada again! :eh:

• Like 3

Dbsqejxh.png

USQEdXSl.png

Becky!

You must listen to me!!

Very sad for sure.

Place was packed!!!

Still have them!

Thanks for the update, Earl! So it sounds like I didn't miss much if my goal was to go in the 2020's. I'm glad you had a good night there! I guess there is always Lee Lifeson park to visit if we are ever able to travel to Canada again! :eh:

I walked past The Orbit Room last Sunday, and obviously, its still closed, and looks even worse for wear now than when Earl went there two years ago.

When you come to Toronto next time, we should go to all the places with Rush significance together!!! I'll be glad to show you around, and of course you and your husband have to know Stella and Veronica!

• Like 1

Dbsqejxh.png

USQEdXSl.png

Becky!

You must listen to me!!

Very sad for sure.

Place was packed!!!

Still have them!

I walked past The Orbit Room last Sunday, and obviously, its still closed, and looks even worse for wear now than when Earl went there two years ago.

When you come to Toronto next time, we should go to all the places with Rush significance together!!! I'll be glad to show you around, and of course you and your husband have to know Stella and Veronica!

Awww, thanks! What fun that would be! Fingers crossed for a vaccine or mass healing soon.

• Like 1

Dbsqejxh.png

USQEdXSl.png

Becky!

You must listen to me!!

Very sad for sure.

Place was packed!!!

Still have them!

Becky! You are funny!!! I did the Lee Lifeson Park that same day!!!! It's very cool and worth a quick visit!!!

• Like 1